Roast How bout we kick like AFL players should

Remove this Banner Ad

****ing joke. Seriously, the only team that is gonna beat us in the finals is Collingwood.

Lucky it meant nothing this time, but there goes a 30 scoring shot loss to really help the confidence.

Disgrace.

****ing joke. Seriously, the only team that is gonna beat us in the finals is Collingwood.

Lucky it meant nothing this time, but there goes a 30 scoring shot loss to really help the confidence.

Disgrace.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

It doesn't help with all publicity the players are getting saying how bad their accuracy is. Haha it sucks for em it does. But I don't think accuracy will cost us in a final. Either that or I can't think about how much it'll hurt to loose a final due to accuracy

I think Beamsy has just had one of those years. Has taken a lot of hard shots and rushed ones - today was the first real howler of his.

Daisy, Davis and Clokey however are just plain shockers.

Totally agree with Syphon, we will destroy ourselves with our goal kicking in finals if nothing is done. We have some very straight kickers in the likes of Dawes (set shots), Jolly, Davis (my personal opinion), Didak and L. Brown and some could include Pendlebury, Sidebottom etc... but then we have a le-creme of inaccuracy coming from Cloke which is ripping us apart and other players are now showing the signs of inaccuracy.

We need to seriously get a hold of this problem and figure a 'quick fix' before it destroys our chances of a 2010 premiership.

FIX IT AND FIX IT NOW.
They should be out now kicking set shots.

I remember years ago, we (my old club team) kicked 5.20 in a game, pretty much the coach flicked the lights on after the game, out we went set shots, from 30 out. You had to stay there until each player kicked 10 in a row.
We were out until 9:30pm, the next week we kicked 13.1. You learn to care about your kicking when you do things like that.

I think Beamsy has just had one of those years. Has taken a lot of hard shots and rushed ones - today was the first real howler of his.

Daisy and Davis I would back to nail a sealer in a grand final. Beams, cloke or the caff however...

As per usual, the team will go on record this week saying we know we need to improve our goalkicking, etc and will back our players to do this, yet 100% wont do a thing about it except talk.

We have finished off the home and away season kicking more points than goals during the year. The last team to do that and win the premiership was WCE in 94. History is against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our domination of play across the ground is almost astounding. I can't think of a Collingwood team for at least the last 10-15 years that has so solidly, repetitively dominated the field of play. We completely suffocate teams for long period of time, we get tonnes of clearances, I50's, shots on goal.

If we kicked accurately and went 3-0 in the finals we could quite easily be considered one of the greatest modern teams for a single year. (I'm not talking about a dynasty or anything ridiculous, but we could clearly position ourselves as the best in the competition).

It's amazing how poorly we kick for goal given how strong we are in almost every other facet of football.

So, that's the problem, what's the answer?

Different tactics? I've read a lot on the topic, including from players who themselves have suffered some serious yips. Is it a matter of kicking at a bin (stationary single target) rather than between two points? A fair bit points to this being a potential savour for many as the two points preys mentally on the footballer.

Whitecoats? Get some psychs? Find out what makes them tick, sit them on a couch and work out whether there is some mental problem? It works for smoking, it works for drug addiction, it works for some serious mental illnesses. No it doesn't work for everyone, but it's clearly indisputable that mental issues can be at least alleviated through intervention no? Spend some $$$ and try.

Coaches? Ok, so we have a problem. We need it resolved. How about we employ 3-4 of the best goalkickers we've seen in the modern era and see what they can do. We're not giving them a 12 month $200,000 job forever, either. And regardless, if we can get over the problematic mindset and actually win a Grand Final because of it, it's priceless.

Even considering the cost, the losses we'll experience from a failed grand final would probably exceed anything we'd spend on actually winning the damn thing. Financially, there should be no arguments preventing us doing anything and everything to address it.

Maybe it's spending every night out there this week kicking goals. Kicking at a point. Kicking it into your face.

All I know is we don't need to polish much. If we play like we did this afternoon we'll win the flag. We just need to kick the F^^ goals!

Daisy and Davis I would back to nail a sealer in a grand final. Beams, cloke or the caff however...

calm down everyone. we've been kicking like this all year and still managed to dominate the season like never before. All the talk about will just psyche everyone out.
The only solution is for the players to relax...and handball to Dids!:D

after 1/4 time it was reasonable

calm down everyone. we've been kicking like this all year and still managed to dominate the season like never before. All the talk about will just psyche everyone out.
The only solution is for the players to relax...and handball to Dids!

These comments don't acknowledge the psychology of the situation.

If you can't convert you give the opposition hope. So many times this year we could have destroyed the confidence of opponents but left the door open and they've exploited the weakness. And it is a weakness. Psychological, technical, whatever, it's there and it's an Achilles Heal.

