Universal Love How did you decide to Become a Collingwood Supporter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Queenie Hearts

Debutant
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was born in the US to expatriate Aussies. Mum’s family were mad North supporters with family who played for them. Dad had little interest being a cricket fanatic and grew up in Kew so nominally followed Hawks. When we moved back to Australia, we moved to Clifton Hill and went to the local primary school. Everyone barracked for Collingwood and they held footy clinics at the school with Collingwood players in the mid 70s and we went on excursions to Vic Park. A close family friend was a also a mad Pies supporter and so took my brothers and then later we would all go to games at Victoria Park. We kids then converted our parents and my Dad became a fanatical Collingwood supporter to this day. We also converted our cousins on both sides of the family. We go every week as an extended family unit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

magpie_marty

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
1980 was shiat as well, got flogged in the GF and a few weeks later Ali got smashed by Holmes, was on FTA television, those days are long gone.
Well 1980 I have tried my best to erase from my mind!
The 1980 loss had a huge impact on my father he sold the house and packed up the family and we moved to Queensland.:'(
Perhaps in his case 1970,1977 twice and 1979 took it's toll...

Jen2310

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Well 1980 I have tried my best to erase from my mind!
The 1980 loss had a huge impact on my father he sold the house and packed up the family and we moved to Queensland.:'(
Perhaps in his case 1970,1977 twice and 1979 took it's toll...
Good thing I wasn't born til 1983. I don't remember anything prior to 1990 lol

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Out of left field but I wouldn't mind seeing what IQ has in the centre square, big body/good reflexes and pretty fast off the mark.

Rorzza

Bam...
May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Like many others I didn't have a choice. My Grandma said you're a collingwood supporter and that was it. Third generation and my daughter is fourth generation.

I remember watching my first game, it was on TV in Alice Springs, 1980 grandfinal. I remember I was extremely disappointed.

Found out many years later my Grandma made a commitment to a cousin before he went off to war. Support CFC until he came back. He never came back AND my Grandma tried her very best to pass that commitment off onto her kids and grand kids. She was quite successful.

magpie_marty

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Like many others I didn't have a choice. My Grandma said you're a collingwood supporter and that was it. Third generation and my daughter is fourth generation.

I remember watching my first game, it was on TV in Alice Springs, 1980 grandfinal. I remember I was extremely disappointed.

Found out many years later my Grandma made a commitment to a cousin before he went off to war. Support CFC until he came back. He never came back AND my Grandma tried her very best to pass that commitment off onto her kids and grand kids. She was quite successful.
Rorzza
Such history :collingwood: you are Collingwood!

Zzorse

Rookie
Aug 2, 2017
Wisconsin USA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Had not heard of footy until February of 2013 when a friend sent a YouTube link showing what an umpire does when a goal is scored. He thought that was funny. I got curious but wasn't going to watch some fuzzy video of a football game. The AFL had released a Blu-ray disc of the 2010 Grand Final and I bought that on eBay. The first game of footy I ever watched was the 2010 draw. The 2nd game on the disc was the replay (not shot in HD!) and Collingwood won so I had my team for life. I have a yearly International Digital Insider membership.

When we lose the rest of the week sucks. When we win I can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom