Roast How diabolical is our midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

I get where you are coming from but we are robbing our forward line structure to put these players into the midfield when they are better forwards. We need genuine mids.
But you implied they can't play midfield when there's clear evidence they can, we need quality players around the ball and they can also rest up forward. Rachele kicked 10.10 doing this and Rankine kicked 2 goals last week doing this.

Well, he started Rankine in there last week and Rachele for 7 weeks last year.

View attachment 1937607

What would you prefer, rankine getting the ball 100m from goal as a mid or kicking a roving goal from deep in the pocket which he is one of the leagues best? Same with Rachele? great in the forward line? like what do you want? want scores or do you want midfield time? So you want to convert them to prime mids then what? they kick it long to an old tex with murphy at his feet. like come on.

What would you prefer, rankine getting the ball 100m from goal as a mid or kicking a roving goal from deep in the pocket which he is one of the leagues best? Same with Rachele? great in the forward line? like what do you want? want scores or do you want midfield time? So you want to convert them to prime mids then what? they kick it long to an old tex with murphy at his feet. like come on.
I'm not sure your point is but I'm expecting both Walker and Murphy not to be there when we are contending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

elite get 30 disposals a game, every game with genuine x factor. They are not it. Butters is elite and so is JHF and each of them are far better than Rankine and Rachele put together.
I would take 20-25 disposals and 2 goals from a midfielder then 30 disposals any day and you clearly haven't watch Rankine and Rachele field kicking when they played in the midfield. Given your judgement of those other team's midfield, this really isn't a surprise.

Soligo and Rankine (and to a lesser extent Rachele) obviously need to get a lot more time through there

Laird needs to be the partial casualty, need to experiment and see where he can be effective elsewhere around the ground

Whether all this happens is another story

I still think Crouch,Laird,Dawson is the best midfield combo. But it starting to seem extremely brittle if Dawson is underperforming/underdamaging. If the club considers moving Dawson to a different role, I think one of Crouch or Laird would have to go too.

If we end up with Welsh and Petty this offseason
Gives us ;
Welsh
Petty
Thilthorpe
Fog
Tex (maybe 1 more year)

Going forward move Fogarty to the midfield, wasn’t this what he was drafted as

He’s got plenty of attributes that can be useful thete

Dawson - silk
Rankine - X factor
Fog - inside bull with a booming kick

Worth a go

One of laird and Crouch in the middle.
Dawson Rachele Pedlar Rankine rotate the other two spots.
One of

For mine it's the roles set for the mids.

Crouch should play the centreman role ie defend the stoppage and receive & distribute from defense transition.
Laird - gut run rover contest to contest, chase and tackle pressure turnover.
Dawson - give him the pill into space and get out of his way.

Become predictable to your team mates and do it better than anyone else can.

Seems to me as we try to be fluid with positioning. The skill set of our mids isn't good enough to pull that s**t off and never will be.

Laird would be a pretty bad half-back these days I think. They have moved him out of the middle a bit so far this year - round 1 was the first time Laird attended less than two thirds of CBAs in a completed game since 2020. But I don't see any other role he's going to be effective in.

He's being comprehensively outplayed by Crouch so it does create a selection problem if the feeling is they are too similar, and I think the club does feel that way as indicated by fewer CBAs in round 1.

I think the selectors are more likely to be thrilled than worried that they're similar. We've never assessed beyond stats when it comes to our midfield. It's stacked.

Soligo and Rankine (and to a lesser extent Rachele) obviously need to get a lot more time through there

Laird needs to be the partial casualty, need to experiment and see where he can be effective elsewhere around the ground

Whether all this happens is another story
In the first two games, the only players I’ve seen streak out of a centre bounce with the ball for us are Soligo and Rankine. Yet they are both getting minimal time in there.

Imo Soligo needs to be a full time mid. His inside/outside game is second to none in our team. He has so much composure and his disposals are effective and creative. Has a bit of Lachie Neale about him but we need him to be getting CBAs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back