How could Geelong possibly miss James Worpel?

Remove this Banner Ad

You're not wrong, both teams have drafted quite well over the last decade without any high draft picks

You seriously think Worpel is a better footballer than Joel Selwood? ******* lol

Did I say Worpel is a better footballer?

I said in that instance Worpel used superior skill and beat Selwood which lead to a goal for his team.

If you choose to interpret that as me saying Worpel is a better footballer rather than he performed better at a particular contest, that's entirely on you.

Pulling up on the kick saved another Brayshaw-like incident. Some may say that is 'shirking it', but Selwood's track record of putting his head over the ball should not be in question if you're being fair dinkum. Worpel read it fractionally better than Selwood and did very well; Selwood clearly saw no point in kicking Worpel in any way, shape or form and pulled up. Great play Worpel, no need to slight Selwood though.

I would argue Worpel's agility on his feet did more to avoid an incident than Selwood bracing for impact in a very dangerous manner (or Selwood choosing to not kick another player in the face, and I dont think any player ever deserves praise for making that choice, its a pretty standard option lol)

Last edited:

Did I say Worpel is a better footballer?

I said in that instance Worpel used superior skill and beat Selwood which lead to a goal for his team.

If you choose to interpret that as me saying Worpel is a better footballer rather than he performed better at a particular contest, that's entirely on you.

Selwood could have killed him but pulled out, make no mistake

No I just found it funny when you said you knew his family personally lol.

There is not enough laughter in the world, i like to say.

But you made a mistake. "i knew his family personally".......You were speed reading perhaps

Last edited:
No I just found it funny when you said you knew his family personally lol.

Mate, he is one of 9 children and 2 parents and he has said a number of times in public forums that they were all Geelong supporters until he was drafted.

But get your laughs where you can.

Selwood went to kick it then changed to ready his elbow and aim it at Worpel's head. If it wasn't for Worpel's superior skill and attack of the ball Selwood would have gotten weeks for contact to Worpel's head. That gif needs the other angle.
Not only did Selwood try and elbow worpel in the head, it was only worpels amazing speed and agility that evaded the thuggish act.

* please note that Joel Selwood is a 250 game player, club captain, multiple most courage award winner and 6 time AA. But this is definitely what happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only did Selwood try and elbow worpel in the head, it was only worpels amazing speed and agility that evaded the thuggish act.

* please note that Joel Selwood is a 250 game player, club captain, multiple most courage award winner and 6 time AA. But this is definitely what happened.

have confidence in your own sarcasm. no need for the *

Mate, he is one of 9 children and 2 parents and he has said a number of times in public forums that they were all Geelong supporters until he was drafted.

But get your laughs where you can.
Ok Sooz

Geez this is a rubbish thread. I dislike the Cats as much as any Hawk fan but questioning their drafting/recruiting probably aint the smartest call, plenty of runs on the board there. Worpel looks like being a player.... let's just enjoy it.

None of this removes the possibility of a lapse in judgement, nor does it remove the possibility of being beaten by a kid, which happened. Watch the gif.

None of this removes the possibility of a lapse in judgement, nor does it remove the possibility of being beaten by a kid, which happened. Watch the gif.

That elbow was in a totally normal position :drunk:

FFS, don't you all get tired of this senseless bickering like 14-year-olds arguing over who has the faster big brother?

I was huge on eagles getting Worpel. We ended up getting Brayden Ainsworth and he seems to be doing ok in the middle for in the reserves. Only time will tell really.

That elbow was in a totally normal position :drunk:

Hard to tell but looks like Selwood might have actually nicked him with that elbow. Props to the young man for riding the bump perfectly and instead of pleading for a free, disposing of the ball to Schoey, leading to a crucial Hawks goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back