How come Richmond don't play West Coast in Perth?

Remove this Banner Ad

This has never been the case, because there are some guaranteed double ups no matter what the ladder position is of their respective teams (eg western derby, showdown, NSW/Qld derbies, Essendon v Collingwood etc etc etc).

The grouping of teams of 1-6, 7-12 and 13-18 is simply to ensure teams are more likely to double up with those roughly around the same ladder position.

Yeah thanks mate. I did think how they would incorporate the usual double-ups i.e. Showdowns and Derby's etc. If these teams fell into the different brackets. Thanks. Cheers.

****** if I know. Maybe for some reason, I read a comment on here about how the top 6 should play each other twice or that they would and got it mixed up with reading it from some news source somehow.

I think that's what should happen. The seventh return match can be for derbies and rivalries.
I think you suffer from a condition called premature thread posting.
You should seek help.

Most WC supporters are glad we are playing them at the G. We were sick of hearing that we only flogged them because it was in Perth.
Alex Rance was either drunk when we played them earlier this year or he just isn't very good.

****** if I know. Maybe for some reason, I read a comment on here about how the top 6 should play each other twice or that they would and got it mixed up with reading it from some news source somehow.

I think that's what should happen. The seventh return match can be for derbies and rivalries.

Made this table while bored last week, it sets out who gets return games against who

579934_a17b30478c430eef20921585687d153e.png

Most WC supporters are glad we are playing them at the G. We were sick of hearing that we only flogged them because it was in Perth.

Have to respectfully disagree, happy for that flogging to be brought up for any reason.

With apologies to Winston, this game was not the end; it wasn't even the beginning of the end. But it was, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Good thread, would read again.

I think it's a disgrace that Richmond haven't played West Coast in Perth since Rd 9, 2018.

We've actually played Richmond the fewest times of all teams since 1987 (teams joining after 1987 excluded of course)). Have only played them twice in a season 4 times this century. Not really sure why that is. The Bulldogs on the hand we've played twice in a season 12 times in the same period. Not playing them twice feels like something is missing from the season.

Good thread, would read again.

I think it's a disgrace that Richmond haven't played West Coast in Perth since Rd 9, 2018.

We've actually played Richmond the fewest times of all teams since 1987 (teams joining after 1987 excluded of course)). Have only played them twice in a season 4 times this century. Not really sure why that is. The Bulldogs on the hand we've played twice in a season 12 times in the same period. Not playing them twice feels like something is missing from the season.
It’s a strange fixture quirk. Haven’t doubled up since 2009 either. I can’t see a reason why we would double up less often than we do against the likes of Port.

It’s a strange fixture quirk. Haven’t doubled up since 2009 either. I can’t see a reason why we would double up less often than we do against the likes of Port.
WC wont draw as well as Melbourne clubs at the G, and you dont move games. They'll fill Optus against anyone though.
It makes sense from a crowds point if view not to double you up maybe.

WC wont draw as well as Melbourne clubs at the G, and you dont move games. They'll fill Optus against anyone though.

It's sad that nearly every fixture decision the AFL makes is $$$ based rather than competition based. I see why they do it, but I just don't understand why making money is the absolute number 1 objective for what is a non-profit organisation. I guess it's to activate bonuses for the hierarchy. Good on em.

I’m more thinking WC compared to other interstate sides. We double up against sides like Freo pretty frequently, and they’re even lower drawing in Vic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's sad that nearly every fixture decision the AFL makes is $$$ based rather than competition based. I see why they do it, but I just don't understand why making money is the absolute number 1 objective for what is a non-profit organisation. I guess it's to activate bonuses for the hierarchy. Good on em.
I'm not sure the final step, ie the $ actually is the motivator. Success ultimately brings power and influence for the executives. Look at the influence Gil obviously has with government ministers.

I’m more thinking WC compared to other interstate sides. We double up against sides like Freo pretty frequently, and they’re even lower drawing in Vic.
Would a Freo-Tigers game in Perth draw better than a Freo-Giants game though? I think so.

The unique thing about the Crows and Eagles is they dont generally need opposition supporters to fill their ground. Port and Freo are successful clubs, but their crowds are smaller.

You don't get crowds anywhere.

You still get a gig.

Bit of an indictment on the big vic clubs supporter bases if with their supposedly huge membership numbers can't bring in massive attendences when playing at home against non vic opposition.

Bit of an indictment on the big vic clubs supporter bases if with their supposedly huge membership numbers can't bring in massive attendences when playing at home against non vic opposition.
Objectively maybe more to do with the capacity if the G.

You have a point though. In the last two years we've played the Tigers and the Magpies at the G to H/A crowds of around 30k.

Our finals against them at the G have drawn 90k and 80k respectively.

That's a big difference in atmosphere.

You could argue we get more out of playing the Eagles at Optus, in terms of getting the young guys used to the atmosphere and noise of a big crowd.

Yeah I never really care about the fixture in advance, but like the OP I thought the same.

My understanding was that each club played each other once (17 games) and 1-6, 7-12, 13-18 from the previous year's ladder positioning doubled up, making it 22 games.

Obviously judging from comments I have been mistaken. Can someone shed some light on this? Was the above ever the case?? Or have I completely just made this up in my head!

Cheers
There are 5 double ups. As a general rule that’s 3 against the same grouping of 6 and 1 each from the other two groups. Tigers play pies, dees and giants from same group, port from middle group and blues from bottom group. They also manipulate the feature games around this.

There are 5 double ups. As a general rule that’s 3 against the same grouping of 6 and 1 each from the other two groups. Tigers play pies, dees and giants from same group, port from middle group and blues from bottom group. They also manipulate the feature games around this.
Thanks mate :) cheers

A similar thread asking why Collingwood haven't done the Perth H&A double for 17 straight years might be more on the mark. How is this possible in this day and age?

Lest we forget this is just weeks after the reigning premiership coach used about the only window of opportunity he could to raise the issue of player welfare related to travel each season.

I'm not sure when the 'top 8 plays top 8 more than bottom 8 twice' stuff came in but I guess we've played finals 23 times in 32 seasons and Richmond have played finals 7 times but it is an unusual quirk over a long period. I've never really considered that we don't play Richmond as often as other teams.

Having the 2017 and 2018 premiers (1 & 2 in 2018 H&A) only playing once in 2019 is an interesting piece of fixturing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back