How big the fallout for The Loser of Crows v Dockers at Metricon ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
In a shortened 17 game season, and both teams winless so far, Sunday's game up the Gold Coast between two of the worst performing teams in the league so far takes on extra significance (especially for the loser)

Granted, The Dockers are still hit hard by injury and have shown a lot more competitive spirit than The Crows so far (they were desperately unlucky against The Lions) but still, it's been a rocky and disappointing start for them, admittedly all away from WA so far, so I think they have some legit excuses.

Think there will be more at stake for the Adelaide Crows on Sunday, another poor performance/thrashing and that club will be plunged into another crisis I dare say, collectively the entire list and coaching staff have to lift, I get the fact that are bottoming out and stuck with cooked/past their prime players, but for morale k's sake (at least for their supporters/members) they need to put up a fight (Still think they can well and truly win this if they are mentally switched on)

In a shortened 17 game season, and both teams winless so far, Sunday's game up the Gold Coast between two of the worst performing teams in the league so far takes on extra significance (especially for the loser)

Granted, The Dockers are still hit hard by injury and have shown a lot more competitive spirit than The Crows so far (they were desperately unlucky against The Lions) but still, it's been a rocky and disappointing start for them, admittedly all away from WA so far, so I think they have some legit excuses.

Think there will be more at stake for the Adelaide Crows on Sunday, another poor performance/thrashing and that club will be plunged into another crisis I dare say, collectively the entire list and coaching staff have to lift, I get the fact that are bottoming out and stuck with cooked/past their prime players, but for morale k's sake (at least for their supporters/members) they need to put up a fight (Still think they can well and truly win this if they are mentally switched on)

Freo are being deprogrammed from the coaching of the great enemy of football, it will take some time.

Crows have low expectations although if Freo smash them then there will epic discontent

Don't think there's any fallout. Freo have a bunch of talented young players and two of the best players in the game. They pushed us at home, and had one bad quarter against the Power that proved the difference. If they lose it becomes a development year with the prospect of a number one pick.
Adelaide has already been under the pump and their list issues have been pretty widely discussed. I tend to think if Adelaide lose we'll hear more about it and there will be even more "where to now" articles about the Crows but there's already been plenty of those.

Both teams are in a rebuild

The measure of success in 2020 isn't wins and losses but rather game time into youth and improvements in structure. The 10 minute periods where they dominate and the regularity in which that occurs is another KPI.

Are Freo really rebuilding? They've been cycling out quite a few players over the past few seasons, but they're more a youngish team with enough senior depth to compete against most teams.

The competition is just so even at the moment they've fallen close to the bottom after a few unlucky losses.

Freo would want to be ahead of Adelaide.

have had 6 first round picks in the last 3 years, 5 of which are top 10, also traded a pick 6 for Hogan.

With arguably the best player in the comp Nat Fyfe at 28 years old, they’d be wanting to show signs of improvement sooner rather than later. They need to beat teams like Adelaide that have hit rock bottom.

Freo would want to be ahead of Adelaide.

have had 6 first round picks in the last 3 years, 5 of which are top 10, also traded a pick 6 for Hogan.

With arguably the best player in the comp Nat Fyfe at 28 years old, they’d be wanting to show signs of improvement sooner rather than later. They need to beat teams like Adelaide that have hit rock bottom.
Precislely. Adelaide don't even have the top draft picks currently. It's just over the hill older players and a few ok talents.

Are Freo really rebuilding? They've been cycling out quite a few players over the past few seasons, but they're more a youngish team with enough senior depth to compete against most teams.

The competition is just so even at the moment they've fallen close to the bottom after a few unlucky losses.

missing our 2 key defenders, which is killing us at the moment. Few too many injuries still. Wilson Hill Acres just coming back.

agree with your assessment, just waiting on the kids to get to the 50 game mark and get rid of the list cloggers. Not too far away

Don't think there's any fallout. Freo have a bunch of talented young players and two of the best players in the game. They pushed us at home, and had one bad quarter against the Power that proved the difference. If they lose it becomes a development year with the prospect of a number one pick.
Adelaide has already been under the pump and their list issues have been pretty widely discussed. I tend to think if Adelaide lose we'll hear more about it and there will be even more "where to now" articles about the Crows but there's already been plenty of those.

Freo can’t get the n1 pick. Have a 260 or so point deficit from getting Henry at pick 9 last season. So pick 1 becomes pick 2 regardless.

Fremantle have a few excuses for being 0-4:

1. New coach, so a bit of lag to learn gameplan and experiment with B22.

2. Haven't played a home-game yet.

3. Injuries to key players like Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling.

4. Losing to teams that are showing really good form.

Right now we're not copping a lot of flak because people weren't expecting us to be good anyway and we've showed enough signs to be given the benefit of the doubt. But Adelaide have looked like a huge basketcase, so if Freo lose those excuses go away and we're in some real s**t. So I think we have more to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Number 2 pick at best I think as we have a points deficit
Either way, danger game for both sides, but for differing reasons (such a non-committal statement, I know)
But I am feeling good about Young, Serong, Cerra & hopefully more new youngens

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crows are rebuilding and will probably take next year as well to bottom out.

2015 24.76 avg age
2016 25.14
2017 25.36
2018 25.90
2019 26.43
2020 25.32

Fremantle is building up and will be disappointed, hub or no hub.

2015 26.57
2016 25.96
2017 24.92
2018 24.40
2019 24.81
2020 24.95

Freo needs this more than the Crows.

I just remembered a big caveat: ask again after the West Coast/Sydney game.

An Eagles loss and I think we're getting close to the stage where we write them out of finals contention (usually 1-4 would do it in a 22 game season, but hard to tell with 17 games where WC get a string of home games.) The West Australian media will be all in on that story, and I doubt Freo can do much to steal a headline.

Last edited:
Crows are at rock bottom, no expectation and arguably their worst point in club history. Theyve got nothing to lose here, and regardless of the rest of 2020 their focus will be on ripping the place apart in the off season and giving Nicks a fresh start in 2021 and a plan for the future.

A loss this week means nothing for them we don't already know.

We expect Adelaide to be rubbish and Freo to be at least competitive so probably Freo if they lose, which I don't think will happen.

Simple:

Pick 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back