How can we improve atmospheres in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Look I'm not going to yell and make stupid remakes like you do filled with assumption with no logic other than opinion. Stuff like "Soccer in this country is dogshit" aren't even funny.

Soccer it played in just about every country in the world, it is a game cherished and loved by so many fans, especially in England, the same way we do with AFL. I'm not suprised ethier, as so many of us grow up in families with parents and grandparents who loved AFL and are used to going to the footy with their kids every Saturday Arvo to cheer on their beloved team. We were all bought up on footy, can't deny that. When you think of soccer 20 years ago, yes it is a girls game for whimps, everyone is soft, it's too low scoring. Their the things we want to believe to make sure we never go against our traditions.

But sometimes you have to think why it is the most played and most watched game around the world, their must be something wrong with us if we are saying all these things while others saying the opposite. Soccer is actually a very skillful game, you can't use your hands. The low scoring makes it even more exciting as you know your team is always in the game and the contest is always on for the 90 minutes. Even if you are up by 2 goals with 10 minutes to go, the win isn't guaranteed.

More and more people are attending A-League games, the TV deals are becoming massive, junior participation is bigger than AFL.

1 example, take my dad. He grew up watching Carlton play every 2nd Saturday Arvo at Princes Park for the best part of 20 years, he bets on the races, used to play tennis and takes a big interest in the cricket. He thought soccer was a joke in Australia in the mid 90's. Yet now he has a Melbourne Victory membership and can see the growth in the game and the skill involved.

More kids play FIFA (Soccer game) than any AFL game as they love to learn the skills, the players and the teams.

Before we judge, let's just have a think about why soccer has even come this far in Australia.

The game was invented in England and spread through Europe and countries colonized by Britain. Aussie Rules was created in Australia in the 1800's-the most isolated country in the world with a tiny population at the time. You write as if a hundred years ago the countries of the world had a meeting and all the ball games ever invented were performed before they had a vote on which one they wanted to play.:huh:

Perhaps you should start trawling for these "reams" of "NTTAWWTta-ball" comments - because I couldn't find one. Which makes me wonder why you started your post thus.
Exactly, there were zero. A handful of "boring soccer" type comments but few others actually critical of the game

Exactly, there were zero. A handful of "boring soccer" type comments but few others actually critical of the game

Actually there was, but they were brazen enough and offensive enough that they were removed pretty quickly.

The game was invented in England and spread through Europe and countries colonized by Britain. Aussie Rules was created in Australia in the 1800's-the most isolated country in the world with a tiny population at the time. You write as if a hundred years ago the countries of the world had a meeting and all the ball games ever invented were performed before they had a vote on which one they wanted to play.:huh:

Exactly!

Our code just keeps getting better also.

Actually there was, but they were brazen enough and offensive enough that they were removed pretty quickly.

Haha, you're seriously going with that? I saw none of these so that must have been all just after you spied them but before anyone else did

Play the bloody GF at night for starters Its the most watched match of the year and being an event/show should have the benefit of the night atmosphere Ever bee to an outdoor concert in the daytime? = No compairision the the night for atmosphere!

Last edited:
Play the bloody GF at night for starters Its the most watched match of the year and being an event/show should have the benefit of the night atmosphere Ever bee to an outdoor concert in the daytime? = No compairision the the night for atmosphere!

Leave it where it is. We have the afternoon for beers & bbq. Then time after for supporters & players to go out & celebrate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO chanting throughout a game just shows that people are bored with whats going on the pitch.

Same with a mexican wave, a tense cricket match is unlikely to get one, but an exciting match on the other hand....

IMO chanting throughout a game just shows that people are bored with whats going on the pitch.

Same with a mexican wave, a tense cricket match is unlikely to get one, but an exciting match on the other hand....

Yeah, that's just ignorant as hell dude.

Seriously, if people know nothing about the culture of football (soccer) why even comment? You aren't adding anything to the discussion if you don't have the first clue what you are talking about.

Seriously, if people know nothing about the culture of football (soccer) why even comment? You aren't adding anything to the discussion if you don't have the first clue what you are talking about.

I'll take this opportunity to highlight the implicit tolerance of the culture of the great game of Australian football - a soccer fan and a rugby league fan enjoying the sanctity of an Australian football forum to debate the merits of their codes. The pax Australian football is coming, people, and the code wars will be no more

Ignorant, perhaps, imo your post is defensive.

I have been to plenty of soccer matches and not needed to chant....

If you have no idea about what my knowledge on football / soccer culture is why do you even comment.

Pot Kettle

Defensive.

If all you enjoy about a sport is the singing then perhaps you would be best of just going to a concert / singing festival and do away with the people running around in the middle.

FTR I have no issue with the entertainment provided by a football/soccer match, but I find the argument that atmosphere at a football/soccer match superior to that of an AFL/League/netball/big bash match because people are singing more in a football/soccer match ridiculous.

That said I enjoy a good national anthem before a game or song before a game to get people revved up...

And to be fair as a liverpool fan, I always enjoy a good youll never walk alone.

However if you need it during the game thats an indictment of whats going on during the pitch not a positive for it.

Ignorant, perhaps, imo your post is defensive.

I have been to plenty of soccer matches and not needed to chant....

If you have no idea about what my knowledge on football / soccer culture is why do you even comment.

Pot Kettle

Defensive.

If all you enjoy about a sport is the singing then perhaps you would be best of just going to a concert / singing festival and do away with the people running around in the middle.

FTR I have no issue with the entertainment provided by a football/soccer match, but I find the argument that atmosphere at a football/soccer match superior to that of an AFL/League/netball/big bash match because people are singing more in a football/soccer match ridiculous.

