Universal Love How did you decide to Become a Collingwood Supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
My parents were both avid Blues fans (Carlton not B B King) luckily I was born a Magpie.
Sounds like you had a difficult childhood.
But you came out the other end.

We can’t choose our parents :p

Queenie Hearts

Senior List
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was born in the US to expatriate Aussies. Mum’s family were mad North supporters with family who played for them. Dad had little interest being a cricket fanatic and grew up in Kew so nominally followed Hawks. When we moved back to Australia, we moved to Clifton Hill and went to the local primary school. Everyone barracked for Collingwood and they held footy clinics at the school with Collingwood players in the mid 70s and we went on excursions to Vic Park. A close family friend was a also a mad Pies supporter and so took my brothers and then later we would all go to games at Victoria Park. We kids then converted our parents and my Dad became a fanatical Collingwood supporter to this day. We also converted our cousins on both sides of the family. We go every week as an extended family unit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1980 was shiat as well, got flogged in the GF and a few weeks later Ali got smashed by Holmes, was on FTA television, those days are long gone.
Well 1980 I have tried my best to erase from my mind!
The 1980 loss had a huge impact on my father he sold the house and packed up the family and we moved to Queensland.:'(
Perhaps in his case 1970,1977 twice and 1979 took it's toll...

Well 1980 I have tried my best to erase from my mind!
The 1980 loss had a huge impact on my father he sold the house and packed up the family and we moved to Queensland.:'(
Perhaps in his case 1970,1977 twice and 1979 took it's toll...
Good thing I wasn't born til 1983. I don't remember anything prior to 1990 lol

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Like many others I didn't have a choice. My Grandma said you're a collingwood supporter and that was it. Third generation and my daughter is fourth generation.

I remember watching my first game, it was on TV in Alice Springs, 1980 grandfinal. I remember I was extremely disappointed.

Found out many years later my Grandma made a commitment to a cousin before he went off to war. Support CFC until he came back. He never came back AND my Grandma tried her very best to pass that commitment off onto her kids and grand kids. She was quite successful.

Like many others I didn't have a choice. My Grandma said you're a collingwood supporter and that was it. Third generation and my daughter is fourth generation.

I remember watching my first game, it was on TV in Alice Springs, 1980 grandfinal. I remember I was extremely disappointed.

Found out many years later my Grandma made a commitment to a cousin before he went off to war. Support CFC until he came back. He never came back AND my Grandma tried her very best to pass that commitment off onto her kids and grand kids. She was quite successful.

Rorzza
Such history :collingwood: you are Collingwood!

Zzorse

Senior List
Aug 2, 2017
Wisconsin USA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Had not heard of footy until February of 2013 when a friend sent a YouTube link showing what an umpire does when a goal is scored. He thought that was funny. I got curious but wasn't going to watch some fuzzy video of a football game. The AFL had released a Blu-ray disc of the 2010 Grand Final and I bought that on eBay. The first game of footy I ever watched was the 2010 draw. The 2nd game on the disc was the replay (not shot in HD!) and Collingwood won so I had my team for life. I have a yearly International Digital Insider membership.

When we lose the rest of the week sucks. When we win I can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Maggie Greg

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grandmother on my father's side grew up in Collingwood, she and my grandfather went every week back in the suburban footy days. They went almost every week from around the early 1920's until the early 1990's. Then later on, (early 90s) my brother would take her to Vic Park every second week, I remember him telling me he decided to stop taking her when he realized she couldn't see nor work out what was going on any more and was only reacting to the crowd!

They began taking me every week to the footy from the age of about 4 years old, my father is the odd man out in my family, a cats man, he was desperate for me to barrack for them. I idolized my godfather and he was a Fitzroy supporter, brought me my first pair of footy boots, Ron Barassi 'goal-kickers' that were miles too big for me but I still wore them around the house kicking imaginary goals from impossible angles! He also brought me a Fitzroy jumper and I liked that it was more colourful than the pies or the cats so, at about 4 years old I opted for the Lions. However, I loved going to the footy with my grandparents, we'd get there at about 3/4 time in the ressies and set up shop in our regular place, all the while saying hello to all the 'footy friends' around us who also always sat in the same spot. My grandparents had little fold out chairs that they set up behind the single row of backless, metal bench-seat that ran around the fence. We had a tin of toasted cheese sanwiches my grandfather had made that morning and a thermos of hot tea with milk.

