How deep will the Adelaide "Football" club's premiership drought go?

No cups for:

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm shocked at how timid our response is regarding VFL issues. For a supposed powerhouse and one of the largest clubs in Australia by total supporters, the lack of noise coming from our executive surrounding stuff like the AFL signing off on a 3489 year extension to the GF MCG contract is disgraceful.

It's hard for the club to retrospectively complain about inequalities when they just sit there like stunned mullets copping all the VFL's bullshit without a word

Has there ever been a club that ended a long premiership drought that didn't make significant changes to the executive team?

Collingwood maybe? That said, they're quite the outlier in that they are continuously unlucky at the final hurdle instead of being a poorly managed club.

Not sure about no person living seeing it, but my theory is we won't win one until we've had a complete refresh after 2017. No player on the list in 2017 will be involved in one (with us anyway), nor administrators.

Until we're gutted from top to bottom we won't win one. Maybe 20 years at best?

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves."

I was mid 30's when we won those premierships so I could appreciate them and lived it up to the fullest.
To say I partied hard and revelled in them is an understatement.
I'm pushing 58 so I doubt I'll see another in my lifetime now.
Man that sux. I mean c'mon, this is SA! A proud football state with so much football nous.
Not anymore though. The SANFL has been decimated so there is no future generation of administrators, coaches or a general brains trust coming through.
SA football is in a bad way.

We had plenty of chances over the years and we always underachieved, 2005, 2006 and 2016 were real killers. We finally made a GF in 2017, but I think 2005-2006 and 2016 teams were better and messed up when it really mattered (vs West Coast). All this underachieving has destroyed this team. Not sure if we'll ever recover from this or a long time. I'm 38 and I doubt I'll see another one in my lifetime.

Last edited:
with 1 Grand Final appearance in 20 years and zero premierships, is a debacle. And the fact the Chairman is still there that has overseen this whole mess is beyond comprehension.

And I believe Adelaide has maybe the 3rd best winning percentage during the past 20 years (I know Geelong has the best win % during this time and has reached at least 10 preliminary finals since 2004, won 3 flags). Adelaide have certainly had their chances. Maybe the next 20 years we'll have the 3rd worst winning percentage and unexpectedly steal a flag but certainly not thinking too far ahead.

I have these vivid memories as a youth of laughing at those loser clubs who had massive premiership droughts. Sneering at the likes of Sydney, Geelong, the Western Bulldogs, Richmond. Imagine following a club like that, I thought. Then they all overtook us. Ouchy.

Our premiership-losing streak is well into its third decade, and only the most delusional of plankton think that there's any prospect of it ending soon. Personally, i don't think we've even begun recruiting the core that could win one. There is no prospect of a premiership from the current group, or that it could be the basis of one with more experience.

How far deep into that drought will the deeply unsuccessful football club go feeding on our membership money go? How many back pats and self promotions will occur before we lift a cup?

Over to you wise voters.

A good 5 years till our next window.

2025-2028

At least we've broken the prelim hoodoo :rainbow:

Baby steps

A good 5 years till our next window.

2025-2028

At least we've broken the prelim hoodoo :rainbow:

Baby steps

Hopefully. At least we are starting to see we have some pieces to build around. Just now about getting the board and the coaching staff right.

We may have just found our CHF this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

however long it takes to truly drain the swamp off-field.

What really hurts about our drought is that we genuinely should have had a flag mid-00s and then 2017.

Oh well.

Under our current admin we will never win another flag and may as well hand back our licence. If we get Chapman, Roo, Fagan out for starters it will be a minimum of 10 years.

You are absolutely ******* spot on about SA footy.

SA's identity was smashed when we entered the VFL and marginalised our SANFL clubs, whose equivalents in the VFL are today's continuing AFL sides. The division and cultural annihilation sown by that, I suspect, explains to some extent the dramatic decline in football talent output from South Australia too.

It also won't be a popular opinion here, but following faceless SA team in 1990 with fake Port Adelaide in 1997 - which tore the magpies and the Port's fabric and legacy apart - was a hammer blow to our state's footballing heritage.

It was a mistake to join the VFL, for all of us as South Australians.
Amen, could not agree more. I'm an old time Port Magpies fan and proud South Australian. Football was so much better in SA pre 1991..The crows franchise and AFL Port are just a fool's paradise. SA football culture and relevance has been decimated over the past 30 years from the bungled selling of our souls to the VFL.

Without wanting to appear too preachy, I'd rethink the title or at least clarify it- the Crows won the AWFL two years ago and the thread title unintentionally denigrates this achievement.

With regards to the men's league; I can't see it happening for at least 10 years especially given the leg up MCG based clubs have in the ludicrous long term agreement. I'd think that there has to be a clean-out not only at board level but in the strategic direction and culture of the club as there is an assumption and belief among industry people I've spoken with that the AFC is often too insular and too self-satisfied in its management to be cut-throat enough to challenge consistently. Whether this corresponds with the view that it's a business rather than a goals/results oriented sporting club is a moot point.

Without wanting to appear too preachy, I'd rethink the title or at least clarify it- the Crows won the AWFL two years ago and the thread title unintentionally denigrates this achievement.

With regards to the men's league; I can't see it happening for at least 10 years especially given the leg up MCG based clubs have in the ludicrous long term agreement. I'd think that there has to be a clean-out not only at board level but in the strategic direction and culture of the club as there is an assumption and belief among industry people I've spoken with that the AFC is often too insular and too self-satisfied in its management to be cut-throat enough to challenge consistently. Whether this corresponds with the view that it's a business rather than a goals/results oriented sporting club is a moot point.

Oh go away.

Get sh*t right, and 5-6 years is a possibility.

Get sh*t wrong and we could be 5-6 years away for a damn long time.

As s**t as we are right now, you're completely correct.

We're now about to build a side around the highest draft picks in the club's history. If the club can nail the selections in the next couple of years and get its s**t together we could potentially be challenging again in 2025/2026.

If you're going to virtue signal at least get the acronym of the league right. It is AFLW.

As sh*t as we are right now, you're completely correct.

We're now about to build a side around the highest draft picks in the club's history. If the club can nail the selections in the next couple of years and get its sh*t together we could potentially be challenging again in 2025/2026.

We've lost talent at a league leading rate when we've been going ok. I see an ongoing rebuild for numerous years. And in 10 years we'll still have Fagan and Roo and different board members will just be like minded numpties.

Whenever you have to preface a post with a disclaimer, there is a 100% chance you are guilty of whatever you are trying to avoid being accused of.

This should have been a 15 month ban.

Back