Opinion How can this Geelong side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong looks all the good this year to win the premiership with a 9 game winning streak this year.

Can’t see anyone stopping them at all
Garbage thread. EVERY team in the current comp is stoppable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
They will lose the final straight after the Bye, then scratch their way to the prelim and lose as always. I’ll only go for the Cats if it’s a Dees v Cats GF. Both these supporter bases would become insufferable if their team won the flag.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Go back to your board and lay dormant for another 37 years. When you're good again 😄

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm cautious.
Every year Geelong peak in July.
Chris Scott came out this year and said he's learnt his lesson and he's going to peak for September and not be so focused on being top of the table in July..
Has he he learnt his lesson?
He needs to rest players in August but the bloke is so competitive I don't know if he has it in his personality.

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
I'm cautious.
Every year Geelong peak in July.
Chris Scott came out this year and said hes learnt his lesson and hes going to peak for September and not be so focused on being top of the table in July..
Has he he learnt his lesson?
We won't know until finals breh. All of your concerns regarding our performance in finals are valid. We definitely look better than previous seasons though but it's too even of a season to declare any team a certain premier.

SuperVolley11

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Best team in it...

But to answer your question...

Melbourne can easily beat them at the G.
Or they would have to do a Richmond and beat themselves.
Why can Melbourne, a side who looks like they will struggle to make top 4 now, easily beat Geelong on the mcg?

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
They will lose the final straight after the Bye, then scratch their way to the prelim and lose as always. I’ll only go for the Cats if it’s a Dees v Cats GF. Both these supporter bases would become insufferable if their team won the flag.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
ROAR!
PCKB if ever Ive heard it!

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Folk in home away 2021 refused to see Dees as superior, noticably so, to previous incarnations. It was OBVIOUS to any OBJECTIVE observer that they were a real threat, had shrugged off their flaky behaviour, and built an all ground defense system that could blunt any oppo, whilst being able to flick the attack switch via the dynamic and strong bodied mids. The ONLY question about mighty Dees in 2021, from July, was the forward line...could they convert enough? Only wilful hoping against the obvious could blind so many people. It was deliberate IGNORANCE...deliberately ignoring what was in front of them.

The same phenomenon is happening this year with regard to Geelong. The even distribution of players across the critical parts of the ground being maintained all game is very impressive. It's not dissimilar to local librarian Roxanne's fishnet legging, gripping the calf thigh buttocks and thinly grassed hillock firmly. Though I suspect Geelong would not succumb to a light ear lobe fingering triggering quick discarding of the legging and all other apparrel.

Additional to the fishnet legging, the Cats have added leg speed all over the ground, players pop up quickly in different parts of the ground to add some numbers and to get the ball released quickly. Cameron is the obvious example but there are multiple other players able to migrate to far flung places and have an impact, much like the magnificent Chinese diaspora.

I reckon the Cats can most definitely bring their noodles to new lands in 2022, if they can keep their fishnet stockings on for long enough. There will be plenty of time after the GF to wipp them off and toss them on the floor.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I think what everyone can agree on is that Geelong is now the one team that everyone is pencilling in for top four and top two: the other three spots are well and truly up for grabs given everyone's run home. Geelong should finish on top and right now is clearly playing the best football. So it makes sense that we're considered the best chance to win the flag. It should be noted that when betting for the premiership, "not Geelong" is considered a stronger chance than Geelong, so people can probably keep it in their pants for a few more weeks.

What Geelong supporters will probably tell you is we would have lost that game yesterday in previous years. Port would have capitalised more on their early dominance and would have gone on with it after getting in front. And then we would have said "oh well, would have been good to get that one, but they were at home, playing for their season etc...etc..."

I think the way to beat Geelong was laid bare in the third quarter. Centre clearances, quick inside 50s, don't let them get set up, make their defenders panic. There's reason to think that it will be harder to get hold of the Cats in this area, with arguably their best player returning next week, but still a concern.

Stanley's crucial and we probably need a close look at Ceglar, Neale, or Ratugolea, before we get to finals. It'll be an interesting final couple of chapters to Stanley's AFL story if he ends up being the absolutely vital, Ottens-esque ruckman this year. Doesn't seem that long ago that Chris Scott was choosing to go with "no real ruckman" rather than play Stanley in a final against Brodie Grundy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back