Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think it will be forward dominance that will beat Melbourne. Our defensive set up would have to have a horror day to be dominated. Probably getting us through the middle getting the ball in quick and I think a smaller forward line could do it. We won’t go through undefeated that’s for sure. We had a lull mid season last year and suspect whatever happened such as a higher training load could be implemented again.

Last edited:
You would have thought that the AFL might have given you more games at the MCG to make up for having to play the grand final in WA.
Why would you have thought that? Do non-Vic teams get more games at home to make up for the GF always being played in Melbourne?

Does the Victorian premier not allow fans in to watch said Grand Final?

No but finances and logistics limit a large percentage of fans. A train ticket from Preston is a little cheaper than flights and accommodation from interstate.

And there's no 'swings and roundabouts' because it's always at the same place. It's all swings Victorian fans' way.

No but finances and logistics limit a large percentage of fans. A train ticket from Preston is a little cheaper than flights and accommodation from interstate.

And there's no 'swings and roundabouts' because it's always at the same place. It's all swings Victorian fans' way.
have you thought of maybe not living so far away? :)

you're choosing a weird hill to die on here, I was wrong anyway. Melbourne has had less games at the MCG then they did during 2018. The AFL haven't rewarded Melbourne with extra games at there home ground.

you're choosing a weird hill to die on here, I was wrong anyway. Melbourne has had less games at the MCG then they did during 2018. The AFL haven't rewarded Melbourne with extra games at there home ground.

And nor should they. The fact you legitimately thought the AFL should compensate Victorian fans for not being able to watch their team once in a GF speaks volumes for how entitled Victorian fans are when that's the permanent reality enshrined in the comp for all non-Vic teams every year in this supposedly national comp.

And nor should they. The fact you legitimately thought the AFL should compensate Victorian fans for not being able to watch their team once in a GF speaks volumes for how entitled Victorian fans are when that's the permanent reality enshrined in the comp for all non-Vic teams in this supposedly national comp.
So 40,000 fans should miss out on maybe seeing their team win the flag because people in WA thinks it's unfair that they don't get to play in WA. How many times hasn't an Victorian team being in the AFL grand final?

So 40,000 fans should miss out on maybe seeing their team win the flag because people in WA thinks it's unfair that they don't get to play in WA. How many times hasn't an Victorian team being in the AFL grand final?

And how many of those are MCG members and corporates, who you shouldn't care about if your concern is fans of the competing clubs being able to attend? Unless you're one of those AFL bootlickers who places profit above the fans, let alone the integrity of the game.

But regardless, we've gotten off topic long enough so I'll leave it be.

23 – Geelong (R12, 1952 to R13, 1953)
20 – Essendon (R1, 2000 to R20, 2000)
20 – Collingwood (SF, 1928 to R18, 1929)
20 – Brisbane (R10, 2001 to R4, 2002)
19 – St Kilda (R1, 2009 to R19, 2009)
19 – Melbourne (R15, 1955 to R13, 1956)
18 – Carlton (R10, 1995 to R2, 1996)
17 – Collingwood (R5,1903 to R2,1904)
16 – Essendon (R7, 1950 to R2, 1951)
16 – Essendon (R12, 1949 to R5, 1950)
16* – Melbourne (R20, 2021 to R9, 2022)

Some all time teams in that list (and St Kilda)
It’s funny fixturing. In the event that we do keep winning we’ll play Collingwood to beat our own record streak (ie the great rival of that 55/56 side), Brisbane to beat Brisbane’s record streak and Geelong to equal Geelong’s all time record.

It’s funny fixturing. In the event that we do keep winning we’ll play Collingwood to beat our own record streak (ie the great rival of that 55/56 side), Brisbane to beat Brisbane’s record streak and Geelong to equal Geelong’s all time record.
And then Collingwood in round 21(?) to beat the all-time undefeated record - held by the Geelong 52/53 team who lost to Collingwood to end the streak and also lost to them in the GF. The undefeated record is 26 games I think which includes 2 wins followed by a draw and then the 23 wins at the top of the list.

Nb I doubt it will get that far though, I think we definitely drop at least one of the 4 games after the North game.

And then Collingwood in round 21(?) to beat the all-time undefeated record - held by the Geelong 52/53 team who lost to Collingwood to end the streak and also lost to them in the GF. The undefeated record is 26 games I think which includes 2 wins followed by a draw and then the 23 wins at the top of the list.

Nb I doubt it will get that far though, I think we definitely drop at least one of the 4 games after the North game.
I just want to get to 20. Leaving aside the streak I would be disappointed to lose any of those 4 games at the MCG though, even if three are against current top five sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want to get to 20. Leaving aside the streak I would be disappointed to lose any of those 4 games at the MCG though, even if three are against current top five sides.
If we up our training loads like last year I think we definitely lose one or two.

The Dees were no hopers for so many years, losing became such a habit, a part of me likes seeing this Invincibles type reputation coming to that club. It's inspirational. They went from the cellar to kings of the AFL, and if they can do it why can't anyone. There was a period where it seemed like true AFL success was only for a small group of teams. It felt like it was only Sydney, West Coast, Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn who would win or come close every year. While every other club could only go from the bottom to mid ladder and back again.

Then we started seeing new teams have success for the first time in a generation (or more). Clubs that had the reputation of being long term losers. The Dogs, the Tigers, now the Dees. Teams a neutral could more easily cheer for. Maybe St Kilda and Carlton will be next.

The Dees were no hopers for so many years, losing became such a habit, a part of me likes seeing this Invincibles type reputation coming to that club. It's inspirational. They went from the cellar to kings of the AFL, and if they can do it why can't anyone. There was a period where it seemed like true AFL success was only for a small group of teams. It felt like it was only Sydney, West Coast, Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn who would win or come close every year. While every other club could only go from the bottom to mid ladder and back again.

Then we started seeing new teams have success for the first time in a generation (or more). Clubs that had the reputation of being long term losers. The Dogs, the Tigers, now the Dees. Teams a neutral could more easily cheer for. Maybe St Kilda and Carlton will be next.
Carlton will absolutely be next, lot of things to be excited about with you guys. Personally, I still can't quite believe we've turned it around, we were so dire for so long, it's really amazing, here's hoping it continues.

If you listen to Alex Neal-Bullen on SEN this morning, the players don't consider it a winning streak as we lost to Carlton in the pre season. So it's fair to say that we took the game seriously, and Carlton won on merit.

If you listen to Alex Neal-Bullen on SEN this morning, the players don't consider it a winning streak as we lost to Carlton in the pre season. So it's fair to say that we took the game seriously, and Carlton won on merit.
Counts for absolutely * all tho.

None of the players are going to go 100% and risk injury before the season, and the coaches would have other motivations other than winning- testing game plans, seeing how players look in different roles, game time for emerging players, whatever it is.

That's a ripper attitude from Neal-Bullen but. What a legend.

Last edited:
We haven't played anyone amazing (at least by 2022 standards). Let's see how we go against the Lions, Swans and Carlton (and to a certain extent the Dockers).
Meh, people said the same about us (Richmond) and would always change the goal posts, haven’t beaten anyone turned into great injury run until we had injury’s, than it was soft fixture, than it was covid affected, ect ect

The same things get said about every dominant team, But at the end of the day you can only play the teams you are up against on the day and the comp is more equal than people like to admit

Just enjoy the ride and down worry about any of the other noise

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back