How are you all coping?

Remove this Banner Ad

On Saturday evening, I actually giggled when we lost. Stranger than fiction and fits so perfectly.

I think that we are playing better footy than the last half of 2016. Well enough to lose an elimination final. By less than a goal. In the last minute. After leading all game.

I've lowered my expectations a LOT over the years, but this one hurt.

My 8 year old son came running to see if I was ok in that last 30 secs because he thought I had been physically injured, such was my despair.

I never tip the Tiges unless I'm fairly certain of a win. But I needed to gain some ground in my comp, and I knew we could win this one. So I tipped them.

Add to that the stupid memes and every ******* tagging you on Facebook and I was not a happy man.

But alcohol numbed the pain somewhat.

This Dreamtime clash fills me with fear. Could we all handle another sub 6 point loss?

My 8 year old son came running to see if I was ok in that last 30 secs because he thought I had been physically injured, such was my despair.

I never tip the Tiges unless I'm fairly certain of a win. But I needed to gain some ground in my comp, and I knew we could win this one. So I tipped them.

Add to that the stupid memes and every ******* tagging you on Facebook and I was not a happy man.

This Dreamtime clash fills me with fear. Could we all handle another sub 6 point loss?
I think BF would melt

just put your Facebook to private where know one can post stuff on your wall :)

I spent part of Saturday night fielding insults from mates at the pub.
Not because the Tigers lost (and the fact I confidently predicted it 10 minutes into the third quarter and again at three quarter time), but because they thought I picked Richmond and as a consequence of picking GWS no inroads were made into my lead in the pub footy tipping comp.
Then I left and went to the local footy-netball club's ball and got smashed!
Forty-odd years into this crap, I don't get upset over footy. I did until I turned 14.

Coping okay now, I've convinced myself that it was fine that I kicked my laptop against the wall and broke it. I needed a new one anyway.

Now that I can look at things more analytically (on a new laptop), I keep reminding myself that these close games are completely random. Don't listen to any of the crap the media tells you about good teams winning close games, it's not true. The indication of a good team is making sure that more often that not, they don't let teams get close enough that they have to win close games.

The real facts about teams winning lots of close games is they're over performing and about to drop of a cliff.

In 2014 Geelongs record in games where the margin was <10 points was 6-1. They dropped from 3rd in 2014 to 10th in 2015.

Hawthorns record in games <10 points in 2016 was 6-1, look at them now.

The tide will turn, Tigers.

Coping okay now, I've convinced myself that it was fine that I kicked my laptop against the wall and broke it. I needed a new one anyway.

Now that I can look at things more analytically (on a new laptop), I keep reminding myself that these close games are completely random. Don't listen to any of the crap the media tells you about good teams winning close games, it's not true. The indication of a good team is making sure that more often that not, they don't let teams get close enough that they have to win close games.

The real facts about teams winning lots of close games is they're over performing and about to drop of a cliff.

In 2014 Geelongs record in games where the margin was <10 points was 6-1. They dropped from 3rd in 2014 to 10th in 2015.

Hawthorns record in games <10 points in 2016 was 6-1, look at them now.

The tide will turn, Tigers.
Good post. And prior to this season, our record in close games was fine - from 2013 to 2016 we played in 18 games which finished with a margin of 12 points or less, and we won 9 of them.

We'll be fine as long as it doesn't get in the players heads.

Good post. And prior to this season, our record in close games was fine - from 2013 to 2016 we played in 18 games which finished with a margin of 12 points or less, and we won 9 of them.

We'll be fine as long as it doesn't get in the players heads.

50 per cent is not fine.
And oh yeah, it's in the players heads!

Reaction over the last 3 weeks:

Bulldogs - *! Typical to get run down but to take it up to last years premier admirable. Umpires need to look at the deliberate rule #freekickbulldogs

Freo - Jesus - we should be putting those blokes 9 times out of 10 at the G. Inconsistency is a worry, 2 good quarters in 2 weeks. Did well to make a game out of it after being 30 points down. Luck played a massive part in that last centre clearance. Why are they not paying deliberates like last week?!

GWS - FFS. Bulldogs game. Rince and repeat. Bad kicking is bad football. When will we get the rub of the green? Probably never.

GWS easily the most painful of the 3. Compounded by the 2 previous weeks. Didn't help being at a BBQ with a bunch of eagles supporting mates who were deliberately telling me we couldn't lose at 3/4 time. I told then we could easily lose it from here, but knew we only needed one more goal to seal the result. When blokes like jack are missing them from 20m directly in front you know you are going to get rolled. Didn't bother watching the last 3 minutes and left the BBQ early while we were still in front!

My family have an Oh s**t, dad's watching the football let's **** off plan. I consider it payback for when they all sync their periods on me.

I hear you brother...same set up.

But I went a little too far this time. A bit embarrassed actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

made a fool of myself at the crown sports bar having a great old tantrum, had a ripper status melt on my personal facebook page and now deleted half my mates for meme tagging me.

oh and now another week of not tuning into a single afl based television program :thumbsu: ....
other than that, eat'em alive my tiger brothers!
Hahaha the old relentless facebook tag , man its like the tide you can't stop it as a RFC supporter

Luckily I had my 3 week old son in my arms the last 5 minutes of the game...! The calming influence......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back