Universal Love How did you decide to Become a Collingwood Supporter

My twin brother and I were assigned at birth, given Collingwood jumpers as soon as we were out of the womb.
Though there's certain teams I enjoy watching which I guess you could call a "second team", one of those being GWS in the recent years they've been good (last year's Semi was especially delicious :) )

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Much much better thread than some of the weird threads doing the rounds recently.

rhys_22

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I certainly had zero choice. Dad took us to games, bought everything Collingwood, sent us to get photos with players we didn't even know at kmart. Mum tried to get me to go for carlton but It was too late. .

When I was little dad taught me the words and sent me into mum on mother's day to sing the song for her. There was no going back

No choice!
It was just the way of life, talking about Tuddy, Ian Graham, Terry Waters and the rest of the team.
We saw losing Grand Finals in 1964, 1966 and 1970.
We collected footy cards from Scanlen's Gum.
Every second week we went to Victoria Park and other weeks we went to Windy Hill, Princes Park, MCG, Glenferrie Oval or Junction Oval, not forgetting the annual road trip to Kardinia Park.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Collingwood
Moved to Melbourne from Canberra as a 9 year old in 1966. Before my first day at my new school (Our Lady of Victories in Camberwell), mum warned me that the other kids at school would ask me who I barrack for? Coming from a non-sporting family I had no idea and asked what "barrack"meant? When she explained it, she said to me "oh just say Collingwood". I did and here I am today, a died in the wool Magpie.

Aug 27, 2017
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Collingwood
Incidentally, it will be interesting to note which posters contribute to this thread by sharing their supporting origins and which posters abstain from contributing, given the reasonable suspicions that some of our posters as actually Trolls, who don't really support the Pies. Just sayin'

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
A few that were very good but didn’t kick on.

Ron McKeown, best junior footballer I’ve seen.
Victor Daicos was handy around goals. Kicked a bag against Sth Melb one day that was reminiscent of Peter.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I never even knew that Daicos had a brother called Victor that played until you just mentioned it... McKeown very, very unlucky not to be a premiership legend. Wikipedia just told me he was a very handy cricketer as well.

Well you did what 99.9% of us Collingwood fans could only do in our wildest dreams and pulled on the stripes and represented Collingwood... kudos.

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
My whole family barracks for Richmond (still do) and we were sitting there watching a game between Collingwood and Richmond and I
liked the idea of watching Collingwood in colour before colour TV so I picked them

As for my daughter she had no choice support Collingwood or you don't get fed
My Daughter doesn’t have a choice either 😜

Sep 27, 2010
Ballarat
AFL Club
Collingwood
My Pa was Collingwood, Dad is Collingwood, I am Collingwood, my kids can barrack for anyone as long as it’s Collingwood!
Goes back to 1910 with my Pa, don’t know about his dad but love to think that he was Collingwood which would take the family support back to 1892!
Dad has always followed Collingwood, but I think I have swayed him back to being a true supporter!!
My sons first three songs he could sing were Incy Wincy Spider, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Goid old Collingwood Forever, he also got to go to his first game against the blues this year before his 3rd birthday!!. Have worked better with my daughter first song at just under 12 months was Good Old Collingwood Forever!

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
DAD was a Hawks supporter. took me to a few games, then when i was in about grade 1 i saw on a Jiffy Donuts bag that Collingwood had won the most premierships at the time (13) and i really liked the name Collingwood. So that was it. Parents also owned a milk bar and i started reading the newspapers and liked the name Mckenna, and remember seeing him sing on Young Talent Time.... and he ended up my first favourite player. I tried to convince a kid at school that he kicked 97 goals in a game but i think he kicked 7 out of 9 that day. It would have been around 71 or 72. I am sure 35Daicos can find that game too!!

ThePhantom777

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
In 1987 I started playing U7's footy with West Canberra Football club. We wore the old woolen jumpers with the black and white stripes. I followed Collingwood because we wore the same colours.

I was a ruckman, I had Damian Monkhorst and Tony Francis posters. The 1990 premiership was huge even though I was only 9 at the time. It's tough being an interstate supporter, I'd love to go to more live games.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I actually had a choice. My old man + my mum are Carlton Supporters!
Switched a little bit as a very young kid, because i had no idea what was going on really. Started at a Carlton supporter (by default) switched to the Lions (i was very young and all i knew is they were the best team, didn’t actually watch footy). Then my best mate in early primary school was a Pies supporter, and i actually started tuning in, and watching the Pies. He converted me, and i fell in love with Alan Didak, and loved the fact that it drove my Dad mad that i’d fallen in love with Carltons biggest rival :cool:

Couldn’t be happier that Collingwood was the team i happened to fall in love with when i first started watching. Wouldn’t change anything

Jun 10, 2016
WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Arsenal
Cold rainy day down near Albany WA watching the pies in the 2002 GF.
Although we lost watching a Bucks masterclass got me following them.
Bit ironic as my junior footy team the Bombers wore Essendon's strip.
Hirds number 5 was soon replaced with Bucks number 5 the next pre-season haha.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
My whole family barracks for Richmond (still do) and we were sitting there watching a game between Collingwood and Richmond and I
liked the idea of watching Collingwood in colour before colour TV so I picked them

As for my daughter she had no choice support Collingwood or you don't get fed
I assume she ate, good for her.

It was 1976 and Collingwood ‘won’ their first wooden spoon. I was a young tacker and thought winning was a good thing, so I jumped on the bandwagon.

Adults around me tried to explain that winning the wooden spoon wasn’t a good thing, and if I wanted to follow a good team then maybe I should pick again - but I was stubborn. That stubbornness was ***almost*** rewarded the very next year in 1977. And then ***almost*** again in 1979. And then ***almost*** again in 1980. And then ***almost*** again in 1981.

My formative years were spent expecting it to be a fait accompli that Collingwood would make the Grand Final, and it all came down to the roller coaster ride on GF day.

Back