Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are seeing a dynasty team in the making, whilst at the same time there being a complete absence of a legitimate contender

The prior contenders (Richmond, Geelong, WCE) are on their inevitable decline

The incumbent contender (Brisbane) should be Melbourne's genuine threat, but are a gallop short

The next gen of contenders (Blues, Dockers) are on their way, but I don't think quite there yet

The only way Melbourne lose this year is if they f**k it up

Aside from the Saints and maybe the Dogs we haven't played a finals side yet and haven't played any contenders. The next month will tell a lot as I don't think we are fully firing, our accuracy and f50 connection isn't quite there.

Coming up against Freo, Sydney, Collingwood and then Brisbane is a good test.

Aside from the Saints and maybe the Dogs we haven't played a finals side yet and haven't played any contenders. The next month will tell a lot as I don't think we are fully firing, our accuracy and f50 connection isn't quite there.

Your forward line is probably the weakest line but your defense is so good that it doesn't matter much.

Barring injuries I can't see you dropping off so other teams will need to make big improvements between now and September to challenge.

You won't lose any of those matches unless you take them easily or have a spate of injuries

Agreed. Then again, wasn’t it in the final 2 games of the year that your f50 connection really fired? Up until then, it was always your “weak spot”. And then the team went baaang!

We're probably gonna lose a couple of matches in the next stretch before and after the bye because we'll do exactly what we did last year and have a mid-season loading phase to gear us up for finals.

Won't surprise me at all to see us looking flat and off it at times over the next month and a bit.

Where the hell is everyone getting this idea that we haven't really played any finals contenders?
Im gonna count top 10 as finals contenders (as they are in range of the finals).

Out of the top 4:
Melbourne have played 3 (WB, RICH, Saints) if we didn't beat Saints, they'd be in the top 4 as a contenders lol

Brisbane have also played 3 (Geelong, Swans and Collingwood)

Carlton have played 4 (RICH, WB, Freo, Swans)

Frea have played 4(St.K, Carlton, Geelong, Collingwood)

I'm not saying we've had the hardest draw ever and I know we're gonna have to put up a good fight against other top side to win but jesus stop acting like we've had it so easy when everyone else has played roughly the same amount of top 10 finals contenders teams
Not directed at you btw, just noticed a ton ofpeople have said our fixture is too easy.
Edit: sorry misread your post, I suppose we've played less "contenders" but my point still stands on the fixture

Last edited:
Im gonna count top 10 as finals contenders (as they are in range of the finals).
I was talking about finals teams and then contenders separately.
Out of the top 4:
Melbourne have played 3 (WB, RICH, Saints) if we didn't beat Saints, they'd be in the top 4 as a contenders lol

Brisbane have also played 3 (Geelong, Swans and Collingwood)

Carlton have played 4 (RICH, WB, Freo, Swans)

Frea have played 4(St.K, Carlton, Geelong, Collingwood)
Out of these Melbourne has had the easier opposition.

only way they can be stopped is themselves, ala Richmond 2018. They are miles ahead atm, but they are miles ahead very early.

32 wins & 4 losses & 1 draw in our last 37 games and now 17 in a row, but we have had an easy draw. :rolleyes:

Bigfooty logic: Nobody else gets to play against teams worse than them every week like Melbourne do! :drunk:

I also love the part where people say "wait til they play top 8 teams!" You mean like how we only lost two games to a top 8 team last year, the same as we did against bottom 8 teams? Oh yes, Im sure we are terrified about playing top 8 teams and they will expose us as the frauds we are.

I was talking about finals teams and then contenders separately.

Out of these Melbourne has had the easier opposition.
Look I'll give you those other teams playing Carlton and Brissy whereas we haven't,
but do you think maybe you don't consider St.Kilda and Richmond "Contenders" BECAUSE we beat them?
If they beat us, they'd be 4th and 5th (higher than freo, Geelong, Swans).

Im not saying that we've had it harder than everyone, but this idea that we haven't played any top 8 sides or contenders but every other team has is ridiculous

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bigfooty logic: Nobody else gets to play against teams worse than them every week like Melbourne do! :drunk:

I also love the part where people say "wait til they play top 8 teams!" You mean like how we only lost two games to a top 8 team last year, the same as we did against bottom 8 teams? Oh yes, Im sure we are terrified about playing top 8 teams and they will expose us as the frauds we are.
Not to mention that every side in the top 9 is a side we beat at least once last year. I’d be more worried if Collingwood were a top 8 side :$

‘The Dees have had an easy draw’

Meanwhile, Brisbane have lost to Hawthorn, Freo have lost to GC and Collingwood, Sydney and Carlton have to GC, and St Kilda have lost to Port.

Doesn’t everyone say that of all sides who are doing well? Like must be some conspiracy to why they are winning games.

I struggle to see how Melbourne just beating 10 crappy sides. Part of being a great side is winning consistently.

Agreed. Then again, wasn’t it in the final 2 games of the year that your f50 connection really fired? Up until then, it was always your “weak spot”. And then the team went baaang!

We got a lot of confidence from smashing the suns at marvel then didn’t look back. I think the simplicity of finals helps us a bit and we are happy to sit on a 30pt lead in the H&A rather than going all out attack to win by 80 and risk losing.

We’ll see how many you win though. We also had bad injuries in 2019 and 2020 on top of peak COVID playing away. I don’t think you could’ve done what we did. Imagine losing May for 2 whole years like Rance. You guys are whinging about injuries now saying that’s the reason you lost against the blues in the pre season game.

Lolllll.

Classic.

I can only think of, ooh, heaps of recent premiership sides who’ve coped after losing a key player for injury or other reasons

Geelong didn’t cope without the All Australian CHB never playing again after round 21 2007.
Oh wait, they did.
Geelong and Hawthorn weren’t able to succeed after losing the two best players this century - oh wait Geelong beat Collingwood 3 times in a year and won the flag, Hawthorn went on to win two more in two years.

No the Rance situation was unprecedented

We’ll see how many you win though. We also had bad injuries in 2019 and 2020 on top of peak COVID playing away. I don’t think you could’ve done what we did. Imagine losing May for 2 whole years like Rance. You guys are whinging about injuries now saying that’s the reason you lost against the blues in the pre season game.
Didn't Geelong win 3 premierships without their AA CHB that never played again?

And won one straight after losing the best player in the league in Ablett? How many would Richmond have won without Dusty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back