The absolute highlight of my day was the hot dog my grandfather would buy me at half time, I swear I'd dream about how good that was going to taste all day, I seem to recall they cost about 30c each. Aside from Friday fish and chips this was probably the only 'brought' food in my life at the time, I remember they would not buy me a bag of doughnuts out front of the ground on the way home, because at a $1 a bag these were deemed outrageously expensive by my grandfather. Seasons later, the arrival of the peanut man offering peanuts for 10c a bag would eventually present me with another treat.

However, it was the hot dogs that clinched the deal, one day my grandfather bailed me up at Vic Park and laid it our for me, he and my grandmother now took me to the footy every week to see Collingwood and he brought me a hot dog and didn't I therefore think it fair and reasonable to barrack for Collingwood? I was only 4 years old but, I knew an implied threat when I heard one, this could all end tomorrow, no more hot dogs. And so, with due consideration I decided to secure my hot dog supply and follow Collingwood!
Hey RC you still around? Haven't seen you since the heady days on EBW before it was invaded by RWNJs. Hope all is well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Family related: The late great Daniel Minogue, his 1st cousin Jack (my grandfather) adopted Collingwood being it was Daniel's first club he played at in the big time (if I am correct). And the whole family has followed the Pies ever since, luckily they didn't adopt the tiger scum or dogs! (Where Daniel went after WW1)

Decision was made for me.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Family related: The late great Daniel Minogue, his 1st cousin Jack (my grandfather) adopted Collingwood being it was Daniel's first club he played at in the big time (if I am correct). And the whole family has followed the Pies ever since, luckily they didn't adopt the tiger scum or dogs! (Where Daniel went after WW1)

Decision was made for me.
Dan Minogue was a legit super star.

Great share, many thanks.

(Word around the camp fire, but never confirmed for me, is the Minogues of singing budgie etc are related to Dan Minogue.)

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
It was 1976 and Collingwood ‘won’ their first wooden spoon. I was a young tacker and thought winning was a good thing, so I jumped on the bandwagon.

Adults around me tried to explain that winning the wooden spoon wasn’t a good thing, and if I wanted to follow a good team then maybe I should pick again - but I was stubborn. That stubbornness was ***almost*** rewarded the very next year in 1977. And then ***almost*** again in 1979. And then ***almost*** again in 1980. And then ***almost*** again in 1981.

My formative years were spent expecting it to be a fait accompli that Collingwood would make the Grand Final, and it all came down to the roller coaster ride on GF day.

I remember the pain vividly in 77 and then those next 3 :'( . After 81 I conceded we had to win flags by weight of numbers, just after that game my uncle told the horror story of the 70 gf.

Oh the pain!

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Dan Minogue was a legit super star.

Great share, many thanks.

(Word around the camp fire, but never confirmed for me, is the Minogues of singing budgie etc are related to Dan Minogue.)

Hey Saintly! Thanks for the commendation! my uncle explains him as the "Ron Barrasi of his time" his photo is in the hall of fame wall that the public can look at in the MCG tour. (Recommended for any footy or cricket fan!). If I am correct he also famously played out the 1911 gf with a broken collarbone sustained in the 1st qtr and was also captain.

Here is a Wiki link about him if anyone is interested, I'm not so certain on it's accuracy though - we're talking roughly 100 years ago.

As far as Danni and Kylie are concerned I'm not sure. There are some in the family that believe we're related (to Daniel too).................... Minogues are a huge clan and it's even thought that we're unfortunately related to that putrid drop kick Craig Minogue (Russell street bomber) - Would hope not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back