How bad your 2020 Year of Sports going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Been fortunate.

West Coast - contending, minimum Week 2 finals expectations | Also living in FNQ fun to see the Lions and Suns up and about and QLD become 'home of football', game attendance still attainable
Raiders - contending, minimum Week 2 finals expectations, and pretty good neutral value week-to-week
Arsenal - Another FA Cup win, this time against Chelsea. EPL 8th and 14-14-10 record is bad by our standards, but not unexpected from a late 10s mindset and still qualified for Europa I guess.
Kilmarnock/Valencia - mid-table, which is fine.
I've also had a soft spot for the Mariners since the A-league began (at least until a Wollongong/NSW South Coast franchise began), and they had a bit of a horror year on & off-field

ATP tour - expected washout since March, but Djoker (my big 4) winning a slam, Barty still being #1 and Australia progressing in Davis Cup all happened.

Sad to see so many classic events postponed/cancelled, but sport hasn't been much of a priority to me this year so I'm not as invested, for better or worse. Getting the Women's World Cup and Leeds being promoted were some of the good stories.

Crows: 0-17 it will be...but hey hey pick 1 so it's not a complete loss

Redbacks: I'm hoping the season is called off otherwise it will be another wooden spoon

Redlegs: lift boys, it's all on you!

Oh, and I've been to 5 games this year, so not a complete loss

Liverpool FC...life's good
Melbourne Victory...shizanhowzan...board needs to take a good hard look at itself for hiring recycled coaches and players
49ers...robbed in the SB
Port in the AFL...job not yet done
Port in the SANFL..N/A
Williamstown in the VFL...N/A
Storm...second but nothing more than a premiership this year will do given the last two finals campaigns
Boston Celtics...okay, slightly better than 50%
Adelaide 36ers..disappointing

Pretty happy with how the Saints are going, have exceeded my expectations.
Western United will make the finals at the first time of asking, which is a pretty solid achievement.
The worst part for me has been that the VFL and BFNL seasons were called off, so no Port Melbourne or Redan games to enjoy.

AFL - Adelaide (2017 promised so much, failed to deliver then fell of a cliff culminating in a likely winless season)

Premier League - Newcastle United. Decade of hell, relegations culminating in promise of an uber rich takeover this year that fell through.

NBA - Golden State Warriors - fell off a cliff and now not even playing.

NHL - San Jose Sharks - spent a decade and a half promising and falling short fell off a cliff this year.

NFL - Jacksonville Jaguars - straight back off a cliff last year, not much hope for this year.

NRL - Cronulla Sharks. Meh. Might make finals, won't make an impact if they do.

A-League - Western United. Decent for first season but meh.

Anyone else's teams across codes as diabolical as this in 2020?
Nice thread Greenac, original and fun. In that spirit, may I ask if you are really good at picking losers or are you the "kiss of death" to teams that you choose to support?

Port, Lakers on top, F1 still boring, no issues :)

Brady rejuvenated....

Not bad at all

Port - Sitting top with a good chance of finishing top 4
Manchester United - 1 win away from a Europa League final, and qualified for Champions League
Cleveland Cavaliers - Another development year, but has easily been the most fun non LeBron Cavs team to watch in years.
New York Jets - Ehhhh I mean cant be a perfect list.

Liverpool - Trophy is in the bag
Port - So far, so good (fingers crossed)
Ronnie O'Sullivan - At time of writing, he is ahead in the semi-final (fingers crossed again)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice thread Greenac, original and fun. In that spirit, may I ask if you are really good at picking losers or are you the "kiss of death" to teams that you choose to support?

Having supported all (except Western United of course) for 20+ years I can't give myself that much credit to assume I had anything to do with their downfalls but it would be right in the playbook of the sporting Gods who do like to regularly * with me so maybe I accumulated a fair bit of bad karma (can't imagine how...). At least in a few years I can look back at 2020 and laugh about how it was such a campaigner of a year in the sporting sense and outside of sport too.

Sidenote, I've finally given in to Formula One and I love it, cannot believe I never gave it a chance before. I don't think even my current sporting bad luck would stretch to cursing Mercedes if I picked them.

Having supported all (except Western United of course) for 20+ years I can't give myself that much credit to assume I had anything to do with their downfalls but it would be right in the playbook of the sporting Gods who do like to regularly fu** with me so maybe I accumulated a fair bit of bad karma (can't imagine how...). At least in a few years I can look back at 2020 and laugh about how it was such a campaigner of a year in the sporting sense and outside of sport too.

Sidenote, I've finally given in to Formula One and I love it, cannot believe I never gave it a chance before. I don't think even my current sporting bad luck would stretch to cursing Mercedes if I picked them.
I was so desparate for sport that I was watching Marble League.

Having supported all (except Western United of course) for 20+ years I can't give myself that much credit to assume I had anything to do with their downfalls but it would be right in the playbook of the sporting Gods who do like to regularly fu** with me so maybe I accumulated a fair bit of bad karma (can't imagine how...). At least in a few years I can look back at 2020 and laugh about how it was such a campaigner of a year in the sporting sense and outside of sport too.

Had a mate who's two main teams are Geelong and Buffalo Bills. The 1990's were not kind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back