Oppo Camp How did the Demons knock off Adelaide?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mogwai

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2012
The Capitol
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Central Coast Mariners
Possibly one of the most eye-catching results this season, I remember the Demons were thoroughly incredible against the Crows at Adelaide. Something went right, I'm not entirely sure what it was, but our experience at AO like many others was quite unpleasant and I'm desperate to know.

Could the gracious MFC board please enlighten me (and engage in some happy reminiscing, with vindication and pride of course) on what happened that night to keep them to 60~ points while scoring 100 yourselves?

Possibly one of the most eye-catching results this season, I remember the Demons were thoroughly incredible against the Crows at Adelaide. Something went right, I'm not entirely sure what it was, but our experience at AO like many others was quite unpleasant and I'm desperate to know.

Could the gracious MFC board please enlighten me (and engage in some happy reminiscing, with vindication and pride of course) on what happened that night to keep them to 60~ points while scoring 100 yourselves?

Firstly I think the Crows took a lot out of that game and have improved a lot in the middle since, but since you asked nicely I'll break it down.

Adelaide oval

Unlike its predecessor in AAMI stadium, Adelaide Oval is a ground we play well on with confidence. Our record there is as follows:
2011 vs Port - Loss, we were s**t
2014 vs Crows - Epic win under Roos
2014 vs Port - Unlucky to just go down by under a goal against a pretty good Port side
2015 vs Crows - Honourable loss in the wet
2016 vs Port - 7 goal win vs a pretty bad Port
2017 vs Crows - game in question

Midfield dominance - have a look at these stats:
2490ccdd0ce59a85016ed219488d66cb.png

Petraccas numbers in particular are excellent and reflect what I saw as a best on ground performance, almost Dusty-esque ;)

Immense tackling pressure - We won the disposal count +41 and tackles +18, was by far our best pressure game of the year. The 3rd quarter in particular Adelaide were struggling to even get past halfway. We only ended up winning the inside 50 count by +4 but that evened up late in the game when the sting was gone.

Spread of goalkickers - Pedersen got 3 then we had 5 guys all chip in with 2, they struggled with their defensive matchups against us. Tom McDonalds athleticism meant the only immobile guy we had up forward was Weideman who didn't kick a goal but laid 5 tackles and was just expected to make a contest all night.

Hard to say we dominated their forwards because they were looking scary early when they got a bit of supply, but we basically made them irrelevant by playing the whole game in our half after 1/4 time. I think the Tigers pressure is better than ours and you've got more star power to combat them, but don't underestimate how much their midfield has improved. I give you guys a pretty good chance on Saturday as you've been dominant on the MCG this year and have multiple matchwinners, but if you don't bring that manic pressure their ball movement will rip you apart.

Further to what Schmuttt provided - we also played a heavy tag (Vince) on Rory Sloane so he barely touched it.

Vince also took out an umpire if I remember accurately, but that might not be essential to success.

Schmuttt is spot on, massive pressure around the ground and beating them comprehensively on the inside in the midfield set it up.

Also agree with PG that the Sloane tag had a fair impact, their midfield was very reliant on Sloane in the first half of the season, but I think the Crouch brothers have gone up a gear since then.

Vince also took out an umpire if I remember accurately, but that might not be essential to success.

The emergency umpire did his hamstring too so there was only two umps on the ground. It definitely helped. The two umpires couldn't cover the ground as well it meant they put the whistle away a bit which helps in a hostile environment.

Pressure pressure pressure. Take their strength away - use of the uncontested ball. Like any good side they cut you up from half back and when you turn it over. Hit hard, tackle hard, do all the things that don't make an AFL highlights reel. Run hard both ways, more so defensively.

I can't see this being a problem for Richmond unless they run out of petrol tickets. Deny them possession as much as possible, so your uncontested game will need to be spot on. I wouldn't worry about tagging Sloane, its reactive. Make them worry about you.

We were down by 6 goals early in the 2nd.

So they key is to spud up completely for 40 minutes and lull them into a sense of false security then pounce while they drift into a semi coma.

Firstly I think the Crows took a lot out of that game and have improved a lot in the middle since, but since you asked nicely I'll break it down.

Adelaide oval

Unlike its predecessor in AAMI stadium, Adelaide Oval is a ground we play well on with confidence. Our record there is as follows:
2011 vs Port - Loss, we were s**t
2014 vs Crows - Epic win under Roos
2014 vs Port - Unlucky to just go down by under a goal against a pretty good Port side
2015 vs Crows - Honourable loss in the wet
2016 vs Port - 7 goal win vs a pretty bad Port
2017 vs Crows - game in question

Midfield dominance - have a look at these stats:
2490ccdd0ce59a85016ed219488d66cb.png

Petraccas numbers in particular are excellent and reflect what I saw as a best on ground performance, almost Dusty-esque ;)

Immense tackling pressure - We won the disposal count +41 and tackles +18, was by far our best pressure game of the year. The 3rd quarter in particular Adelaide were struggling to even get past halfway. We only ended up winning the inside 50 count by +4 but that evened up late in the game when the sting was gone.

