Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I also noted that we beat both freo round 2 at Optus and brisbane last year round 17 at Metricon so you can say we lost to Melbourne but you can't say we aren't "in the same conversation as the Brions and Freo as lead challengers to Melbourne". We have been unfortunate to play Melbourne 3 times in 3 years and haven't had the opportunity to see how our game style stacks up.
You had the opportunity a few days ago and failed miserably.

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
In what world is your backline better than Freo's? Freo allows 57 points per game, St Kilda allows 71.
They have played West Coast, Essendon and North all low scoring teams. We will find out in the next month if they have a better backline than the Saints.(GC, Coll, Melb, Lions and Hawks)

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
How are Dockers a better team than the Saints? We appear to be equal on paper. Both have decent midfields, Docker better. We both have decent forward lines, Saints better and we both have decent backlines, Saints just a little better. You might have a look at the fixture and see why Dockers are top 3 and Saints sit 7th. Dockers have beaten Geelong without Dangerfield and Carlton from the top 8, where as we have beaten Tigers and Dockers. but to you, Saints are worse than Dockers but haven't given any justification to as why.
PS. Lions have beaten the Swans out of the top 8, less than Dockers, Melbourne and Saints.

How the f*** did you come to the conclusion that St Kilda have a better backline than Freo?

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
That's such a arrogant way of looking at it. Did you score more points than us, Yes. Did we learn something from the game, I hope so. If we play Demons in a final and the outcome is the same then it was a miserable failure but until then.
You're neglecting to consider that we also learned from playing your team and the tactics you switched to after the half.
I would expect the same result next time we play. Stating winning scores are arrogant now?:rolleyes:

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
You're neglecting to consider that we also learned from playing your team and the tactics you switched to after the half.
I would expect the same result next time we play. Stating winning scores are arrogant now?:rolleyes:
It's interesting because Demons are the hunted, do you think they would remember the game from round 8 against the Saints. Your last month of footy is going to test the Demons and might make your side look at Lions and Dockers more closely and neglect the Saints. Not saying that will happen but I know that Saints will be looking at the game as a big one for us and the progression we need to make to challenge for a flag. Only time will tell.

It's interesting because Demons are the hunted, do you think they would remember the game from round 8 against the Saints. Your last month of footy is going to test the Demons and might make your side look at Lions and Dockers more closely and neglect the Saints. Not saying that will happen but I know that Saints will be looking at the game as a big one for us and the progression we need to make to challenge for a flag. Only time will tell.
This year Melbourne have been doing the same thing every week. First quarter defensive master class, coast through the 2nd quarter, put the game away in the 3rd and then basically let the opponents win the 4th.

It was a bit different against the Saints, Melbourne wanted to put the game away before halftime. I think it was a sign that Melbourne believe St Kilda are a decent challenger, I highly doubt Melbourne neglect St Kilda.

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
This year Melbourne have been doing the same thing every week. First quarter defensive master class, coast through the 2nd quarter, put the game away in the 3rd and then basically let the opponents win the 4th.

It was a bit different against the Saints, Melbourne wanted to put the game away before halftime. I think it was a sign that Melbourne believe St Kilda are a decent challenger, I highly doubt Melbourne neglect St Kilda.
Not saying that they do but with some big games at the back end of the season, you under estimate us and maybe we could snag a win. it's that old NFL term "any given Sunday".

Fat Tony!

Team Captain
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Dogs in Round 1 were far and away the best side we have played this year. They were pretty good that night and were within a goal in the last quarter. They showed the blue print of how to beat Melbourne - win the centre clearances and get on the right side of the umpiring.

GCS in Round 2 were the next best opponent and should have beaten us on expected score. That said, we parked the bus in the last quarter and the expected score was a bit misleading that night. Really, we looked in control after 15 minutes.

