How come Richmond don't play West Coast in Perth?

Remove this Banner Ad

This has never been the case, because there are some guaranteed double ups no matter what the ladder position is of their respective teams (eg western derby, showdown, NSW/Qld derbies, Essendon v Collingwood etc etc etc).
Is that always guaranteed? No reason why the ANZAC day game and season opener need to be doubled.

Is that always guaranteed? No reason why the ANZAC day game and season opener need to be doubled.
I'm happy to be proven wrong by facts, but I don't think there's any all-victorian match up that is guaranteed to be doubled up. Certainly, some are more likely than others, but not guaranteed like the showdown etc.

Most WC supporters are glad we are playing them at the G. We were sick of hearing that we only flogged them because it was in Perth.
OK, so you think that West Coast 2018 would flog Richmond 2018 if the game was at the MCG?

Adelaide in 2017 flogged Richmond by 76 points and then at the MCG we beat them by 48 points.
They then comfortably accounted for us at AO by 36 points in 2018 and then we beat them by 47 points at the MCG.

Richmond at the MCG were in 2018 a different prospect at the MCG and away from it. Based on the evidence available, it is reasonable to state that it is likely West Coast would not do the same thing at the MCG as what they did to Richmond in Perth.

Our performance inside and outside the MCG could even up with a tall next year, but it has been quite different in 2017-2018.

OK, so you think that West Coast 2018 would flog Richmond 2018 if the game was at the MCG?

Adelaide in 2017 flogged Richmond by 76 points and then at the MCG we beat them by 48 points.
They then comfortably accounted for us at AO by 36 points in 2018 and then we beat them by 47 points at the MCG.

Richmond at the MCG were in 2018 a different prospect at the MCG and away from it. Based on the evidence available, it is reasonable to state that it is likely West Coast would not do the same thing at the MCG as what they did to Richmond in Perth.

Our performance inside and outside the MCG could even up with a tall next year, but it has been quite different in 2017-2018.

Actually all the evidence from 2018 would suggest we would have beaten you at the G. Hence why we beat the Pies at the G twice, including a GF. You can't compare Adelaide 2017 to WC 2018. Adeaide choked on the G. Eagles stepped up every time they played on it.

Actually all the evidence from 2018 would suggest we would have beaten you at the G. Hence why we beat the Pies at the G twice, including a GF. You can't compare Adelaide 2017 to WC 2018. Adeaide choked on the G. Eagles stepped up every time they played on it.
I am not questioning whether West Coast would beat us here. I am questioning whether West Coast would flog us. Just because West Coast flogged us in Perth does not mean they'll do it here too.

I am not questioning whether West Coast would beat us here. I am questioning whether West Coast would flog us. Just because West Coast flogged us in Perth does not mean they'll do it here too.

Guess we will never know. Hence why I'm really looking forward to Tigers Eagles at the G in 2019.

Guess we will never know. Hence why I'm really looking forward to Tigers Eagles at the G in 2019.
Me too, but surprised we were not scheduled to play West Coast twice though. Thought they'd be the team we play twice in either Port Adelaide or GWS' place given how the season tracked.

Me too, but surprised we were not scheduled to play West Coast twice though. Thought they'd be the team we play twice in either Port Adelaide or GWS' place given how the season tracked.
It would be in ours given we finished in the top 6. Really just giving you a challenge to beat us away for the first time since our guys started to shave.
We get a game at the G, it's all good.

That's good. Now you know how Victorian teams feel when people say they only won flags because the Granny was that the MCG. Can't have it both ways you know.
Well i think the difference is - we WANT to play our opponents away from our home ground as we are AWARE that we are better there.

We are curious as to how we stack up against richmond at the g - we thrashed them in perth but are aware that the result is likely to be very different at the g.

Whereas you lot beat us on your homeground and say “that team would have beaten anyone anywhere”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NO
You beat the choke pies, not the mighty Tigers in 2018 GF
Disrespectful to crows in 2017.Had 1 really bad game in 2017 which unfortunately was in the GF

Well i think the difference is - we WANT to play our opponents away from our home ground as we are AWARE that we are better there.

We are curious as to how we stack up against richmond at the g - we thrashed them in perth but are aware that the result is likely to be very different at the g.

Whereas you lot beat us on your homeground and say “that team would have beaten anyone anywhere”
Should be a great match. No guarantee the teams will be the same they were in 2018 though.

2019 Tigers/Eagles could be better or worse. A lot can change over an offseason. It's very hard to predict improvement and decline, and that's not factoring in form and injuries at all.

It is ridiculous that the two top clubs after the H&A in 2018 dont play each other twice in 2019.
I would have thought that would be automatic, but this is the AFL. Run by dropkicks generally.

Should be a great match. No guarantee the teams will be the same they were in 2018 though.

2019 Tigers/Eagles could be better or worse. A lot can change over an offseason. It's very hard to predict improvement and decline, and that's not factoring in form and injuries at all.
Hopefully its a smash

It is ridiculous that the two top clubs after the H&A in 2018 dont play each other twice in 2019.
I would have thought that would be automatic, but this is the AFL. Run by dropkicks generally.
The FIXture.

Cant remember the last time we played richmond twice.

I think in general we only play the big vic clubs once as their return matches are required to make small vic clubs coin

The FIXture.

Cant remember the last time we played richmond twice.

I think in general we only play the big vic clubs once as their return matches are required to make small vic clubs coin
We've got the Tigers, Bombets and Hawks twice as a smaller drawing club in Melbourne. I dont think that really holds up. I think it's more to do with the fact you'll fill Optus playing anyone but the big clubs are good for us at Spotless.

We've got the Tigers, Bombets and Hawks twice as a smaller drawing club in Melbourne. I dont think that really holds up. I think it's more to do with the fact you'll fill Optus playing anyone but the big clubs are good for us at Spotless.
Make a big difference to your numbers up there?

I know the pies supporters travel.

Make a big difference to your numbers up there?

I know the pies supporters travel.
Actually no more than the Bombers, Tiger, Blues, Hawks or surprisingly to me the Cats. They're all good options. The AFL do have a vested interest in helping us and bigger crowds has some momentum. Spotless is a good experience but Sydney people need to be motivated to get off their butt and come. The club believes getting people there once gives a good chance of making them regulars.

It's to do with Sydney residents I think. I often see adults decked out in opposition colours with kids in Giants colours. Others comment on the same phenomenon.

It probably been worth around 4k, compared to say playing Gold Coast. That matters to us.

The WA teams traditionally weren't strong drawers but WC actually hold the non-derby record now. I wonder how much of that is the downturn in the WA economy when Sydney was booming, and attracting tradespeople, IT contractors etc from interstate. For a long time the movement was in the other direction.

Last edited:
Actually no more than the Bombers Blues, Hawks or surprisingly to me the Cats. They're all good options. The AFL do have a vested interest in helping us and bigger crowds has some momentum. Spotless is a good experience but Sydney people need to be motivated to get off their butt and come. The club believes getting people there once gives a good chance of making them regulars.

It's to do with Sydney residentsh I think. I often see adults decked out in opposition colours with kids in Giants colours. Others comment on the same phenomenon.

It probably been worth around 4k, compared to say playing Gold Coast. That matters to us.

The WA teams traditionally weren't strong drawers but WC actually hold the non-derby record now. I wonder how much of that is the downturn in the WA economy when Sydney was booming, and attracting tradespeople, IT contractors etc from interstate. For a long time the movement was in the other direction.
Well the wa economy is fwarked and has been for years so your crowd numbers should stay ok

Remove this Banner Ad

Back