How Crow Can You Go? An Adelaide Football Club Saga

Where will Adelaide finish?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In some ways, a top 2 pick is more valuable in a weak draft than a strong one.

If there’s only a few standout, can’t miss guys available being able to get one is incredibly valuable. In a deeper year, having multiple later picks can pay dividends

That’s where I think we tried to have our cake and eat it too. Going for the extra bite last year makes sense. Giving up too 2 this year does not - we should have found another way to get it done imo.

In some ways, a top 2 pick is more valuable in a weak draft than a strong one.

If there’s only a few standout, can’t miss guys available being able to get one is incredibly valuable. In a deeper year, having multiple later picks can pay dividends

That’s where I think we tried to have our cake and eat it too. Going for the extra bite last year makes sense. Giving up too 2 this year does not - we should have found another way to get it done imo.

Again, you are basing it on pure picks rather than players

What you need to consider are the quality of players available in the draft this year. Stocker would comfortably be in the top 10 this year and while it's highly likely we are giving up a top 2 pick, none of the players are of the calibre of Walsh, Lukosius, Kings, Rozee, Smith etc

Currently on pure numbers the deal is a poor one, based on players available, it's not a bad deal for either club
Fully understand the quality of last years draft and hopefully for us Stocker turns out to be as good as anything from this years draft.

My point was if we knew when the trade was done that it would be Pick 1 for 12 + 19 we would have asked and received more from Adelaide, at least our 2nd round pick back probably more.

Fully understand the quality of last years draft and hopefully for us Stocker turns out to be as good as anything from this years draft.

My point was if we knew when the trade was done that it would be Pick 1 for 12 + 19 we would have asked and received more from Adelaide, at least our 2nd round pick back probably more.

As pure numbers I agree, yet still half the season to play out

How would the trade be viewed if it was pick 4 for say 10 & Stocker?

As pure numbers I agree, yet still half the season to play out

How would the trade be viewed if it was pick 4 for say 10 & Stocker?
That would be where SOS and co would have been hoping for when they made the deal, going to take a minor miracle for us to even get off the bottom now though.

The player drafted has no relevance to the value of the pick.

Pick 1-2 in any draft year is going to be of far more value than 12-14 & 19. It just is.

No club would entertain it, you would be laughed at.

Rowell and Anderson are rated as highly as Walsh was, would you trade Walsh for 12-14 & 19?

Not sure why you're quoting me here, my point agreed that we did not expect to give up pick 2 if you read it again...

Always believed we would have a better 2nd half of the year, let's hope we can win some close ones
Our draw was easier early on, only play Sydney, Melbourne, GC & Saints from the bottom half of the ladder during the rest of the year. (We have 8 games against these sides thus far)

Our draw was easier early on, only play Sydney, Melbourne, GC & Saints from the bottom half of the ladder during the rest of the year. (We have 8 games against these sides thus far)

As well as possibly causing some upsets against the like of the Dockers, Tigers. We also play the likes of the Crows and Eagles, who are travelling sides

You need to revisit the quality of players, through the first round over the last 10 years
If the best player in each of these drafts so happened to be drafted with pick 6, do you think it would hold more value than pick 1?

Picks are a commodity and regardless of the players obtained with them, their value remains consistent to the order they sit. Astute drafting is not mutually exclusive with poor trading.

If the best player in each of these drafts so happened to be drafted with pick 6, do you think it would hold more value than pick 1?

Picks are a commodity and regardless of the players obtained with them, their value remains consistent to the order they sit. Astute drafting is not mutually exclusive with poor trading.

Drafting will never be an "exact" science as there are way too many variables. I can't think of any player drafted at pick 1 in the last 10-15 years that has turned out to be the best player of that year.

I have always been a strong advocate for trading back for multiple picks, within the next 15 or so picks, of any round

Trading for players is a different skillset, you have more exposed form and generally clubs have a greater hit rate based on value of pick

Drafting will never be an "exact" science as there are way too many variables. I can't think of any player drafted at pick 1 in the last 10-15 years that has turned out to be the best player of that year.

I have always been a strong advocate for trading back for multiple picks, within the next 15 or so picks, of any round

Trading for players is a different skillset, you have more exposed form and generally clubs have a greater hit rate based on value of pick

Too much common sense mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a look at how many clubs retained top 12 picks last year and how many traded out this year's picks

What evidence do you have, that would suggest this year's top end draftees are of the same quality of last year?
I’ve just had a quick look but 5 picks under 12 in the 2018 draft were traded.

As for the strength of 2018 to 2019, it’s not up to me, you’ve claimed Stocker is a top 10 pick this year, it’s up to you. But the one piece of evidence you provided turns out to be bogus.

I’ve just had a quick look but 5 picks under 12 in the 2018 draft were traded.

As for the strength of 2018 to 2019, it’s not up to me, you’ve claimed Stocker is a top 10 pick this year, it’s up to you. But the one piece of evidence you provided turns out to be bogus.

LOL @ "power stance" club... also how's Gibbsy working out for youz? :moustache:

Touche. Quality comeback.

You're right though. Not everyone we bring in can be Eddie Betts.
What’s your point...Eddie was doing the magic stuff at Carlton

Always believed we would have a better 2nd half of the year, let's hope we can win some close ones

This trade could easily look different if a few close results went other ways.

Eg if we won the 3 close games we lost by under a goal, we'd be sitting in 14th, equal 12th with Sydney and North.
We would be above GC, Melbourne, WB & Hawthorn.

Which would mean only giving up pick 5-7.

Reality is we're last, but so easily could have been a fair bit higher and no one would be worried about this trade from our POV.

Not really relevant and doesn’t address my point.

We can talk your relevancy back at the Adelaide fred - oh wait- no Carlton supporters allowed into Adelaide fred ...LOL @ chest puffers...

You really should start wearing a mask when your sniffing in all that weed killer.

Even Liddle spoke about it when interviewed recently...his view was, 'if those two players through the trade became premiership players with the Blues, and the Cow's draft pick ends up being a Brownlow Medallist, who has come out ahead?'
thats was a silly comment from the ex Richmond bloke

Brandon Ellis & Dan Butler
or
Nat Fyfe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back