Remove this Banner Ad

ShockersBoy11

Senior List
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Arsenal, Scorchers
Did your parents try to bribe you or threaten to disown you?
Did you like their colours or mascot?
Did you support them because they always won?

I supported West Coast when i was 2 when my Dad made me (R.I.P Dad)
But then i saw the light, well i saw the purple

Everyone around me was a Collingwood supporter as a kidlet, and so 6-year-old me would tell people I supported them too. In reality, I had never gone out of my way to watch a game of footy. One day in around 2003 or 2004, I switched on the telly at my grandparents' house, Geelong v St Kilda was on. I fell in love with Cameron Mooney (not exactly Ablett, but still my favourite of all time) and made an effort to learn every Geelong player's name from there. Been following the Cats ever since.

There was only the one WA team to support at the time, so it was an easy choice.

Despite growing up around Fremantle and going for South Fremantle in the WAFL I resisted being a turn coat and stuck true to my team (and saved myself a lot of misery in the process).

Last edited:
Growing up in Geelong in the 60's & 70's the choice was obvious and made easier by the team featuring the likes of Polly Farmer, Billy Goggin, Denis Marshall, Bill Ryan, the Nankervis brothers and Sam Newman.

My old man was a Dutch immigrant and luckily a good neighbour invited him to a Geelong game one Saturday, My dad became hooked and encouraged me to come along as soon as I was tall enough to stand on empty beer cans and see the play....the rest was history

Well it was late 1990, I was 7 years and there was so much media about the new footy team that will be joining the comp in 91 and being a kid that young and starting to get into sports it was perfect timing.. I became fascinated with the new crows. my old man he became keen so he got memberships/season tickets for the Crows and the rest is history. Is till have newspaper articles at home when they were deciding on the nickname.. Sharks or Lakers were some other options...
My Dad was/is a Sturt fan & hated the Port Adelaide magpies so he wasn't like his brothers and other family who were port magpie fans who were offended that Port missed out in 91 so it was only natural and normal to follow the crows.

My first footy memory was the 1990 SANFL GF.. I remember it well.. Scott Hodges stuck in my mind and when he became a crows play my first number I had on the back of my first ever Crows Guernsey was number 17.. that was ripped off come round 4 in 1993 and replaced with number 6 when MODRRRAAAA!! took over the state.

What scares me is if the Crows didn't come in I might have ended up a Carlton fan cos most Sturt fans in SA followed Carlton in the VFL..
Glad the Crows came in when they did!

Last edited:
  1. Yaaablett. (Senior for uninitiated not the overrated handball happy one that's not even half as good as his old man on his best day.)
  2. Dark blue is one of my favourite colours and none of the other club guernseys ever appealed to me.
  3. Play the game as it should be played. Geelong are the Barcelona/Brazil/Argentina/Holland of Australian Football as the teams generally play and exciting, fast and mercurial brand of footy.
  4. Other Victorian clubs are indistinguishable entities based a mere couple of kilometres from the CBD that I could never identify with. Geelong on the other hand has a very strong identity clearly discernible from any other Melbourne based Victorian club.
Those are the main reasons anyway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1989 GF is the earliest game of football i can remember watching. Was 7 at the time and while i had seen my parents watch it on TV, i never really sat and watched a whole game.
My dad, ever the realist, made the decision i would not go for Richmond (as he does) and would spare his son the misery (note, this was 9/10 years out of their last flag, almost like he knew what was coming) and went out and got me a hawks jumper.
Mum would have liked me to go for collingwood, but i think i liked Platten's hair. kids.

1990 rolled round and i jumped on the bombers. Not sure why, i think it was the jumper. Like Dad's Richmond one, but better :)

And now i live next door to Windy Hill. :)

As a young man living in SA I decided to support a club with a proud 100 year old club with a history of success rather than a manufactured franchise
haha wow. I believe Port power were established in 1995 and joined the AFL in 1997. its funny how you claimed all that 1870 crap from the magpies and just stole their history...
This thread was always going to cause a crows/power fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back