Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of H/A dominance, this side looks unstoppable imo and is reminscent of St Kilda 2009 and Collingwood 2010 - they have beaten alot of the top sides already (richmond, geelong, sydney, gws).

I also felt they were unlucky this week and should have got two frees that would have either won or drawn them the game (Keays HTB and the deliberate call) - they are absolutely a 10 zip side.

If you look at their list they have guns on all lines and if they are not guns, it's B graders that are in peak form (Pickett, Langdon, Hames, Fritsch etc).

You may be wondering, well the bulldogs play Melbourne next week, you are just making excuses. No not really, Melbourne has beaten better sides right now and are better on form - this is an objective reality. I expect to lose but still content with 9-2.

Barring the allure of the now discontinued priority pick, how can this Melbourne side be stopped?

In terms of H/A dominance, this side looks unstoppable imo and is reminscent of St Kilda 2009 and Collingwood 2010 - they have beaten alot of the top sides already (richmond, geelong, sydney, gws).

I also felt they were unlucky this week and should have got two frees that would have either won or drawn them the game (Keays HTB and the deliberate call) - they are absolutely a 10 zip side.

If you look at their list they have guns on all lines and if they are not guns, it's B graders that are in peak form (Pickett, Langdon, Hames, Fritsch etc).

You may be wondering, well the bulldogs play Melbourne next week, you are just making excuses. No not really, Melbourne has beaten better sides right now and are better on form - this is an objective reality. I expect to lose but still content with 9-2.

Barring the allure of the now discontinued priority pick, how can this Melbourne side be stopped?

They got plenty of luck from 3.5 quarters of one sided umpiring.
Won't get that against the mighty Doggies!

1. Form slump, bad game in finals.
2. Injuries to any 2 of May, Lever, Petra, Oliver, Stynes.
3. They get worked out and beaten in a close game, most likely contender for this is Geelong.

Yeah they were unlucky at the end, but Oliver played one the best halves of footy ever and they still went down. Then factor in that you are probably a 10 goal better side than Adelaide, its at Marvel and the dogs will obviously start favourite.

Incredibly see through post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. Nice try. But I guess in a way you win because I took the bait. 🙂

Better form?

This week:
A 111-point win vs.. a loss.

Last week:
Beating a top 4 contender on their home deck vs.. an unconvincing win against Carlton.

What a ridiculous thread.

Melbourne has not been steamrolling opposition like Geelong 2008. Mostly workmanlike wins, driven mainly by a solid defence. The ruck/midfield coordination still has a lot of work to do. There isn't any perception of invulnerability.

Seriously would place Melbourne behind Dogs, Geelong, Brisbane and maybe even Port Adelaide at the moment. The win/loss means nothing, the manner of Melbourne's wins are not that convincing. Most opponents have been in the game for long periods of time, Melbourne struggles to put away cellar dweller teams, and they haven't really crushed many (if any) opponents from start to finish. They've also got lucky with opponents copping a stack of injuries in match (eg. GWS, Carlton).

Melbourne continuing their run of getting their opponents with injuries whilst having bugger all themselves
Got to love an injury excuse before a game

Who knows. Still think the season is a lot more open then in years gone by.

1995 Carlton lost to 12th and 14th. Geelong 2008 to 8th and the GF. Don't think Melbourne are (yet) a side that is considered as much a favourite as those sides were. I'd say current top 5 are all in it. Even Richmond (or WC, perhaps GWS) not totally out of the equation yet. Last years top 2 didn't even make the GF.

Weird thread. I mean we just lost to Adelaide. We have been very good this year and defensively we have been great.
We have all the components required but we’ll see if we can get it all going. I can see us losing this week TBH. However Saints were horrible against the dogs so maybe that’s hard to judge.

Melbourne continuing their run of getting their opponents with injuries whilst having bugger all themselves
It's almost like Tomlinson isn't injured, our KPF's weren't missing for the first month. Hibberd didn't miss the first month, Melksham didn't miss the start of the season, Harmes wasn't out for a month, May didn't fracture his eye socket early v Geelong and miss the next week. Viney hasn't been out for a few weeks, Luke Jackson didn't miss injured and Salem didn't play v Adelaide.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back