Opinion How can this Geelong side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Plenty of Melbourne and interstate Cats end up staying in the region after their playing days are over. Can't remember losing too many Tim Kelly style to the go-home factor. If you can make a decent living down the surf coast or Bellarine, there's worse places you could live.
Yeah our draftee retention is great. No arguments there. It’s just that the location isn’t really a selling point for most players - unless they are locals.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes, that is sleepy. It is roughly 1/7th the size of Brisbane, and 1/15th the size of Melbourne.

I think that is reflected in our recruiting. We target local boys with a connection to the area - Dangerfield, Cameron, Henderson. Most other “big fish” trades tend to go to Melbourne based clubs.
The smaller size is partly the reason they are a destination club. A cultural advantage is derived from that community.
Geelong have no problems attracting recruits.

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah our draftee retention is great. No arguments there. It’s just that the location isn’t really a selling point for most players - unless they are locals.
Eh, I feel the fact that it's provincial/rural but still very close to Melbourne is a good selling point.

It's a nice mix. Players can have both the more laid-back surf/beach/semi-rural lifestyle if they want, but are still within less than an hour if they want to go do the "Big City" stuff.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Once again they're a great home and away team so credit where it's due with their ability to back up and finish within the top 4. I think the first final they play this year will tell us plenty. Since 2019 they've lost all of the qualifying finals they've played, so if they can win this qualifying final, whoever it's against, I'm more inclined to believe 2022 could be Geelong's year. It will be interesting to see what eventuates.

On our day I think Sydney can beat Geelong, but it still would be questionable.
Think you can beat Geelong? Geelong hasnt beaten Sydney in almost two years. You've won four of your last five matches at KP, and you only 'think' you can beat us on your day???

CharacterFirst

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2011
A wilful, lavish land.
AFL Club
Geelong
The smaller size is partly the reason they are a destination club. A cultural advantage is derived from that community.
Maybe.

A superbly run club and culture is paramount.

For 150 years of our existence GFC was disadvantaged re location, Geelong City environs, and desirability.

It's beyond rich that Melbourne clubs supporters somehow think we are uniquely blessed.

When the calendar ticks over to September! That’s when it ends! Jittery-idis about to grip them again!
ooops..... don't you mean us?

mmmhmmm

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Certain, very specific recruits - ie those from Western Victoria. Looking at the bigger fish we managed to land over the years - Henderson, Dangerfield, Cameron and a few other steak knives - they are almost all from the region. The only recruits I can think of who were sought-after and not from the area were Josh Caddy, and Ottens.

But certainly almost every time we’ve been after players with a competing Melbourne club - Frawley, Lynch, Shiel etc - we’ve lost.

We have pursued a very deliberate strategy to make the most of our advantages and cop our disadvantage on the chin.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Certain, very specific recruits - ie those from Western Victoria. Looking at the bigger fish we managed to land over the years - Henderson, Dangerfield, Cameron and a few other steak knives - they are almost all from the region. The only recruits I can think of who were sought-after and not from the area were Josh Caddy, and Ottens.

But certainly almost every time we’ve been after players with a competing Melbourne club - Frawley, Lynch, Shiel etc - we’ve lost.

We have pursued a very deliberate strategy to make the most of our advantages and cop our disadvantage on the chin.
G Ablett snr

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Oh come on. He moved forty years ago, before the full time professional era even kicked in. Besides, he tried and failed at Hawthorn, then went back to country footy for a year.
A lot of players want and prefer the country environment. It's a big pull.

Once again they're a great home and away team so credit where it's due with their ability to back up and finish within the top 4. I think the first final they play this year will tell us plenty. Since 2019 they've lost all of the qualifying finals they've played, so if they can win this qualifying final, whoever it's against, I'm more inclined to believe 2022 could be Geelong's year. It will be interesting to see what eventuates.
Since 2019? They’ve played QFs in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2021 and lost all of them. Haven’t won a QF since 2011. Of course it’s going to improve their flags odds.

Most flags are won by teams who win their QF. There aren’t many exceptions. Brisbane 2003, Sydney/WCE in 2005/2006, Hawthorn 2015, Richmond 2020. Winning a QF gives you a huge chance of winning the flag.

Defibrillate

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Geelong are clearly the favourites this year - deservedly. Aggressive ball movement and locking the ball in their forward 50 with a fantastic setup and structure. Cameron in better form and Stengle really adding to the potency of this.

I think the only team that can beat Geelong is themselves. My only concern is the performance of several players when the heat is really on. Guys like Rohan, Miers, Stanley, Kolo have erratic and poor finals histories (and that’s being kind), and at the risk of inflaming Cats fans, Danger, Menegola, Bews, and Zuthrie more often than not just don’t have great games either. Stengle untested and Jeremy Cameron has had some real stinkers in big finals too. Bliclavs can look ordinary as well under pressure with his decision making, but his role is totally different this year in its various guises - he’s been unbelievable - and is playing a role ready made for finals.

Cleary the Cats are the best team this year, but it will be fascinating to see if the new system (which is great and very watchable) can cover potential performance issues when we all know the pressure will be ratcheted up immensely. I actually suspect the system will hold up really well but it won’t be dull viewing.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Since 2019? They’ve played QFs in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2021 and lost all of them. Haven’t won a QF since 2011. Of course it’s going to improve their flags odds.

Most flags are won by teams who win their QF. There aren’t many exceptions. Brisbane 2003, Sydney/WCE in 2005/2006, Hawthorn 2015, Richmond 2020. Winning a QF gives you a huge chance of winning the flag.
We won our QF in 2016 but your point stands…

The 2019 one was the opportunity really screwed up IMO. That was the year when I think we were the best team in it, but we really conspired to shoot ourselves in the feet repeatedly.

Last edited:
We won our QF in 2016 but your point stands…

The 2019 one was the opportunity really screwed up IMO. That was the year when I think we were the best team in it, but we really conspired to shoot ourselves in the feet repeatedly.
Of course - got confused as to whether the bizarre Sydney loss at the MCG was an SF or PF.

2019 prelim was so weird. I thought that even though Dusty was pretty quiet in the first half he still somehow managed to turn it with that effort on the wing where he fell over and then gathered the ball and passed to someone who hit a target I50.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
How many?

Look at our recruits in recent history - Cameron, Higgins, Rohan, Dalhaus, Jack Steven, Isaac Smith, Rhys Stanley, Dangerfield, Henderson - all of them are from Western Victoria or nearby.
Yes they come back, and that's part of the argument. They also have no problems attracting city players.
It's easier for Geelong to create a good culture with a club inside a location like Geelong.

No other club in the league has that as easily achievable.
Every other side has several other clubs within a big city.
Or have a big city full of supporters following different clubs.
It's a lot harder for other clubs to create that sustained culture.
Essendon have created their own bubble within the massive Tullamarine complex.

Last edited:
Back