How bad is Essendon? Jeeeeeez

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have fired Worsfold last week.

He's bitter and twisted in his press conference.

He's a West Coast man through and through that can barely hide his disdain for Essendon, it's boosters, ex-players, etc.

I would have fired Worsfold last week.

He's bitter and twisted in his press conference.

He's a West Coast man through and through that can barely hide his disdain for Essendon, it's boosters, ex-players, etc.
Was a mistake extending his contract and an even bigger mistake letting him stay on this year. He never wanted to be there so should’ve parted ways and given Rutten clean air

Was a mistake extending his contract and an even bigger mistake letting him stay on this year. He never wanted to be there so should’ve parted ways and given Rutten clean air

Really unprofessional how dismissive he was towards important Essendon people.

This year when he's been in a good mood he's merely been passive aggressive. When he gets a bit of criticism he's openly hostile.

I don't know why Essendon people tolerated it.

What's more he's been a crap coach. They treaded water at best under Worsfold.

Well lets have a look at his coaching record.

2008 8-14
2009 10-1-11
2010 7-15

He didn't exactly set the world on fire and a rebuild shouldn't be going backwards almost 4 wins from the previous year. I guess there was some good players to come out of that, but that's all.

They missed a trick not hiring Hardwick.
Yet the bloke you replaced him with couldn't even get a side dope up on PEDs into the finals

Really unprofessional how dismissive he was towards important Essendon people.

This year when he's been in a good mood he's merely been passive aggressive. When he gets a bit of criticism he's openly hostile.

I don't know why Essendon people tolerated it.

What's more he's been a crap coach. They treaded water at best under Worsfold.
How do they tolerate Dodoro for 20 years?

Really?
2011-8th
2012-11th
2013-8th
2014-7th
Not bad in the first 4 years.

Much better placed finishes than...

2008-12th
2009-8th
2010-14th

Essendon in 2013 would of finished 7th had they not been booted from the finals. I don't get why opposition supporters think that Matthew Knights was a better coach than James Hird?? Even if Hird and Thompson didn't coach we'd still not be in a very good position today.

Dank, Robertson and Thompson all came from Geelong. They were all at fault for the supplements program. James Hird was only to blame for trusting the wrong people, but then again it's hard not to trust a bloke that was a premiership captain and a 2 time premiership coach at Geelong. He was a young and untryed coach who trusted the wrong kind of people at the club.

2008-12th
2009-8th
2010-14th

Essendon in 2013 would of finished 7th had they not been booted from the finals. I don't get why opposition supporters think that Matthew Knights was a better coach than James Hird?? Even if Hird and Thompson didn't coach we'd still not be in a very good position today.

Dank, Robertson and Thompson all came from Geelong. They were all at fault for the supplements program. James Hird was only to blame for trusting the wrong people, but then again it's hard not to trust a bloke that was a premiership captain and a 2 time premiership coach at Geelong. He was a young and untryed coach who trusted the wrong kind of people at the club.
The only year Hird didn't have Bomber Thompson pulling the strings they finished bottom 4, the bloke got outcoached by Mark Neeld, he was absolutely hopeless as a coach

Yet the bloke you replaced him with couldn't even get a side dope up on PEDs into the finals

The players under James Hird came from the Knights and Sheedy era, so it's not like he inherited a great list to start with and just say Matthew Knights coaches on and Hird doesn't coach we would still be where we are today regardless. We weren't going in any direction under Knights. Knights was very good with the young players, but didn't really respect the senior players. It wouldn't sit well with me if I was a premiership player playing against an opposition player that's close to his age then years down the track he's coaching me, but disrespecting me and the other senior players that were champions of the club. It's all in Matthew Lloyd's book. The fact that Knights once said "Scott Lucas is not in our best 22" yet plays a spud like Quinn in games including that final which if memory serves me correctly we didn't play a tall in the ruck, well either that or we didn't have any talls.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We should never have got Hird or any of them to the club, but we should never have got Knights either. We might as well have stuck with Kevin Sheedy. I mean we have kept the same dud recruiter for 22 years and unlike Sheedy he's accomplished nothing, but yet Essendon are not quick to get rid of him, but wanted Sheedy out for supposedly being too stale.

Knights is a great development coach and was a solid player at Richmond, I'll give him that much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players under James Hird came from the Knights and Sheedy era, so it's not like he inherited a great list to start with and just say Matthew Knights coaches on and Hird doesn't coach we would still be where we are today regardless. We weren't going in any direction under Knights. Knights was very good with the young players, but didn't really respect the senior players. It wouldn't sit well with me if I was a premiership player playing against an opposition player that's close to his age then years down the track he's coaching me, but disrespecting me and the other senior players that were champions of the club. It's all in Matthew Lloyd's book. The fact that Knights once said "Scott Lucas is not in our best 22" yet plays a spud like Quinn in games including that final which if memory serves me correctly we didn't play a tall in the ruck, well either that or we didn't have any talls.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We should never have got Hird or any of them to the club, but we should never have got Knights either. We might as well have stuck with Kevin Sheedy. I mean we have kept the same dud recruiter for 22 years and unlike Sheedy he's accomplished nothing, but yet Essendon are not quick to get rid of him, but wanted Sheedy out for supposedly being too stale.

Knights is a great development coach and was a solid player at Richmond, I'll give him that much.
If anything the bloke that replaced Sheedy was always gonna be in for a hard time

Well lets have a look at his coaching record.

2008 8-14
2009 10-1-11
2010 7-15

He didn't exactly set the world on fire and a rebuild shouldn't be going backwards almost 4 wins from the previous year. I guess there was some good players to come out of that, but that's all.

They missed a trick not hiring Hardwick.
A rebuild isn't exactly linear. Going by that logic, Richmond sacking dimma in 2016 would have been the correct decision. Thankfully we didn't go down that road.

I'm not saying Knights is a good or bad coach, but it appears that as soon as something even remotely didn't go Essendons way they sacked him for a favourite son. As a result we really don't know if he was going to be a good or bad coach.

Remember, he replaced Sheedy who wasn't doing that much better when he was moved on and turned over the list.

2008-12th
2009-8th
2010-14th

Oh dear. The delusion is still strong with this one. Opposition supporters rank knights higher because he didn't decide to dope the team, resulting in WADA suspensions, a spoon, and 8 years of failure.

Gleefully absolving the HEAD COACH of any responsibility, when he was also under the needle getting tanning drugs which turned him orange and gave him a constant erection... Well yeah I'm sure he had no idea that the players were being taken off site injected with God knows what multiple times a week. It was all big bad bomber and dank's fault. Shane charters was a good bloke too and not a drug smuggler.

Knight was a terrible coach and at the time I didn’t care who he replaced by I just wanted him gone. Unfortunately our next coach made some utterly stupid decisions and here we are

The list isn't horrible. Looks more like cultural and leadership issues to me.
I disagree. I see Essendon as being slightly less bad than North, with many similarities. Lloyd has just called for a North style cull, and clearing out some of the coaching staff.

Both North and Essendon have captains who are past their best, key forwards who may want out, and poor midfields. Accepting where the list is at may help accelerate their rebuilds. Essendon has more quality players eg Stringer, Shiel, Saad who have been brought in, but North has extra draft capital (2 first round picks, and having not traded those picks away previously - so if lucky those players selected may develop in the next 3-4 years)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back