How did you come to support your team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Grew up on King St in Alberton. During the pre season the players would run to the wharf and back...I would try to run along with them as far as I could. We would also go to the oval at three quarter time during home matches when they would open the gates and we would get in for free. Of course we would always go to our forward end to watch Tim Evans and co.

Dad moved to Australia and Started supporting Melbourne, not sure his reason why. When he married my mum and she moved to Australia he got the newpaper out and showed her each team and to pick a team to support. Dad said to her "You can pick any team, but not the black and white one" so she supported Melbourne too.

For me I just followed Melbourne too, Had Big names Like Yze, Neitz, Bruce, Robbo and T Johnstone. Besides I loved the colours and the song.

Grew up moving between Broken Hill and Woodville, never got into rugby though.
Same except not Woodville. Imagine my delight when the Giants turned up on my doorstep. Went to a leugue game at Lidcombe in 1978 and another triple header at the old sports ground same year. Gave up league as a joke after that.
Go the mighty Robins.
Have accepted Cummin and Tiziani as ex Kangaroos to our list. Even admire Tex from afar. Struggled with Brent Staker though, and expect you'll know why.

Had to support the team the old man supported.

As a youngster, I used to really like the Cats. So had I grown up in a non-footy family and got to choose my team, I'd probably be a Geelong supporter. To a lesser extent I liked the Bulldogs as well so there's a chance of I could have leaned towards Footscray but Geelong was far more likely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back