Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

It was not the question asked though. As we all know GMHBA is a much tougher proposition than the MCG and a club winning there are deemed as minor miracles.

Because the MCG is your homeground and very similar (read exactly) the same as Optus.
So, back to the question, would you rather play at the MCG or GMHBA?
Lol, so why is Fremantle at the MCG an indication to see where Melbourne are at? Your the one saying Melbourne vs Freo is going to be a good indication for both teams. But in your words the MCG is Melbourne’s home ground so the St Kikda game isn’t a good indication, so why is Fremantle at the MCG a good indication to see where Melbourne are at?

Where would who rather play? Melbourne? The MCG or GMHBA? Of course at home, even though Geelong are now 2-3 over their past 5 games there.

Where would Freo rather play? Optus which they lost to St Kilda.

What the tougher game, Geelong at GMHBA or Freo at Optus?

Lol, so why is Fremantle at the MCG an indication to see where Melbourne are at? Your the one saying Melbourne vs Freo is going to be a good indication for both teams. But in your words the MCG is Melbourne’s home ground so the St Kikda game isn’t a good indication, so why is Fremantle at the MCG a good indication to see where Melbourne are at?

Where would who rather play? Melbourne? The MCG or GMHBA? Of course at home, even though Geelong are now 2-3 over their past 5 games there.

:tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink: You must be a Lawyer!!!

:tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink: You must be a Lawyer!!!
I’m just trying to work out why Fremantle at the MCG will be a good indication for Melbourne but St Kilda at the MCG isn’t.

Whats tougher Geelong at GMHBA or Fremantle at Optus?

What’s tougher for St Kikda, travelling to Optus or travelling to the MCG?

The Swans have a reasonable record at the "Litter Box" and a poor one v Freo at optus
So would St Kilda’s win against Freo at Optus be more impressive than Fremantle beating Geelong at GMHBA in your opinion?

I’m just trying to work out why Fremantle at the MCG will be a good indication for Melbourne but St Kilda at the MCG isn’t.

Whats tougher Geelong at GMHBA or Fremantle at Optus?

What’s tougher for St Kikda, travelling to Optus or travelling to the MCG?
Yeah we are having a communication breakdown.
For mine and it is only my opinion, Freo travelling to GMHBA and defeating Geelong on a ground which is solely owned by Geelong (and Geelong are rarely defeated there) is a tougher assignment than St Kilda travelling to Optus. Optus is not a fortress yet for Freo. Teams often have defeated Freo there, though this might change in the future.
When Freo and Melbourne finally meet on the MCG, and if freo defeat Melbourne, this will then be and indication of where Freo and Melbourne are at.
Again, this is only my opinion as a frustrated WC supporter.

So would St Kilda’s win against Freo at Optus be more impressive than Fremantle beating Geelong at GMHBA in your opinion?

Both were good results. I think Freo at litter box was better.

The Dees role players and system is phenomenal and they have almost no weak links in their best 22, but where they get teams is with their star players. It always comes back to Petracca, Oliver, Gawn, May, Lever and Langdon getting a hold of teams. While Carlton may not have the same quality in the lower end of the 22 we may have the the best list in terms of matching them for sheer star power in Cripps, Curnow, Mckay, Walsh, Weitering and Docherty. I think thats all the Dees fans above are saying.

IF... by the end of the year Voss has our defensive system humming, which mind you is only 6 or so months into its evolution... I think we could pose the biggest threat to them... but as others pointed out, perhaps not the same threat to the other top teams who have less star power but more top end role players and an even spread which can expose Carltons bottom end of the 22 such as Cottrell, Parks, Newnes, Boyd etc.

For the time being though and until Carlton can prove to be fixing their defensive issues... its Dees then daylight for the best team going around right now.

The Blues are the only side genuinely capable of beating the Dees come September.

If these 3 went absolutely apeshit then the Dees will be in all sorts of trouble. Massive if though.

Yeah we are having a communication breakdown.
For mine and it is only my opinion, Freo travelling to GMHBA and defeating Geelong on a ground which is solely owned by Geelong (and Geelong are rarely defeated there) is a tougher assignment than St Kilda travelling to Optus. Optus is not a fortress yet for Freo. Teams often have defeated Freo there, though this might change in the future.
When Freo and Melbourne finally meet on the MCG, and if freo defeat Melbourne, this will then be and indication of where Freo and Melbourne are at.
Again, this is only my opinion as a frustrated WC supporter.
Ok, so I back to the original discussion. We are going to judge Melbourne especially against Brisbane and Fremantle because they are the 2 benchmark teams.

We are dismissing Melbournes victory against St Kilda because we aren’t rating the saints win against Fremantle at Optus because Teams often beat Fremantle there. Maybe we need to reconsider Fremantle as one of the 2 benchmark teams

So what’s the reason for it being better. Geelong the better side?

The ground is unusual and Cats play it well.

Optus is MCG dimensions so the ground dimensions are no factor. That said Freo are clearly a decent team so a win over them on their dung heap is a good result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read Grand Uncles Horace's reply, he gets it.
So they are one of 2 benchmark teams because they won on an unusual ground, beat the bottom 5 teams, lost a home game to the Saints. Ok Fremantle the team to beat.

I really like this Melbourne team at the moment, they're fun to watch, have an incredible midfield and backline, and a well functioning forward line. Honestly they remind me of the Cats around 07-11 with the strength of their list. They will possibly drop a game or two over the course of the season, but 19-20 wins is the likely equation. I don't think there is a better team neccesarily, but there may just be an upset or two.

Freo is interesting right now, they're winning games despite often playing without a number of their best players but I don't think they can match Melbourne in the midfield.

Dude you’re going in circles. Melbourne are the reigning premiers, universally accepted best side in the comp by everyone, and the only talk I’ve heard after the Saints game is that they are just on another level to anyone else. How much affirmation from oppo supporters do you need really? Insecure much?

The title of this thread is how can Melbourne be stopped so people are going to talk about the few sides that might actually have a chance of competing against them and those few sides are yet to play Melbourne. St Kilda did and got spanked. We want to see some more games to put things in perspective. And we’d learn more about Melbourne too after those games because if none of Fre/Bris/Geelong/Carlton can get close that would tell us how dominant they really are in 2022, whereas if they drop one or two then we might have an answer to the thread question.

At the risk of offending Saints fans, I do not see them in the same conversation as the Brions and Freo as lead challengers to Melbourne.
This coming from a supporter of a team that lost to Gold Coast at their home ground plus nearly lost to North at their home ground. Last year we beat Lions in Queensland and this year we beat Freo in Perth. I put Saints ahead of Sydney in terms of contenders.

This coming from a supporter of a team that lost to Gold Coast at their home ground plus nearly lost to North at their home ground. Last year we beat Lions in Queensland and this year we beat Freo in Perth. I put Saints ahead of Sydney in terms of contenders.
He is not talking about his team though. You played Melbourne and lost. We are yet to see what Freo and Brissy will do, hence the title of the thread.
And yes, i know my team suck.

At the risk of offending Saints fans, I do not see them in the same conversation as the Brions and Freo as lead challengers to Melbourne.
Well, Grand Uncle Horace, you did say it was a risk.

Whoa! Hold your horses there Sparky. You are showing your me-too-ism and the relevance deprivation disorder your mob suffers from.

Was not asked about my team who are obviously not in the conversation in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back