How did Alastair Lynch played in '93? Where he was named FB on the AA team and kicked 68 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

professor_koi

Draftee
Apr 12, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Hello ex Fitzroy supporters. I am new to this site and I've been curious about this for a while. How did Lynch played in '93? Where he was named in the AA team as a fullback and also kicking 68 goals in 20 home and away games. I've asked this question to the middle aged afl supporters and they don't remember how he played that season. It would be a pleasure if anyone would reply to me with an answer.

Hello ex Fitzroy supporters. I am new to this site and I've been curious about this for a while. How did Lynch played in '93? Where he was named in the AA team as a fullback and also kicking 68 goals in 20 home and away games. I've asked this question to the middle aged afl supporters and they don't remember how he played that season. It would be a pleasure if anyone would reply to me with an answer.

It was a great year by Lynch, as good an individual season as I remember. My memory is that he had played mainly at FB in 91/92 and the first part of 93 before being swung forward for the last 1/2 or 2/3 of 93. Good team in 93 the Roys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most importantly Professor, there is nothing ex about Fitzroy supporters.

In regards to your question by the end of 1993 Lynch was in the top handful of players in the league. Once it was apparent the backline was stable enough Lynch spent considerable time forward. His departure at the end of the season was a body blow to the club.

Lynch also often started forward, kicked a few goals, then moved back onto the opposition's best forward to protect the lead he'd set up.

His impact on his team's results in 1993 was more important than any other player I've ever seen over the course of a season. Players are often labelled matchwinners, but they don't actually make the difference between their team winning & losing matches. Lynch's performance did actually win Fitzroy about half a dozen games that season. That might not sound a lot, but who else has done it? I use Gary Ablett Junior as an example. He played well for Geelong & they won lots of matches, but there were plenty of other players playing well in that same team. He probably wasn't the difference that made them win. He played even better for Gold Coast, but he wouldn't have changed the match result more than an average once per season. He may have been the best player in the League for several seasons, but Lynch's impact in 1993 was bigger.

Lynch also often started forward, kicked a few goals, then moved back onto the opposition's best forward to protect the lead he'd set up.

His impact on his team's results in 1993 was more important than any other player I've ever seen over the course of a season. Players are often labelled matchwinners, but they don't actually make the difference between their team winning & losing matches. Lynch's performance did actually win Fitzroy about half a dozen games that season. That might not sound a lot, but who else has done it? I use Gary Ablett Junior as an example. He played well for Geelong & they won lots of matches, but there were plenty of other players playing well in that same team. He probably wasn't the difference that made them win. He played even better for Gold Coast, but he wouldn't have changed the match result more than an average once per season. He may have been the best player in the League for several seasons, but Lynch's impact in 1993 was bigger.

Would have been a great team if they had been able to stay together. 93 was such an even season and all things being equal, with the list we had, we would have been pretty strong over the coming years.

Would have been a great team if they had been able to stay together. 93 was such an even season and all things being equal, with the list we had, we would have been pretty strong over the coming years.

Brilliant footballer.......Robert Shaw was gutted when he left.....was the beginning of the end for Fitzroy. Could play any position,and was never beaten.

There were only 20 matches per team in the 1993 Home & Away season. Fitzroy finished 11th with 10 wins. That gives even more weight to the influence Lynch had that he was a matchwinner in around half our wins.

Essendon finished 1st that year with 13 wins & a draw. St Kilda finished 12th with 10 wins. There were only 3 uncompetitive teams that season - Richmond, Brisbane & Sydney. At the end of the season, the AFL gave priority picks to those 3 bottom teams & they all plundered Fitzroy's list. Losing Lynch was a huge body blow for the Roys.

Lynch started as a skinny HFF who loved to jump for big marks he was never going to take. While his aerial gymnastics lagged, his goalface pressure forged on remarkably to the point where the moment he transmogrified from a feeder/foil to a forward target is kind of blurry.
He was growing faster than the TSA of his fans ... and then suddenly his accuracy at goal went to utter s**t.
This prompted the powers-that-be to Silvagni him, where he took on some big names (the windmill pantomime tour with Lockett stands out in my recall ... weeeeeeeeeeeee).
His wasn't the only player rebranding during Fitzroy's Extreme Makeover period ... we saw such massive paradoxes as Paxman playing ruck and fans playing people who thought their team might win.
Akin to those coin distribution machines, or the games where you drop marbles down a maze and they fall into holes and ... go ... down .. yeah, those ... Lynch rolled back down to the major focal region of Full Forward where his season in 1993 was bordering on magical.
Then everybody died and the rain fell and the dinosaurs attacked from outer space and now shut up.

He and Carey dueled it out in 93 and I thought Lynch more than held his own. He was unstoppable - big bags of goals and super athletic. And then he was gone. And then Roos. And then Western Oval. And then .. they got their way.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back