From Monday until we get to the end of this season, 2-4pm on training days, every position forward of CHB should be practising every conceivable set shot. If they can access the "G" do it there, otherwise, do it anywhere!

Get Daics, BT and McKenna in to coach their techniques. The return from set shots this year is just ridiculous.

It is a no-brainer...the goal kicking does need to be addressed.

Every person behind the CFC knows that.

Given that, as a general principle, you wouldn't tamper with individuals' techniques at this late point in the season, then the only reasonable thing to do, is practice as much as you can, replicating the game day situation as amuch as possible.

The training sessions I've been to, have the players taking dobs from 40 or 50.

Great.

However, in the game, there's a f*cking player on the mark.

Also, there's guys around you trying to put you off, believe it or not.

Not at training there isn't, believe it or not.

How the fu*k, can you expect to kick straight in a game, if you are not practicing it at your training.

Hello CFC coaches, pls don't think by magic, it'll come right.

Today's game should have been dead and buried, before any last qtr heroics.

Everyone knew this would happen. well it did...and thanks be, it was in a dead game, though if the swans lose tonight it could still bite us in the arse.

I won't actually mind that much if we get beaten by a better team this year ( well I will, but i say that)

However, if we get beaten by an inferior team, simply because we were not clever, then I will be so piissed off.

eg cos we didn't practise goal kicking under as near to match conditions as you can muster at training, or because we didn't give the team flu shots etc etc

If anyone at the club reads this s**t, please PLEASE practice goal kicking simulating match conditions as much as possible.

\

Still dont know how Beams missed that goal.
Absolute sitter for a AFL standard footballer.
Simply not good enough from Dayne.
If he kicked through the ball he would've won us the match as it was on target.
I'd say he choked.Don't like using that word but on this occassion he did.Unfortuntely.

These comments don't acknowledge the psychology of the situation.

If you can't convert you give the opposition hope. So many times this year we could have destroyed the confidence of opponents but left the door open and they've exploited the weakness. And it is a weakness. Psychological, technical, whatever, it's there and it's an Achilles Heal.

From Monday until we get to the end of this season, 2-4pm on training days, every position forward of CHB should be practising every conceivable set shot. If they can access the "G" do it there, otherwise, do it anywhere!

Get Daics, BT and McKenna in to coach their techniques. The return from set shots this year is just ridiculous.

Fair enough but I dare say its too late to be tampering with technique. As for the pscyhology of it all, IMHO I think doing more practice now will TURN it into an even bigger issue. I say keep on working on the game plan - the reality is that the more we keep it on on fwd line (even if we don't goal) the less likely the opposition scores.

I'm not disagreeing with the changes people are suggesting - I just say this is the wrong time to be doing it

Still dont know how Beams missed that goal.
Absolute sitter for a AFL standard footballer.
Simply not good enough from Dayne.
If he kicked through the ball he would've won us the match as it was on target.
I'd say he choked.Don't like using that word but on this occassion he did.Unfortuntely.

It's called pressure mate, in front of 76,000 people to win the game he missed. Big bloody woop, he is a 19 year old and will learn from this experience.

I think we all have to accept that this is one of our weaknesses, and it stems from our game plan (playing wide). We are going to miss a fair few shots, but we know we are capable of kicking winning scores as well. So I think it is a non-issue. Also the way we play, many kicks are rushed as we are relying on turnovers and quick kicks on goal. It isn't going to change this season so move on.

When we kick 13.20 in a GF and the opposition kick 13.8 then we will see whose laughing ;)

I don't mind it if we miss shots from the boundary but he was 30 out directly in front.
And he has been missing reasonably easy shots all year. Like I said I love how he plays but his kicking at goal is terrible.

Who is the goalkicking coach at collingwood?

I cannot believe the appalling standard of this team's kicking for goal. It has been a blight upon their games all of 2010. Who actually takes responsibility for instructing goal-kicking at the club? If this situation is not rectified soon, it may cost the team not only a final but perhaps even a flag.

I heard Jason Dunstall say on the radio some weeks ago that after every training session he would take 100 shots at goal. Now if it was good enough for him it is certainly good enought for our forwards.

I would strongly urge the club to consider the following individuals as being part-time kiciking consultants over the next month. They are Peter McKenna; Matthew Lloyd; Peter Daicos; Scott Lucas; or even Jason Dunstall. Can you think of anybody else that would be suitable? This weakness needs to be addressed ASAP.

Finally, there is no way Fraser can play in this team again. Far too soft and does not do enough damage around the ground with 7 disposals; 3 marks; and zero goals. Simply has no significant physical presence. The sooner Leigh Brown is back the better.

In relation to September, I am just hoping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back