Universal Love How did you decide to Become a Collingwood Supporter

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn't decide. It was dads club and I knew it would be mine.

Well, it wasnt after a game like the last.:mad:

I dont recall a conscious decision, just a family tradition of women in my family supporting Collingwood, and some of the men. Grandmother, mum and me all lived in Abbotsford at different times too. It gets into your head. Any other team is just unthinkable.

Well, it wasnt after a game like the last.:mad:

I dont recall a conscious decision, just a family tradition of women in my family supporting Collingwood, and some of the men. Grandmother, mum and me all lived in Abbotsford at different times too. It gets into your head. Any other team is just unthinkable.

Yeah my late great grandmother loved Richmond (ughh)

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah my Dad put me in a Collingwood jumper and said this is who we go for... I never once questioned it and was proud to carry on the tradition of being Collingwood supporters.

It still pisses me off my brother jumped on the Hawthorn bandwagon in the late 80's and has pretty much been rewarded ever since but I'm dyed in the wool, in the blood Collingwood. It was never a choice for me, I never wavered.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
My uncle and cousin are dead eye Carlton supporters (came from my grandpa since he was too). As you can imagine, my childhood was fun! lol

My mum is Carlton but she graciously let Dad take the reins in teaching us about footy tradition but loves to rub it in if Carlton ever beat Collingwood so there is extra spice to that rivalry for me. Her mother, my dear grandmother is a lifelong mad Collingwood supporter since the '30's, she's one of those, stubborn, hardened supporters so I was proud to follow her team and that's the only thing she ever liked about my Dad... Lol.

I am one of those who did make a conscious decision to become a Pies fan, for better and worse. :D

I was actually a Hawks supporter as a young kid, and that was largely because of my next door neighbor. I grew up on Rembrandt Drive in Wheelers Hill, and living right next door to me was a special Hawks player named Barry Rowlings.

To this day I can't speak highly enough about him and how nice his wife and little girl were to me and my family; just a really polite friendly country guy from outside Moe. Always found some time to have a little kick with us neighbourhood kids on a weekend, let us play with his old English sheepdog called Nelson, gave us posters and little Hawks memorabilia.

But that changed in the late '70s when he got cleared to (growl) Richmond, and as much as I supported him personally on the next phase of his career, I did NOT want to be a Tigers supporter.

And to be honest I wasn't that keen to stay a Hawks supporter like my older sis has to this day (God, I would have enjoyed so many times during the last 40 years though...), and so I looked to who were my favourite players at the time, and who they played for. And right at the top of the list was a special young player by the name of Peter Daicos.

The rest was history.

Last edited:
My uncle and cousin are dead eye Carlton supporters (came from my grandpa since he was too). As you can imagine, my childhood was fun! lol
1979 or 1981 where horrible years,
Thankfully I have no Carlton supporters as relatives it's either Essendon or Melbourne.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am one of those who did make a conscious decision to become I Pies fan, for better and worse. :D

I was actually a Hawks supporter as a young kid, and that was largely because of my next door neighbor. I grew up on Rembrandt Drive in Wheelers Hill, and living right next door to me was a special Hawks player named Barry Rowlings.

To this day I can't speak highly enough about him and how nice his wife and little girl were to me and my family; just a really polite friendly country guy from outside Moe. Always found some time to have a little kick with us neighbourhood kids on a weekend, let us play with his old English sheepdog called Nelson, gave us posters and little Hawks memorabilia.

But that changed in the late '70s when he got cleared to (growl) Richmond, and as much as I supported him personally on the next phase of his career, I did NOT want to be a Tigers supporter.

And to be honest I wasn't that keen to stay a Hawks supporter like my older sis has to this day (God, I would have enjoyed so many times during the last 40 years though...), and so I looked to who were my favourite players at the time, and who they played for. And right at the top of the list was a special young player by the name of Peter Daicos.

The rest was history.

You can't switch past age 9, after that your decision is final.

1979 or 1981 where horrible years,
Thankfully I have no Carlton supporters as relatives it's either Essendon or Melbourne.
I was born in 83, and mum was pregnant with me and she attended a carlton v pies game, were carlton beat us. She almost went into labour. She grew up in a Carlton household, but she wasn't into footy at that point. Until she met my dad -- a collingwood supporter. The end is history lol But every time I go to my uncle's carlton decorated house (which isn't much) I want to tear down all his carlton things lol

My nanna gave my brother and I a Collingwood beanie and a scarf. There are pictures around of us riding tricycles wearing Pies t-shirts in our driveway.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I got lucky, I'm born in late 1980 so my first memories are watching the 1989 Grand Final which I still consider the best ever. I'm sure I kicked a footy around before then and had a passing interest but it wasn't until 1990 that I started to get a full appreciation of who all the players were and started taking a passionate interest In all things footy and bingo, I was 9 years old at my first grand final and the drought was over. It was amazing scenes for a kid going back to Victoria Park and seeing all the Collingwood supporters dancing and singing in the streets. I knew then I made the right choice to stick with the family tradition and love the fact that you either love or hate Collingwood, I'm very proud of the fact everyone else despises us!

Family inheritance.
To add to this, my Dad's sister married Guy Moore who played for the Pies in the late 40's-early-50's before doing his knee. He passed away quite young from cancer and my Auntie's next door neighbour was Sav Rocca. Anthony lived with him and eventually bough my Auntie's house.

Last edited:

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
It wasn't a conscious decision. My dad was a Collingwood supporter. He was born and raised in Collingwood and saw the 4 in a row.
He didn't force any of us to support Collingwood, we all just did naturally.
Footscray was the closest ground to us and he would have taken us there if we wanted to.
But there was never any question of who we would follow, and we all ended up passionate supporters, though I'm the only one who still goes.
My first game was early 72 or 73, can't remember which, but we pumped South Melbourne at Victoria Park and McKenna kicked about 8. That was it, I was hooked.

I am one of those who did make a conscious decision to become I Pies fan, for better and worse. :D

The rest was history.
Barry Rowlings-off the top of my head #22? Might be wrong.
Edit: Maybe that was at Richmond.

Back