How did the West Indies develop such a dominant team?

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the deal with Archer?

The kid is a serious talent but is trying to qualify for England. According to his CricInfo biography he was essentially poached from the nets in Barbados. IMHO, that's a pretty sad statement about West Indian cricket. Archer could be playing Test cricket for the West Indies right now, but would rather wait until 2022 and play for England.
They probably offered him uk citizenship. Has happened with athletes from poorer countries in olympic sports

They probably offered him uk citizenship. Has happened with athletes from poorer countries in olympic sports

He's half-British so he's already eligible for citizenship.

It's a bit different with Olympic sports, because there is typically not a lot of money in them unless you live in a wealthy country. But in Archer's case, he can easily make a mint playing T20 cricket while maintaining his West Indian eligibility, and playing Test cricket for them.

Trying to qualify for England is a risk, because he could get injured, lose form or whatever... and end up not playing a single Test for them. Whereas he could be playing for the Windies right now.

IMHO, it's a big statement about the ability of West Indies cricket to develop and retain talent.

As an unproven but talented young cricketer, the lure of a secure, longish term county deal is very appealing and a pretty sensible move for your development.

I thought Gordon Greenidge was brought up on County Cricket but played for West Indies.

Gordon Greenidge was an overseas import. Archer is playing through his fathers passport and his contract was conditional for pledging allegiance to England.

Steve Smith was offered the same but declined.

Gordon Greenidge was an overseas import. Archer is playing through his fathers passport and his contract was conditional for pledging allegiance to England.

Steve Smith was offered the same but declined.
Greenidge played county cricket before he played in West Indies domestic (moved to England when he was 12). If I'm remembering Fire in Babylon correctly he hated his time in England due to racism he experienced, which was the main reason he decided to play for the Windies instead of pursuing an English career.

Greenidge played county cricket before he played in West Indies domestic (moved to England when he was 12). If I'm remembering Fire in Babylon correctly he hated his time in England due to racism he experienced, which was the main reason he decided to play for the Windies instead of pursuing an English career.
It is easy to forget what a great player Greenidge was - genuinely brutal when going. I have a uk mate who played at Hampshire who reckons watching Barry Richards & Greenidge was the best opening combination of all time.

It is easy to forget what a great player Greenidge was - genuinely brutal when going. I have a uk mate who played at Hampshire who reckons watching Barry Richards & Greenidge was the best opening combination of all time.

I wish I had been old enough to watch greenidge and Haynes at their peak. The only time I watched greenidge was sneaking out of bed as a 7 year old in 1991, and I watched Haynes playing in the 92-93 tour as a moderately capable but past it opener.

From what I’ve read there is a lot of yin yang about them. All the numbers support Gordon as being the superior player and the dominant, driving force, but a lot of people who watched a hell of a lot of west indies cricket reckon Haynes was the Steve to Gordon’s Mark (averages aside) if that makes sense. Haynes had a tremendous ability to make dirty runs when they really mattered.

All that said, to play some of the big knocks Greenidge did - particularly his double tonne chasing 300+ in England - he was obviously absolutely elite

Mark Nicholas had an excellent part about Gordon Greenidge is his book. Exceptional player and complicated person according to him.

Merv Hughes said Gordon Greenidge was one of the opponents he just did not get along with. He was told by his skipper to go and apologise to Greenidge after an on field altercation one day.

He took a beer into the WI changerooms and said "Sorry Gordon"
Greenidge replied "You don't mean that do you ?"
"No" and walked out.
(Something like that)

Since retirement, they have worked together at lots of functions or media commitments and get on really well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merv Hughes said Gordon Greenidge was one of the opponents he just did not get along with. He was told by his skipper to go and apologise to Greenidge after an on field altercation one day.

He took a beer into the WI changerooms and said "Sorry Gordon"
Greenidge replied "You don't mean that do you ?"
"No" and walked out.
(Something like that)

Since retirement, they have worked together at lots of functions or media commitments and get on really well.
Once Australia started to become competitive again against the West Indies some of those series got really firey. Those series, home and away from 88 to 95 are still some of the hardest cricket I've ever seen.

Once Australia started to become competitive again against the West Indies some of those series got really firey. Those series, home and away from 88 to 95 are still some of the hardest cricket I've ever seen.
1991 was off the charts firey. More s**t went down that series than ever I seen, including the recent South Africa one, just the RSA had a couple of incidents where a few dickheads like Warner, de Kock and Rabada sent it out of control, totally. If Warner not there, that s**t not happen.

1991 was off the charts firey. More s**t went down that series than ever I seen, including the recent South Africa one, just the RSA had a couple of incidents where a few dickheads like Warner, de Kock and Rabada sent it out of control, totally. If Warner not there, that s**t not happen.
Bobby Simpson is not our cup of tea.
That was the Calypso Capers tour as well.

Two memories of 91 I have

- the infamous Dean Jones run out
- Richardson scoring a hundred, fans rush th pitch to congratulate him, many of them shoving cash into his gloves and pockets.

The Hughes Greenidge blow up occurred in that Perth test when Lawson got felled and Hughes took his hat trick with Greenidge his third victim.

Two memories of 91 I have

- the infamous Dean Jones run out
- Richardson scoring a hundred, fans rush th pitch to congratulate him, many of them shoving cash into his gloves and pockets.

The Hughes Greenidge blow up occurred in that Perth test when Lawson got felled and Hughes took his hat trick with Greenidge his third victim.

I remember from those days the incredible batting of Richardson and Mark Waugh. There was some other terrific performances, but those stand out to me.

I was there at the WACA when Hughes took 8 against the Windies, but don't think that is when he got a hat trick ?

I remember from those days the incredible batting of Richardson and Mark Waugh. There was some other terrific performances, but those stand out to me.

I was there at the WACA when Hughes took 8 against the Windies, but don't think that is when he got a hat trick ?
That was my first summer as a SACA member and I remember Deano getting 200 hundred and Merv seventy odd which was crowned by him dispatching Courtney Walsh over the Vic's last ball before tea. The place exploded.

That was my first summer as a SACA member and I remember Deano getting 200 hundred and Merv seventy odd which was crowned by him dispatching Courtney Walsh over the Vic's last ball before tea. The place exploded.

Hughes was such good entertainment. So was Dean Jones for that matter.

Hughes was such good entertainment. So was Dean Jones for that matter.
The first half of that series was diabolical for us although it was probably the first time Steve Waugh mad his mark on Test cricket with those 90s in Brisbane and Perth. But with hindsight and the selection of Mark Taylor you can start to see the bones of that really good Border side come together in the last two Tests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back