Roast How diabolical is our midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I would have used Hinge, but if they didn't want to move him from defence, Burgess was the obvious choice... but our coaches were clueless after ruining Pedlar's mindset to just let Stewart run loose.

What a great result of coaching nouse after getting a 2 year extension.

Seriously we have dumb *s in the coaching box.
+ we play a high forward who is no value

Personally I would have used Hinge, but if they didn't want to move him from defence, Burgess was the obvious choice... but our coaches were clueless after ruining Pedlar's mindset to just let Stewart run loose.

What a great result of coaching nouse after getting a 2 year extension.

Seriously we have dumb *s in the coaching box.

Ben Keays was the obvious choice if we didn't want to move someone from elsewhere. Why we used the shorter and less defensive Pedlar on him is beyond me

Ben Keays was the obvious choice if we didn't want to move someone from elsewhere. Why we used the shorter and less defensive Pedlar on him is beyond me
It's almost like we wanted to maximise Stewart's marking ability.

I really worry about the IQ of our coaching box as this was such a stupid match up.

Scott would have been pissing himself laughing!

When does the penny drop?

How long before they realise that
A) This mix doesnt work and never will.
B) This mix isnt young.
C) Time is ticking and your window for experimentation is just about shut on this playing group, whilst you havent tried a God damn thing(Oh that Berry inclusion was a thing I know).
D) You now have to fast track any hint of potential midfielder on our list and throw them in the deep end regardless of result this season and next. Essentially a mini-rebuild within a rebuild is required if theres any chance of future success.

3 years Is my guess.5 years too late.

CBAs from afl
Berry - 7
Soligo - 5
Rankine - 2
Rachele - 1

Crouch - 23
Laird - 21
Dawson - 24

Another great development time for our young mids

Year 5 of our rebuild and that's how we've started the aeason.

Staggering there are people who think Nicks knows what he's doing.

How much more evidence do you need?

Year 5 of our rebuild and that's how we've started the aeason.

Staggering there are people who think Nicks knows what he's doing.

How much more evidence do you need?
It really doesnt look good at all.

Not sure how that gets you a 2 yr extension

This might be dumb, but with Tilthorpe on the list and Welsh waiting in the wings...

Should we try Fogarty as a midfielder?

He's not doing much forward, maybe we can roll him into the middle ala Jake Stringer or De Goey and he can have an impact there...

This might be dumb, but with Tilthorpe on the list and Welsh waiting in the wings...

He's not doing much forward, maybe we can roll him into the middle ala Jake Stringer or De Goey and he can have an impact there...
I have no issue with it, but they are lining up so get ready, just centre ball ups thou

Last edited:

I don’t think it’s a great idea, he’ll never be a midfielder imo and we already mucked him around early in his career with the midfield idea.

All midfield rotations sound great but Nick's needs to be prepared to actually do it. Rachelle, Rankine, Pedlar, Soligo and even Jones, Hinge and Fogarty could roll through there. But Nick's needs to be prepared to do more than 3 times out of 40, the other 37 times typically being Dawson, Laird and Crouch.

I actually think throwing Fog in there when he isn't getting into the game would be good, circuit breaker.

Blight said giving midfielders short bursts in the middle doesn’t work. They need to develop and learn their craft by playing more in there. Makes sense.

If that’s the case we need to decide which of these forwards we turn into the mid. I think Rachelle is more ready to go than anyone.

Last edited:
Blight said giving midfielders should bursts in the middle doesn’t work. They need to develop and learn their craft by playing more in there. Makes sense.

If that’s the case we need to decide which of these forwards we turn into the mid. I think Rachelle is more ready to go than anyone.

Agree but this is the problem though... We are the absolute Kings of drafting 'Hybrid' players..... We have this stupid obsession of wanting players to be able to play multiple positions. Which often just confuses the sh*t out of them and leads to them losing confidence... Pedlar, Macasey, Jones, Fogarty to an extent, Hinge, Keays, McHenry.... some examples.

Surely we just develop pure position players where they are best suited. Otherwise our team is a jack of all trades, master of none which it really is looking like at the moment...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree but this is the problem though... We are the absolute Kings of drafting 'Hybrid' players..... We have this stupid obsession of wanting players to be able to play multiple positions. Which often just confuses the sh*t out of them and leads to them losing confidence... Pedlar, Macasey, Jones, Fogarty to an extent, Hinge, Keays, McHenry.... some examples.

Surely we just develop pure position players where they are best suited. Otherwise our team is a jack of all trades, master of none which it really is looking like at the moment...
You don't want them to be too rigid on position otherwise you have guys like Laird and Crouch both playing when really there's only one spot in the team for them

You don't want them to be too rigid on position otherwise you have guys like Laird and Crouch both playing when really there's only one spot in the team for them
That’s just their make up though, the blokes we are rotating have the skill set to also play forward. But if we are trying to develop midfielders we seem to be half pregnant at the moment

It's going to be interesting to see what the set up is this week in the midfield.
You can bet your bottom dollar that Berry will be the casualty from last week.
Dump the young guy after two games when the team performs poorly
Smith & Murphy keep the leadership gold pass

Blight said giving midfielders short bursts in the middle doesn’t work. They need to develop and learn their craft by playing more in there. Makes sense.

Rankine posts the big km covered numbers.

I've brought this up on here before but Rozee and Butters for example definitely developed into good midfielders by starting with short bursts in the middle. Each year from 2020 to 2023 Rozee attended 19%, 12%, 50% and 69% of CBAs, and Butters was 3%, 21%, 38%, 62%, with both of them being more or less full-time mids from the start of last year. Butters did have some injury issues, but then so did Rachele.

Rachele so far in his career was 6% in 2022 and 23% in 2023, so on a similar trajectory you'd expect him to be looking at increased minutes in the middle this year and full-time from next year. My view is the intent has always been that he will eventually be a full-time midfielder, though obviously I can't prove that.

I don't think the only way to do it is to throw a player in the middle all the time from the start, especially when they also have obvious talents in other parts of the field as Rachele and Pedlar both do for example. Someone like Berry would be more of a full-time mid from the start candidate given he's a bigger body and I don't think is particularly well suited to other roles.

Watching Freos midfield, it’s another elite midfield as their recruiters have a brain. Plus it’s a young one.

In the competition where does our midfield rank in terms of current talent and also with the future in mind?

Honestly is ranked bottom in both categories? Given we’ve gone through a 5 year rebuild that’s so depressing. Ogilvie, Reid and Nicks are *******s.

Watching Freos midfield, it’s another elite midfield as their recruiters have a brain. Plus it’s a young one.

In the competition where does our midfield rank in terms of current talent and also with the future in mind?

Honestly is ranked bottom in both categories? Given we’ve gone through a 5 year rebuild that’s so depressing. Ogilvie, Reid and Nicks are *******s.
We choose grunt over skills, pure and simple

Remove this Banner Ad

Back