Roast How diabolical is our midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

The failure of the club to prioritise getting at least one rolled gold midfield prospect out of the soon to be 6 years of no finals simply boggles the mind.

And now we're staring at pick 10s for the next 3 years with Laird, keays and Sloane controlling a huge chunk of stoppage minutes. Forward and back is good enough, but lack of speed and quality disposal in a forward direction and ability to pressure oppo from our midfield group is a severely limiting factor. We're stuck in the exact place I feared we would be and posted numerous times. Our rebuild strategy was nothing more than finding ourselves where we are, right in the convo for the bottom part of the 8. Great, it's worked so well the last 20 years.

We really need to being squeezing other options through the middle. Keays, Sloane, Laird and Dawson with cameos from Rachelle and Pedlar isn't cutting it. What can we do from within?

Of those playing yesterday?
Jones - prefer to leave him on the wing
Hinge - winger but is generally good in close
Milera - can get out of any tackle
FOG - maybe

Missing in the sanfl
Schoenberg - looking better but not grunt more a spread player
Crouch - more of the same
Hately - is he grunt? More a winger
Brown - not convinced

So in order to have "Grunt time" where Nicks can throw in combinations to wrestle back control or smash the opposition I would think the following:

Need to have Thilthorp or Strauchan rucking. In the middle have Dawson, Pedlar and FOG with Milera as an option if experiment of him in the middle works.

Sounds crazy but they need to have a switch option

We really need to being squeezing other options through the middle. Keays, Sloane, Laird and Dawson with cameos from Rachelle and Pedlar isn't cutting it. What can we do from within?

Of those playing yesterday?
Jones - prefer to leave him on the wing
Hinge - winger but is generally good in close
Milera - can get out of any tackle
FOG - maybe

Missing in the sanfl
Schoenberg - looking better but not grunt more a spread player
Crouch - more of the same
Hately - is he grunt? More a winger
Brown - not convinced

So in order to have "Grunt time" where Nicks can throw in combinations to wrestle back control or smash the opposition I would think the following:

Need to have Thilthorp or Strauchan rucking. In the middle have Dawson, Pedlar and FOG with Milera as an option if experiment of him in the middle works.

Sounds crazy but they need to have a switch option
You forgot Berry . Needs to come back and stay in

y
I wonder if our clubs do a mutual beneficial trade for Tom Powell. I rate Tommy but he is not getting midfield minutes in his preferred position. Our midfield is/will be stacked and our cupboard is bare for KP players.

You guys have any surplus KP players under 26 years ?

We don't need anymore he "may" become an A-grader. We need to do whatever it takes to recruit a player who IS an A-grader. We definitely need to steer clear of players who are burning it in the state leagues but can't get a guernsey at the top level.

Last edited:
yes, that is the exact rebuild strategy that we deployed. It's my worst nightmare, sneaking into or just missing the 8 with Sloane, Laird and Keays 3 of our 4 key stoppage mids. Rebuild was completed long ago, our entire focus has been on selecting to be in the convo for the 8 for 3 seasons.
Long ago? Rachele and Soligo were only drafted 2 years ago and we had them in the midfield at the start of the season instead of Sloane and Keays.

y

We don't need anymore he "maybe" come an A-grader. We need to do whatever it takes to recruit a player who IS an A-grader. We definitely need to steer clear of players who are burning it in the state leagues but can't get a guernsey at the top level.
You said draft "genuine" A grade midfielders who will probably be more "maybe" than Rachele, Pedlar or Soligo and take longer to develop so give them time. We aren't even close to being finals ready let alone premiership contenders and we've just recently an "accidental" A grade midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake Laird is still our best stoppage player. He is an A grader. He's clearly been carrying something and when he goes missing, we fall apart. He'll be 30 next year though, he wont keep this up for much longer.

We're not getting top 5 picks anymore, and this years draft is full for defenders and forwards at the top end. Hindsight now but we were better off trying to trade our future first for Rankine and take a mid this draft (Humphrey/Phillipou).

Shoenberg is in the discard pile but Soligo and Berry are still very young and have shown enough to suggest they can become good future pieces, need to back them in. Stop playing Keays and and Sloane in there and back the kids as see what they can do.

Last edited:
Make no mistake Laird is still our best stoppage player. He is an A grader. He's clearly been carrying something and when he goes missing, we fall apart. He'll be 30 next year though, he wont keep this up for much longer.

We're not getting top 5 picks anymore, and this years draft is full for defenders and forwards at the top end. Hindsight now but we were better off trying to trade our future first for Rankine and take a mid this draft (Humphrey/Phillipou).

Shoenberg is in the discard pile but Soligo and Berry are still very young and have shown enough to suggest they can become good future pieces, need to back them in. Stop playing Keays and and Sloane in their and back the kids as see what they can do.
Hope we are targetting Phillipou who is still out of contract end of next year.

You forgot Berry . Needs to come back and stay in
I wish he could get back, his disposal is still the problem, his grunt is important

But overall the concern is Nicks reverting to Laird, Sloane and Keays. He needs to stop doing that, back in Dawson, Rachelle, Soligo and others with Keays and Sloane rotating at HF

I wish he could get back, his disposal is still the problem, his grunt is important

But overall the concern is Nicks reverting to Laird, Sloane and Keays. He needs to stop doing that, back in Dawson, Rachelle, Soligo and others with Keays and Sloane rotating at HF
Agreed. I just don’t understand how berry can fall so badly when he was so good last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back