Spread of goalkickers - Pedersen got 3 then we had 5 guys all chip in with 2, they struggled with their defensive matchups against us. Tom McDonalds athleticism meant the only immobile guy we had up forward was Weideman who didn't kick a goal but laid 5 tackles and was just expected to make a contest all night.

Hard to say we dominated their forwards because they were looking scary early when they got a bit of supply, but we basically made them irrelevant by playing the whole game in our half after 1/4 time. I think the Tigers pressure is better than ours and you've got more star power to combat them, but don't underestimate how much their midfield has improved. I give you guys a pretty good chance on Saturday as you've been dominant on the MCG this year and have multiple matchwinners, but if you don't bring that manic pressure their ball movement will rip you apart.

We also used Sam Frost spare behind the footy in the back of a diamond zone and ment when Adelaide looked up to move it forward they couldn't use Walker through the corridor. I think Rance needs to always be 40m from the play in a central location to stop the crows using Walker and Lynch as outlet kicks. They are so rigid with their structure (look how bad they were in Perth without Tex) that if you can upset it they lose a lot.
The other one was Tmac playing a blinder. He basically played as a defender forward and made sure he brought the ball to ground every single time.

So let the crows out number you in the midfield and set up behind the footy with 2 or 3 zone players because they are always looking to kick it forward. They don't like handballing and going back wards.
I'd also play Dusty 50% forward. Goals are extremely hard to come by in GFs and a bloke who can kick 2 or 3 from nothing is insanely valuable.

The 2011 game we were totally raped by the umps who wanted to make sure Port won the first game there. Pretty sure a similar thing happened against them in 2014.

Hope all this advice helps you on Saturday Damien.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were down by 6 goals early in the 2nd.

So they key is to spud up completely for 40 minutes and lull them into a sense of false security then pounce while they drift into a semi coma.

*shudders at Richmond 71-80 Sydney*

As others have said;

Pressure and tackling all over the ground which denied them easy and clean possessions

Frost 70m from the ball playing as a "goal keeper"

We out kicked them and possessed the ball.

For mine this is the biggest key for the tigers, there game plan has been based very successfully around pressure particularly in the forward line. There kicking can let them down but the pressure makes up for it. Kick the ball well and maintain possession and you will go well onto winning the game.

The game we knocked off the crows was easily our best all round effort of the year.

The 2011 game we were totally raped by the umps who wanted to make sure Port won the first game there. Pretty sure a similar thing happened against them in 2014.
Not really, we put a very weak lineup heading into that game. I remember even Dennis Cometti saying on the Telecast "I've been talking about Melbourne all week to win this one, but having looked at the teams today i doubt they can"

And as average as Port where that year, they where always gonna give 100% for that game in front of a good crowd

Going to need a very well rounded team performance.

Guys like Caddy, Lambert, Townsend, Edwards etc. all of your B graders are going to have to apply help soft pressure.

Ideally you'd also keep the ball as far from Castagna's hands as possible...

Nah but seriously you've got a chance. If you look at the 2016 Dogs their strength was midfield depth and pressure all over the ground. If those aforementioned B graders can all get 4-5 tackles you've got a chance.
For a top team Adelaide's midfield is relatively subpar even though it's improved a lot, but you really can't fear guys like Matt Crouch, Douglas, Greenwood and just need to head in confident and stick it right to them.

Adelaide can forget about their awesome counterattacking with Jenkins and Lynch running full pelt back into the forward fifty with Laird, Atkins and Walker setting them up if you guys just control the midfield battle.

In the return fixture we simply didn't apply enough pressure up forward, Hogan was always isolated and simply put we looked cooked. The defenders were shocking, our midfield probably broke even but that's not good enough against the crows. Need the midfield to win + elite forward pressure to beat this team.

Looks like you listened ;)

Well done

Copped a like, and went through the thread again.

Sloane tag was a repeated point. Graham going to him in the 2nd half and limited him to five touches - made Sloane worry too with 3 goals.
Contested ball - again a fundament in the win. Pressure, pressure, pressure.
Hibberd = Houli. Instrumental in playmaking from the back. Their mid forwards produce subpar defensive pressure to HBs.

Surely if the Dees can do it consistently they'd be up there like us.

Copped a like, and went through the thread again.

Sloane tag was a repeated point. Graham going to him in the 2nd half and limited him to five touches - made Sloane worry too with 3 goals.
Contested ball - again a fundament in the win. Pressure, pressure, pressure.
Hibberd = Houli. Instrumental in playmaking from the back. Their mid forwards produce subpar defensive pressure to HBs.

Surely if the Dees can do it consistently they'd be up there like us.

Consistently is the key word there :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back