How bad is Essendon? Jeeeeeez

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Richmond, the large and vocal supporter base and big cotories make it hard to follow through on any plan that involves a large amount of short term pain.

Having said that I’m loving it. Like most fans enjoyed the Tigers self inflicted misery, most are now enjoying Essendons. I especially love Lloyd complaining about culture, when he and his mates got coach sacked because he was asked to play as a decoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Knights was a horrible coach for the bombers. Good riddance.

These comments re Lloyd playing career and Knights knifing - is this genuine?

Simplified and mayo added. But a rumored senior revolt behind the scenes saw the cotories step in and force a change. With the Watson’s assumes to be key players. Some Essendon in the knows on here are adamant that it happened and others are adamant that it didn’t. Makes for tasty Big Footy laughs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the buck stops with the coach, but I do feel a bit sorry for Woosha. He walked into an absolute s**t show at Essendon and had to try and pick up the pieces. Did ok for awhile with the cattle he could have. Injuries have played a big part this year but he's also had the succession process breathing down his neck all year. Who is coaching the club? Is it Woosha or Rutten? The club was destroyed by Hird and co and it's going to take a long time to come back from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These comments re Lloyd playing career and Knights knifing - is this genuine?
They didn't get on and Knights definitely asked him to play a different role up the ground to develop their other forwards and he retired instead. Not sure about the leading to him being sacked.

He'll come in and put a lock down on Essendon
The defensive side of our game is already in line with his policies
-Only move if you really, really, really have to
-Keep 1.5m distance between you and others
-No physical contact
-Physical activity for 1/24th of the game
-Stay home (mentally anyway). Do not turn up for work if you can.

They probably just need a pick me up
the drugs did nothing
our 2012 was nothing special. Had a good run, soft tissue apocalypse comes in, and it stops.
It was the ASADA investigation/trial by media that had us at our best in two decades (2013).

We just need a good controversy is all.
(also, i suspect Hird was a good coach when it came to game/player buy in stuff)

Being a Richmond supporter, I take very seriously my responsibility to hate clubs like Essendon and rejoice in their lack of success. So please don’t think the following is me not meeting that very important responsibility. Sadly however, sometimes we need to have some balanced insights....

I think Essendon are on a good track now. When Worsfold says in his press conferences the club is not prioritising immediate onfield success this year, I cannot see any good reason to disbelieve him. When foolish media types criticise the coaching handover situation without pointing to any real and balanced reason as to why it should be a big problem, I ignore them. The bombers are pointing their guns at the future and holding their nerve well and well done for it.

Worsfold seems to me to have done a really good job at Essendon, and has done what he was employed to do. The club coaching had been in the hands of people who were clearly on the wrong track, and Worsfold seems to have played a constructive role in fixing it. If I were Rutten and Caracella, I would really appreciate having had Woosha there this year. He has taken the brunt of the media, kept complete faith with the direction Rutten/Caracella have set for the future, and allowed them to work away in the background unmolested by the media, setting the team up for the future. I have little doubt Worsfold has also contributed much of value himself whilst not appearing to interfere with the Rutten/Caracella blueprint.

“Lists” can be overrated. If your list is old and slow this can often be fixed quickly with the injection of 3-4 quicker younger players, and this can be done in as little as one off season. Similarly if you lack in other areas you can often fix it rapidly. What great playing assets do Essendon currently have? In no particular order:

- Ridley, had a super season, just looks a really good player to me, important component in modern footy, hybrid interceptor who is a good ball user.

- Stringer, was on fire before his unfortunate ankle injury. He was being used very intelligently and was really hurting opposition teams. Give him the benefit of the off season and expect big things from him next year.

- McDonald-Tipungwuti. Terrific small forward, among the top 5 in the AFL imo, great energy and really good ball handler and skilful user.

- Saad, excellent in his role as a backline conduit, giving great run and drive from defence.

- Parish, really nice old fashioned well balanced footballer, uses it well hand and foot both sides of the body.

- Langford, adaptable big bodied player who is competent in the midfield and forward. Uses the ball well.

- Smith, another player who has shown good adaptability, contributing strongly as a mid, defensive forward or even latterly on the backline. I hate him and want to smack him, but he can play.

To me those guys are consistently winning or breaking even in their positions and would slot into more or less any AFL team in their roles right now.

What great potential players do the Bombers have?

- Daniher if he can get his body right, would add enormously to this team. The difference between having him as a key forward target and say the admirable but less equipped Jacob Townsend is enormous.

- Draper. He will improve sharply, looks a good and has been managed really sensibly this season. The ruck is a big problem to solve and I think he should solve it for the Bombers in future years.

- Laverde. Thought he was just starting to play his 2nd/3rd tall forward role really nicely before unfortunately injured. Look forward to good things from him from next year, strong overhead.

- Mosquito. Tragic injury, will have to wait until 2022 now but he really looked like he had something to offer in the future. Will get fitter and stronger, but great pace and balance.

- Zerk-Thatcher. Not there yet, but maybe just starting to show some ability to cope at AFL level.

So that is 12 still young players who your future team can be built around. I have deliberately left your main midfielders off that list because I have a few queries there.

- Merrett is a decent player but can fall into the accumulation of undamaging disposals trap a bit.

- Shiel looks like he should be able to cut teams to ribbons but his kicking is diabolical and not sure his hand-balling is much better. Probably should have let Carlton have him.

- McGrath. Lively player but at this stage can be a bit panicky ball in hand. Needs to develop composure, and improve his handballing skills and vision as well. Still very young and could derive great benefit from his first full season in the midsection.

- Heppell. Obviously when injuries don’t give you a run at it you don’t look so good. Good user, maybe lacks that bit of pace.

With Parish and Langford at hand, I might be considering letting one of these blokes go, perhaps in order to find a damaging wing type who can really deliver the ball into the forward line to advantage.

But overall, you add in the remaining good years left in the better class veterans Hooker, Hurley, Zaharakis, you have just about got a decent team. As ever in AFL football, if you can’t get near your best team on the park in their best shape, it is too tough to compete seriously with the stronger teams in the comp.

I think the bombers made a bad move paying such a high price for Shiel. There were some really good players left in the 2018 draft they could have got with just one of the picks they surrendered for Shiel. Plenty of the players who went from the pick 11 they gave up in 2019 look like being good too. And those players could well have been up and going within 3 seasons or so in time for Essendon’s best chance of going all the way.

But overall, I am bullish on the bombers for the next few seasons. I think they have shown enough this season whilst adapting to a new game plan and also with consistently long absentee lists to indicate they will be worth following.

The other misleading thing this season that everyone has overlooked is with Essendon and Melbourne missing the match early season, they have both had to jam an extra match into an already overloaded part of the fixture and it is easy to see it has affected both clubs adversely, and neither has moaned about it, they have just soldiered on.
very good summary 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back