St Kilda, Essendon, Richmond and Port were easy kills and GWS were unlucky to get the best of Melbourne. Hawthorn were plucky and could have been close but for inaccuracy but were no real match for an under strength side.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Yep you're right, while the top sides are battling it out against each other, St. Kilda will just sneak by like a thief in the night and steal the premiership! What a cunning plan, don't know why no-ones ever thought of that before 🤦

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Saints just a little better. You might have a look at the fixture and see why Dockers are top 3 and Saints sit 7th. Dockers have beaten Geelong without Dangerfield and Carlton from the top 8, where as we have beaten Tigers and Dockers. but to you, Saints are worse than Dockers but haven't given any justification to as why.

I like how you emphasise that Geelong were missing Dangerfield while ignoring that we were missing Fyfe, Darcy, Taberner, Chapman and Young.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s surprising Saints didn’t just go with their game plan v the Dees. Most teams try that first. Saints overcooked it’s with some adjustments obviously believing their game doesn’t match ours. In saying that we were beaten by pies giants and Crows last year when they adjusted to beat us. Hawks drew in a similar fashion. Most of the better sides went at us with their game plan however.

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
By being better defensively and actually stopping teams from scoring.

It's like you don't actually watch football.
which teams? Essendon, West Coast and North Melbourne. From somebody earlier, they said it was "57 points per game, St Kilda allows 71.". That's 14 points difference. Now if we played Essendon, West Coast and North I would say we would be more than 14 points better defensively.

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Are we talking fully fit best 22s? If so Freo have a better ruck, midfield, wing (thanks for that by the way), and a significantly better defense. Forwards they probably shade Freo.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wing is a part of the midfield, first off. Second, Marshall 26 hitouts to Darcy 12 when we played. During that game didn't you give up 65 points to our 55 points. "wing (thanks for that by the way)" Do you mean Blake Acres?

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep you're right, while the top sides are battling it out against each other, St. Kilda will just sneak by like a thief in the night and steal the premiership! What a cunning plan, don't know why no-ones ever thought of that before 🤦
Clearly you need to seek some professional help. I was talking about what Saints got out of the Demons game and how it wouldn't be a miserable loss if we learn something from the game.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
which teams? Essendon, West Coast and North Melbourne. From somebody earlier, they said it was "57 points per game, St Kilda allows 71.". That's 14 points difference. Now if we played Essendon, West Coast and North I would say we would be more than 14 points better defensively.

Why would you say that? It's just conjecture at this point until you play those teams.

It also means that Dockers have a better backline than Demons. how does that sit with you?
Well they don't but currently they are holding teams to fewer points than Melbourne, we're 8-0 while not playing our best footy and playing a makeshift back line for the majority of the season to date.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Not yet. We're doing well but Freo have a very tough run home. If I'm being honest. I'd expect us to fall a bit after the bye both with some young legs and the difficult draw. Me, personally, I hope we both host and win a final this season and have a red hot crack in a second final. That's invaluable experience for a developing group that they can thrive on the big stage and hopefully hold us in very good sted in the coming number of years.

I expect Brisbane and Geelong to move past us in the back half of the year and Carlton and Sydney to be in that real dogfight with us. Lets not completely dismiss Port and Footscray who are finding their form after early stumbles. Richmond aren't a completely spent force and GWS, whilst coached by a complete moron, is stacked with talent that is foolish to completely dismiss in the finals picture.

Melbourne I expect will be a bridge too far for us. We might be able to jag the return fixture in Perth later in the year but I don't think so. Same with Brisbane. I do however think we'll probably defend both of these sides better than they'd like.

Melbourne may drop a game here or there but they should be treated as the outliers rather than the rule. There's no reason to think any side other than Brisbane this season should be good enough to be a consistent challenge to them.
I said 18 months

Jun 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Everyone thought Richmond was unbeatable in 2018. All it takes is one bad Prelim to mess everything up. I think the only team that can beat Melbourne is themselves, Richmond style in a Prelim. Just one bad game when the other team plays the game of their lives, and it's done.

Back