How did the AFL get the Giants so right?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Even though my team is against them this weekend, even I was overwhelmed by how emotional the scenes were after the Collingwood match for them. One for the ages, no doubt.

But how did the AFL get this team so right?

The theme song, team colours and logo are killer.

The drafted and retained players really well, but I can’t really figure it out? How have the Giants been so successful whilst GC are complete and utter trash?

Even though my team is against them this weekend, even I was overwhelmed by how emotional the scenes were after the Collingwood match for them. One for the ages, no doubt.

But how did the AFL get this team so right?

The theme song, team colours and logo are killer.

The drafted and retained players really well, but I can’t really figure it out? How have the Giants been so successful whilst GC are complete and utter trash?

They looked to Richmond for inspiration.

Given the AFL's previous form, I'm going for colossal accident. As for Gold Coast, there are hardly enough Aussie football supporters in Qld to support one team. Prior to some success this season, Brisbane had huge difficulties in attracting crowds of 20 K. Most of those who do arrive at games these days are on Zimmer frames, if at all. At least Sydney has a larger population base from which to operate. I don't think Sheedy's promotional skills initially can be underestimated.

In the early days of Brisbane Bears, there was a joke going around that a punter rang their offices on a Friday afternoon to enquire about the starting time of Sunday's game. The caller was asked, "What time can you get there?"

As we all know, the real purpose has always been to have enough product to feed the TV monster. The game will be truly rogered when the AFL works out that FTA networks are essentially broke. However, I'm expecting a very healthy attitude of generosity from Rupert Murdoch during any negotiations. He is justly famous for his philanthropy in such matters.

Last edited:

They got it right with culture. Still on their first coach. GC were rogered from day 1. Signing up Campbell Brown gives you an idea of their version of leadership. Signing up Gary Ablett was a mistake. Was paid millions to be just a player. They needed leadership. On to their third coach also.

Sheedy got them setup for success. Basically copy and pasted the strategy from Essendon. You still get a bit of an old Essendon vibe about them. Bigger market obviously. Better recruiting strategy - went for youth and didn’t go for the marquee player. Bit more luck.

They got it right with culture. Still on their first coach. GC were rogered from day 1. Signing up Campbell Brown gives you an idea of their version of leadership. Signing up Gary Ablett was a mistake. Was paid millions to be just a player. They needed leadership. On to their third coach also.

not sure how Campbell brown managed to get such a good reputation and still has relatively low pressure on him in spite of his team losing 17 games a row and only winning 7 in the past 2 years.

Spot on & the management has been settled. I'm critical of how the AFL installed one of the Aulds as CEO on the Gold Coast then pulled him out* leaving a toxic culture, booted Bluey - its settled now, lets hope they give it a decent go.

* promoted him, accountability AFL style

On GWS, whats is Dylan Sheil thinking? How good must Steve Coniglio feel over resigning with the Giants. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right people in the right places. Having a big name AFL media identity and one of the games most experienced and successful coach was a start.
View attachment 753458
The Sydney media loves a quotable quote. On a slow news day Sheedy was always available to fill the spaces between ads, be it print or electronic.

Sheedy got them setup for success. Basically copy and pasted the strategy from Essendon. You still get a bit of an old Essendon vibe about them. Bigger market obviously. Better recruiting strategy - went for youth and didn’t go for the marquee player. Bit more luck.

Yeah, nah. I dont see the similarity at all. What exactly is the Essendon strategy?

On GWS, whats is Dylan Sheil thinking? How good must Steve Coniglio feel over resigning with the Giants. :thumbsu:

Feel for Shiel, quality person, deserves to be playing Saturday. Treloar, Scully and Devon Smith can * right off, try to stick the boots into the club ever since they left.

Sheedy, Lambert et al- good people who have proven track record of creating positive and winning culture.
picked the best available leaders- power, cornes, brogan, etc
chose good team men over individual talent.

Giving them dozens of great picks, and allowing payments to be made outside of the cap in order to retain key players will make any team a success.

The question is why haven't they already won at least one flag with the talent they've had at their disposal? They easily have the most talented list.
You of all people should know it doesn’t just happen with talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back