That said I enjoy a good national anthem before a game or song before a game to get people revved up...

And to be fair as a liverpool fan, I always enjoy a good youll never walk alone.

However if you need it during the game thats an indictment of whats going on during the pitch not a positive for it.

The notion that people at football matches sing because they're bored is ignorant as hell. I don't give a s**t that you're cool enough that you "don't need to chant", I don't give a s**t what you think you know about football.

The post you made is idiotic, and the fact it's ignorant is indisputable. Clearly if you knew a thing about football culture you would understand why your post was so moronic.

The notion that people at football matches sing because they're bored is ignorant as hell. I don't give a s**t that you're cool enough that you "don't need to chant", I don't give a s**t what you think you know about football.

The post you made is idiotic, and the fact it's ignorant is indisputable. Clearly if you knew a thing about football culture you would understand why your post was so moronic.
The only idiotic post is the one from the bloke who is so super defensive about his particular sport that he cant handle the fact that an AFL or NRL or NFL fan can get immense pleasure from going to a sporting contest to watch that sporting contest.

One post - This guy doesnt know s**t about football culture.

Next post - I dont give a s**t about what you know. But if you knew anything you would know you are wrong.

Your circling the drain.

Not needing to chant has nothing to do with being cool or not cool, lol, I don't know how you came to that conclusion, as I said I am entertained enough by the drama on the pitch to not need to chant.

An interesting analogy, go to a basketball game, the main chanting occurs when the home team doesnt have the ball ("Defence") I dare say that most players dont give a s**t about the chanting , they are more concentrating on there assignments. But the crowd just like in any sport gives less of a s**t when you dont have the ball, so to make it more fun, they chant.

In any event, keep on believing mate, keep on raging and keep singing.

But if you think the AFL needs to take a page out of the Aleagues book when it comes to fan engagement, behaviour and atmosphere then, slow clap for you.

Where is the chanting when John Aloisi is lining up for his penalty?

If the chanting is so so so brilliant , why when there a * off dramatic moments aren't people chanting. Because they are on the edge of their seats... they are not chanting...

By the way, if this thread keeps going the way its going, I am just going to reply in PM I would prefer to make my internet tough guy insults private and not burden the rest of the community with our dong measuring contest.

Last edited:
The only idiotic post is the one from the bloke who is so super defensive about his particular sport that he cant handle the fact that an AFL or NRL or NFL fan can get immense pleasure from going to a sporting contest to watch that sporting contest.

One post - This guy doesnt know s**t about football culture.

Next post - I dont give a s**t about what you know. But if you knew anything you would know you are wrong.

Your circling the drain.

Not needing to chant has nothing to do with being cool or not cool, lol, I don't know how you came to that conclusion, as I said I am entertained enough by the drama on the pitch to not need to chant.

An interesting analogy, go to a basketball game, the main chanting occurs when the home team doesnt have the ball ("Defence") I dare say that most players dont give a s**t about the chanting , they are more concentrating on there assignments. But the crowd just like in any sport gives less of a s**t when you dont have the ball, so to make it more fun, they chant.

In any event, keep on believing mate, keep on raging and keep singing.

But if you think the AFL needs to take a page out of the Aleagues book when it comes to fan engagement, behaviour and atmosphere then, slow clap for you.

Where is the chanting when John Aloisi is lining up for his penalty?

If the chanting is so so so brilliant , why when there a **** off dramatic moments aren't people chanting. Because they are on the edge of their seats... they are not chanting...

By the way, if this thread keeps going the way its going, I am just going to reply in PM I would prefer to make my internet tough guy insults private and not burden the rest of the community with our dong measuring contest.

the reason people chant in soccer is the same reason people chant in AFL. to support their team. it has nothing to do with boredom or lack of action. there are many reasons why soccer has more chanting. one is that it is a different culture here than in Europe. Field size, home grounds and segregation are all potential other factors.

a boring game of soccer would have less chanting than an exciting game. similar to an AFL game. you dont hear a louder "BAALLLLLL!!!" or more "Lets go Sydney" in uninteresting AFL games. you have to be invested to care. that investment comes from the game.

A Mexican Wave(in most cases) or Paper Planes are not chanting. chanting, as mentioned, is linked to supporting your team. it is the whole 12th man factor.

the reason people chant in soccer is the same reason people chant in AFL. to support their team. it has nothing to do with boredom or lack of action. there are many reasons why soccer has more chanting. one is that it is a different culture here than in Europe. Field size, home grounds and segregation are all potential other factors.

a boring game of soccer would have less chanting than an exciting game. similar to an AFL game. you dont hear a louder "BAALLLLLL!!!" or more "Lets go Sydney" in uninteresting AFL games. you have to be invested to care. that investment comes from the game.

A Mexican Wave(in most cases) or Paper Planes are not chanting. chanting, as mentioned, is linked to supporting your team. it is the whole 12th man factor.
I agree that people chant to support there team.

The chanting in AFL, League alot of other games occurs during breaks in play. Yes that does add to the atmosphere. When its continued during the play if s**t is happening it dies pretty fast as people switch there focus to what is actually happening.

My fundamental disagreement is that sports like the AFL, NRL, NFL need more chanting. I have clearly articulated why. I also think you are being kind to the reasons for the chanting. Yes it isn't just due to boredom, boredom is a strong word, but to deny the simple logic that if people are engaged in what they are watching they won't want to break that engagement by chanting IMO is wrong.

Keep in mind this thread was started as an aleague has a far better atmosphere then AFL thread, I mean come on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back