How big a tug is the 'burgess factor'

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon the Crows hierarchy attached their wagon to him and just believe everything he tells them no questions asked.

Also believe he played a part in the Nicks resigning as it wouldn’t surprise me if again the hierarchy believe given their friendship they are a package deal.

I think this is unfair, he has definitely made players fitter.

You only have to look at how many more marking contests ROB is getting to compared to 2021. Sure, he doesn't actually mark them and the opposition basically crumb of his concrete hands but that is one positive.

Also, you will find Lachie "leadership group" Murphy and Ben Keays are able to get involved in more chains of play, I mean it's a turnover every time but if they weren't fitter, they'd never be able to get involved.

It's probably too early in the season to tell this year. So far Adelaide have had:
  • One genuine comeback where they finished over the top of an opponent, albeit left way too late
  • One relatively strong finish in a close'ish match against Geelong, but the opposition were able to withstand it and ice the game relatively early
  • One strong start with basically nothing after half time. With the caveat that it was an away trip to Perth with multiple players suffering injuries in game
One thing that did get me thinking was a random aside from the commentary team from the second quarter game vs Geelong, to the effect that the Cats were working back harder than Adelaide were. Which made me wonder how much of Adelaide's strong finishes are an out and out fitness advantage, and how much is consciously saving energy in the first half to make a push later in the game. (I'm not saying this would inherently be a bad strategy. But it would be a departure from the rhetoric around Burgess)

He’s done an exceptional job. We had probably the lowest rate of soft tissues injuries last year and hes managed our older players as good as humanely possible, just look at Tex last year.

But if you’re expecting him to transform our players into super humans who overrun the opposition then thats your problem. No one overruns anyone, this is a league of professionals.

In terms of reducing our soft tissue injuries, he seems to have done a good job. Certainly better than the shitshow we had before.

In terms of fitness, who knows? Our game plan seems custom designed to minimise our energy expenditure, given nobody ahead of the ball ever seems to be moving to lead or to create space. We're not struggling to run matches out, but we're also barely running in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd still like to know how we have midfielders in their fourth season still building "midfield tanks" whilst other teams get these players up and running by the second pre season?

Who are these players? Pedlar, Rachele, etc? Who knows whether they have "midfield tanks" or not... the club refuses to play them in the midfield for any period of time to find out!

I recall Port and Melbourne supporters saying that it takes 2 or 3 years to reach physical fitness under Burgess then the following year everyone is cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back