Opinion How can this Geelong side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be some very nervous supporters and most importantly, players come September. Expect Geelong to win one of their finals and then choke late September. Will be interesting to see if Dangerfield can get more than 10 effective disposals in '22.

In all seriousness, credit where credit is due. They have definitely improved and whilst I still think their midfield can be exploited, it's improved throughout this season and they may well continue to improve. I'm still expecting them to fall over but that's not based on what they've shown this year.
Most importantly?
Why, because our nerves dictate how the players perform?

A Dangerfield team has never won a premiership. The difference between him and Dusty and Petracca is they get bigger the bigger the game gets. He gets smaller. He has never delivered when it counts and I am comfortable betting my house on him not getting it done again.

He has literally had back to back finals of 35 and 39 touches, more than half contested, and by his standards low Clanger counts (5 and 5) and we got beaten easily in both games. What is he supposed to do in games like that? He’s had 2 games of 25-30 touches and 4 goals in finals.

This notion that he just goes missing or doesn’t turn up is a myth. Has he had a game in a prelim or GF where he’s just turned it on for 25 minutes and turned a game on its head? No he hasn’t. But to do that he needs SOMETHING from his teammates too

Nothing can stop this Geelong side.

Clearly they will never lose again.

I look forward to back to back to back to back for the rest of my life (however long the Lord has left for me).
Exactly

Geelong will forever attract ex Geelong falcon players/country boys willing to play for below market value. Coupled with 11 games/finals at KP they should just make the grand final the ‘who plays Geelong for the cup this year’

Exactly

Geelong will forever attract ex Geelong falcon players/country boys willing to play for below market value. Coupled with 11 games/finals at KP they should just make the grand final the ‘who plays Geelong for the cup this year’
Almost spot on.

It will be "who plays Geelong to lose the cup to them again".

And don't forget, its not KP we play at. Its The Cheat Ground.

Exactly

Good point about the "come home" factor. Geelong is the only team to have a whole region to themselves. If you want to live on the Surf Coast or inland it's a no-brainer, you'll want to go to Geelong.

If you want to play in Melbourne then you've got a bunch of clubs to choose from, and all the interstate clubs have a competitor.

Geelong also do very well out of the father/son rule, they're a fertile bunch 😀

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was beautiful seeing a team full of old pensioners rip your “invincible” mob to shreds in 2011.
Oh please

We were well cooked by GF day, Geelong were favourites from memory, not to mention the 16 goal rout in the last home and away game

2008... now there was an upset of an "invincible" side, biggest choke in history

Oh please

We were well cooked by GF day, Geelong were favourites from memory, not to mention the 16 goal rout in the last home and away game

2008... now there was an upset of an "invincible" side, biggest choke in history
“We were cooked”
Just like the Lions were “cooked” in 2003??
Roll out the excuses.

I’m interested to hear your excuses for the other 30 odd GF losses.

Yeah 2008 was a choke but being 6 goals up in 2018 then losing is right up there

“We were cooked”
Roll out the excuses.

In my lifetime:

1970 - choked in 2nd half
1977 draw - choked in last qtr
1977 replay - outplayed
1979 - good effort v hot side
1980 - cooked after 3 finals wins
1981 - choked from time on 3rd qtr
2002 - good effort v hot side
2003 - disgraceful, soft
2011 - imploded as the season progressed, gambling on games, Mick v Bucks, lost momentum, underestimated opponent, Eddie's fault
2018 - good effort v better side but choked in last 3 minutes, should have kept bombing it in instead of kicking backwards

Happy?

It ain't pretty but we were not in the best two sides in four of those (1979, 1980, 2002 and 2018) and did well to get there

Now what's your excuse for all these qualifying and preliminary finals that have been over at quarter time since 2011?

“We were cooked”
Roll out the excuses.

Yeah 2008 was a choke but being 6 goals up in 2018 then losing is right up there
Don’t forget your half time leads of the 2019 prelim and 2020 grand final. You had one foot in the grand final and one hand on the cup respectively.

Oh please

$1.80 Collingwood.

The talk after the final round game was that it was a dead rubber and didn’t matter

In my lifetime:

1970 - choked in 2nd half
1977 draw - choked in last qtr
1977 replay - outplayed
1979 - good effort v hot side
1980 - cooked after 3 finals wins
1981 - choked from time on 3rd qtr
2002 - good effort v hot side
2003 - disgraceful, soft
2011 - imploded as the season progressed, gambling on games, Mick v Bucks, lost momentum, underestimated opponent, Eddie's fault
2018 - good effort v better side but choked in last 3 minutes, should have kept bombing it in instead of kicking backwards

Happy?

It ain't pretty but we were not in the best two sides in four of those (1979, 1980, 2002 and 2018) and did well to get there

Now what's your excuse for all these qualifying and preliminary finals that have been over at quarter time since 2011?
2012 - showed up expecting to win. Arrogant
2013 - absolute choke. Especially the QF
2014 - declining. Won a lot of close games. Realistically, not a chance
2015 - poor year didn’t play finals
2016 - horrible in the prelim. Didn’t show up.
2017 - crows and tigers the top 2. Not good enough
2018 - not a realistic chance
2019 - ridiculous selection not playing Stanley in the QF. Cost us massively. Richmond still the better team.
2020. Really should have won this one if not for Martin producing one of the all time great grand final performances.
2021 - Melbourne by far the best team.

2013, 2019 and 2020 are realistically the only ones we really had a chance to snag a cup. Should have 1 flag out of those 3.

Last edited:
2012 - showed up expecting to win. Arrogant
2013 - absolute choke.
2014 - declining. Won a lot of close games. Realistically, not a chance
2015 - poor year didn’t play finals
2016 - horrible in the prelim. Didn’t show up.
2017 - crows and tigers the top 2. Not good enough
2018 - not a realistic chance
2019 - ridiculous selection not playing Stanley in the QF. Cost us massively. Richmond still the better team.
2020. Really should have won this one if not for Martin producing one of the all time great grand final performances.
2021 - Melbourne by far the best team.

2013, 2019 and 2020 are realistically the only ones we really had a chance to snag a cup. Should have 1 flag out of those 3.
2013 very unlucky I thought

Varcoe...

I was gutted, had a lot of coin on the Cats for the flag

Freo weren't ready, you would have won

Varcoe...

Spot on.

I think we were really spent in the prelim. The last quarter we looked cooked. Varcoe would have levelled the scores if he had kicked truly.

Extra time I think Hawthorn still would have won.

The QF is where we really ****ed it up. Playing in Geelong.
Chappy as the sub? Really?

I was absolutely livid walking out of that game.

Varcoe...

the QF was the bigger choke in 2013 than the PF. I remember watching the PF and couldn't believe we were in it during the 3rd quarter, let alone leading. Hawthorn had all the play and were dominating us but then we'd get a lucky bounce, the ball would go out the back and we'd goal. 2012 EF, 2013 QF, 2016 PF and 2019 QF our biggest chokes IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back