Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

A good chunk of Melbourne supporters are reasonable to talk footy with. Then there’s the ones who are arrogant to the point of total annoyance.

Now which camp do you fall into?

The only team that beats us is us. We've been playing so far beneath our best this season. Until this week. it was good for the real Melbourne to come out. Hopefully it stays.

Show some respect to the teams that beat you.

I've never jumped off them so far in 2022 despite the 3 losses in a row, as I've seen Richmond have form slumps in our flag years too.

Probably would have been the first time I'd changed my flag tip if the Lions won last night, but gave the Dees another chance and they delivered.

They look very Richmond-esque in their season construction to me, a bit of a form slump heading into the midway point, but watch them come home with a wet sail and peak in finals.

Still Melbourne's flag IMO.

How is it disrespectful to say our best is better than other teams? We lost four games last year and started the season with a 10 game winning streak. We're pretty good and all else being equal we'd absolutely belt the s**t out of most teams, no question.

Definitely, he's been building for a few weeks though.
Really I think last night set the template of how not to play Melbourne.

Getting well beaten in centre clearances. And when we had the ball we were very slow to move it and continued to go down the wings. Melbourne's zone shut down any forward ball movement. Allowed short chip kicks in the backline until it got into the hands of the poor kicks (eg Answerth and Adams) and then ramped up the pressure. Basically meant we then went long and high down the wings letting Lever and co cut it off

A good chunk of Melbourne supporters are reasonable to talk footy with. Then there’s the ones who are arrogant to the point of total annoyance.

Now which camp do you fall into?

dude just block him, it makes your life much easier

He is the Melbourne version of Richmonds Falcon3518

After last night Brisbane have fallen behind Geelong and Fremantle as our biggest threats.

There lack of team defence and inability to zone off and cover space will cost them in the end.

After last night Brisbane have fallen behind Geelong and Fremantle as our biggest threats.

There lack of team defence and inability to zone off and cover space will cost them in the end.
we’ve won three consecutive games v Brisbane and Geelong after losing to them by under a goal in 2020. Neither is our biggest threat as a direct matchup.

More worried about Fremantle, Carlton or Sydney as sides that can compete with us in the midfield.

Really I think last night set the template of how not to play Melbourne.

Getting well beaten in centre clearances. And when we had the ball we were very slow to move it and continued to go down the wings. Melbourne's zone shut down any forward ball movement. Allowed short chip kicks in the backline until it got into the hands of the poor kicks (eg Answerth and Adams) and then ramped up the pressure. Basically meant we then went long and high down the wings letting Lever and co cut it off
I don't know anything about gameplay and tactics and whatnot. I don't understand it.

All I know is we lose centre clearances often but it doesn't matter because our defence is elite and our midfield runs hard to help them.

Footy's pretty simple I think. Stack on the pressure like we did against the Saints and the Lions and we're a chance. If our forward 50 entries are ok and our forwards aren't being campaigners then we're an even better chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know anything about gameplay and tactics and whatnot. I don't understand it.

All I know is we lose centre clearances often but it doesn't matter because our defence is elite and our midfield runs hard to help them.

Footy's pretty simple I think. Stack on the pressure like we did against the Saints and the Lions and we're a chance. If our forward 50 entries are ok and our forwards aren't being campaigners then we're an even better chance.
Our pressure IS our forward 50 entries. Our main scoring wood is forward half turnovers. The rest of our offensive game falls in place around that.

Freo sure but can't see the Cats being a problem for you in September. All things being equal, the Cats midfield simply isn't close to on a par with yours. And their biggest match winner in Danger simply has not delivered in finals. So sure he could play a blinder as could every other one of their mids but high likely is that? All things being equal...

Weideman put in another blinder. It's time they cut their losses with that bloke.
Why?

He did his job as the backup ruckman last night

Weideman put in another blinder. It's time they cut their losses with that bloke.

I don't rate him either but he was OK playing 2nd ruck/forward last night. We don't really have any other options over him right now, throwing in Van Rooyen would be a bad idea if he has to shoulder some of the ruck load.

I don't rate him either but he was OK playing 2nd ruck/forward last night. We don't really have any other options over him right now, throwing in Van Rooyen would be a bad idea if he has to shoulder some of the ruck load.
Mitch Brown would offer more around the ground as a 2nd ruck and couldn't offer any less forward than Weideman has for 7 years.

Ah I’ve missed these Melbourne supporters. Half of them haven’t been sighted here for three weeks, until last night.
What kind of person would go on a troll thread with the kind of analysis we see in here when their team has looked terrible? You just know it's going to be the worst takes ever don't you.

I've never jumped off them so far in 2022 despite the 3 losses in a row, as I've seen Richmond have form slumps in our flag years too.

Probably would have been the first time I'd changed my flag tip if the Lions won last night, but gave the Dees another chance and they delivered.

They look very Richmond-esque in their season construction to me, a bit of a form slump heading into the midway point, but watch them come home with a wet sail and peak in finals.

Still Melbourne's flag IMO.

It's not necessarily a form slump, but more of a fatigue jump!

These clubs with wins in hand and in the frame for a premiership will increase their training loads in the middle of the season. A bit like a mini-preseason. They'll purposely overreach in training for a few weeks to set them up for the final stretch and finals.

A simple way to look at performance at any given time is with the following equation:
Performance = (Fitness + skills) - (Fatigue + interference)

An increase in fatigue leads to a reduction in performance. They've most likely now gone back to normal in-season loads with less fatigue, and also, are benefitting from an increase in fitness from the recently increased loads.

Melbourne suffered from a similar drop in performance at a similar period of the season last year.

On the other hand, Brisbane might be going through their overreaching phase now. Games between the contenders at this time of year can be deceiving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back