Opinion How confident are you this Final Series? What's stopping you from putting 100%?

How confident?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm about 80% -- which is basically the chance I give us of wining the GF.

I reckon that if we get over Hawthorn on Thursday, and do it with a bit of breathing space, then we have every right to expect we will go all the way.

Right at the moment, though, the last few weeks have left me a bit concerned. Yes, I know we had little to play for, and were managing players, and that our opposition was fighting for their lives, so I do get the optimism of those who think the last few weeks were just the calm before a Tiger storm.

But like many others I'm still haunted by 37 years of managing to screw things up right at the critical moment. What if the last 12 months was just a short-lived (yet glorious) moment in the sun? What if we stop being Tigerish and start being Richmondy again (a bit of a reference to Jay Croucher's "Destruction Tour" article from last year!)?

So I reckon that the Hawthorn game is a litmus test -- it will make clear what we're really going to bring to this finals campaign. If it's a repeat of the last few weeks I'll be very sad. I'm hoping, though, that this week we absolutely turn it on.

Still nervous though and I think we need a three-peat to really steady the nerves!

30%. Plenty of finals teams playing great footy at the moment, combined with a flat last couple of weeks from us and the historical perspective.

Don't get me wrong though, nervous as hell, but having won last year I'm going to enjoy every minute of it!

Last year Adelaide had lost 3 of their last 6 games. Although we've been a little shaky we've been winning.
Good point...I think out best is better, I’m just a little twitchy and don’t want to count my chickens before their chickens.

Tiger Army,how is our form?

Have we been quiet the last few weeks,dulled by that extra lager or the locking away of the minor premiership early?

Have we been loud enough??

Stay tuned.................

I need to lift my game,away from behind the glass walls on Thursday,time to up the ante,legally of course.

Carna Tiges!

#hungertime

I'm confident, probably 70%. The only thing that makes me doubt myself is how bad I want another flag. Any time the game pops into my head I start feeling physically anxious. Oh well this is what we are fans for.

50%.
10% for six slack weeks without the white hot hunger of last season. Too many key players have already played their Grand Final.
10% for terrible inaccuracy in front of goal, which hasn't been held accountable.
10% for being picked apart through the corridor several times, without any obvious reaction in the game plan. It only takes a run of 10 minutes, especially after the "Richmond Half-Time Snooze", to go down three critical, momentum-sapping goals.
10% for the umpiring, which is worse against the Tiges this year.
10% for there being no home ground advantage for the first two finals.
Lord, may I be wrong on Thursday.

Last edited:
The first 10 minutes will tell us alot on Thursday if we a switched on.I'm fairly confident backing the players and football department managed this season so well flawless to be honest don't underestimate Balmy effect to been there done that.Yeah last 3 games of the season were close those clubs through the kitchen and sink at us to,but we got the wins not at our best tho still a sign of a very good side.Not sure why people saying side hasn't been settled has been most season apart from injuries and resting players.

Finals is a new season now boys know everyone starts even.The only concern I have is our insde 50 work needs to be more efficient and nail our dominance.The mosquito fleet hasn't been reunited to.If we can get close to even out clearances and contested ball that will be a bonus to.

50%.
10% for six slack weeks without the white hot hunger of last season. Too many key players have already played their Grand Final.
10% for terrible inaccuracy in front of goal, which hasn't been held accountable.
10% for being picked apart through the corridor several times, without any obvious reaction in the game plan. It only takes a run of 10 minutes, especially after the "Richmond Half-Time Snooze", to go down three critical, momentum-sapping goals.
10% for the umpiring, which is worse against the Tiges this year.
10% for there being no home ground advantage for the first two finals.
Lord, may I be wrong on Thursday.

Might as well not rock up then and tell the boys mad Monday.

Probably at 50% this week. Hawks are a tough ask and the bye will have benefitted them more than us. If we win this week then 70% for the prelim and 60% for the GF. Let's say 60%.

If we lose this week... then it drops to 30%.
Hawks are as weak as piss. If we can't beat them then we are no hope. They're the weakest side in the 8.

What is stopping me from putting 100%? ....THIS!!!!

2018 Field Umpires
1 Chris Donlon 2 Nick Foot
3 Leigh Fisher 4 Luke Farmer
5 Leigh Haussen 6 Dean Margetts
7 Jeff Dalgleish 8 Brett Rosebury
9 Matt Stevic 10 Robert O'Gorman
11 Curtis Deboy 12 Andrrew Stephens
13 Nicholas Brown 14 Hayden Gavine
15 Mathew Nicholls 16 Brendan Hosking
17 Justin Schmitt 18 Ray Chamberlain
19 Alex Whetton 20 Sam Hay
21 Simon Meredith 22 Nathan Williamson
23 Robert Findlay 24 David Harris
25 Shaun Ryan 26 Craig Fleer
27 Andre Gianfagna 28 Troy Pannell
29 Scott Jeffery 30 Shane McInerney
31 Andrew Mitchell 32 Jacob Mollison
33 Brent Wallace 34 Eleni Glouftsis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just the unknown about how much we have been keeping in reserve. If we come out and play with the intensity we did against the Cats in 2017 QF, then my confidence level will greatly increase.

At our best, I think we are the best team in it. Would not want to come out a bit half-baked and then have to head to WA to final a prelim over there (assuming we get past Dees/Cats).

Hopefully the work we have done managing players and experimenting with structure (i.e. not playing 7 defenders, paying no attention to mids who work back to rack up 45+) has all been designed to have us fit and firing come Thursday.

Umps are the biggest worry for me. Raped us all year and if we’re in a tight tussle against say Melbourne who are this years Cinderella story, they’ll try and smash us yet again

Meh, they killed us last year during the H & A, yet we had more free kicks for than against over the finals... Fewer games, better umps.

See a logical post like that sows more seeds of doubt for me - To clarify, if we are at or near our best, i am very confident we go b2b. But like you mentioned going 6-0 in finals is extremely rare - who does that? Not hawthorn in a 3 peat, not Geelong, not the bombers - Brisvegas did it in their 3peat and lost their 7th final in the 3rd year.

What we do have going for us is that we're healthy, fit and full squad to choose from and still look like we're genuinely hungry and excited, so if we do lose I dont think its going to be bc of a drop off mentally.

60-70% for me

Hawks did it (3-0) 2013 inc. GF & (3-0) 2014 inc. GF.

I'm at 80% which I feel is our approximate current output relative to our actual ability. If we step it up to 100% output no-one gets near us.

I still think our 80% gets us the chocolates, but our 100% gets the type of margins we saw last finals series.

About 50%.

I’m not worried about any of our opposition. More worried that we might have an off game. If the 2008 Cats, 2009 Saints and 2011 Pies can fail to win the flag, we could do the same.

Umps are also a massive worry. Especially if we come up against West Coast or Collingwood who both get kissed on the dick weekly

I started at 110% because I reckon the Hawks are the worst top 4 team for 100 years and the first week will be a massive confidence booster for us.:)

But then I dropped to 90% when I recalled that the previous worst top 4 team was Fitzroy in 1916 when they won the wooden spoon but went on to win the premiership in the same year.:greenalien:

I finally bounced back to 100% after checking and the Tigers were the only team in the top 4 Fitzroy avoided playing in 1916.:cool:

Back