How did you start supporting the Brisbane Lions?

How did you start supporting the Lions?

• Was a Brisbane Bears fan

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • Was a Fitzroy Lions fan

Votes: 38 36.2%
  • Started following them after they became the Brisbane Lions

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • QUEENSLANDER!!!

Votes: 12 11.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I grew up in country Qld, born 1965, so I'm 9 or 10 mid 70's when sport grabs ya. I was always aware of Aussie rules football, dad played as a young lad in Brisbane, he would take notice of it on telly n talk about it. We were taught the game in primary school and played it sometimes. Only got to see the GF each year on telly.

As a beer drinking good night out bloke in the 90's I moved to Brisbane and would find myself on the hill at the Gabba watching on occasions. Always enjoyed a day or night at the footy, was well aware of the Bears/Lions. Still tho I hadn't settled on a team or was a regular watcher.

It wasn't till my sister started going out with then marrying a Collingwood supporter from Melbourne. Tats n all. I had to find something to be able to talk to him about. Footy was going to be it. I was a Qld bloke, no way I was going to support Collingwood, it had to be a Qld team so I jumped on the Lions proper 1997. Suffered thru his know it all Collingwood bullshit but was pig in s**t when we beat them in 02, 03. I can still see him cringe at the mention of Acker.

Every season I've grown a greater appreciation of the game, and have become more and more invested in the club.

Great stories to hear.... I've loved reading this thread! Fantastic stuff from everyone.

I was a big user of Big Footy back in the day, but have spent less time in here over the last decade or so. Great to see familiar names around here still (like Mr Ripper who has posted some phemonemally good historical videos of our club over the years, amongst other familiar names). I almost feel guilty stepping back in here so irregularly now.

MY grandparents owned a Milk Bar in North Fitzroy in the 50s, in the heartland. They weren't into footy, but my Dad got taken to Brunswick Street Oval as a little kid by the neighbours, and lived through the years of Murray (same surname!) as the hero, but mostly bereft of any success. Dad adored the Roys. I had little choice when born in the early 70s, but I just don't remember not barracking for Fitzroy. When people ask me where I grew up, my answer is in the Social Club Grandstand at the Junction Oval, sitting one row up from the cast of Cop Shop (Channel 7 drama, get on Youtube people). It was a great place to be a kid those Fitzroy games of the late 70s and 80s. The same faces week in week out, a safe environment where everyone seemed to look after each other. Kids never got lost even though they'd disappear from their parents at various stages of the day to have a kick out the back, or colect a Lions Cubs prize, or tearing onto the field after a game as the siren went (on occasions, over the fence and on the boundary line well before the siren).

There was something about being the underdog and not part of the "army" of other big clubs that appealed. We always batted above our average, above what we had in resources. Star players weren't primadonnas. My Mum still has photos of me as a little kid with names like Quinlan, Wilson, Rendell, Serafini. As a 9 year old I ran onto the ground at the Junction after beating the last years premiers the Tigers by a handful, ran flat bang into rover Leon Harris (modern day Lions recruiter may I add) who I was nearly as tall as, who helped me to my feet and somehow allowed me to run off with him and be shepherded into the old club rooms, watching the boys sing La Marseillaise.

Their weren't many of us, but it was our club and it felt good.

MY Dad died in the early 90s and thus didn't live through the pain and anguish of the slow death. There was substantial pride in trying to keep going, but in hindsight I do wish we'd gone to Brisbane after 1986 when the players voted to do so. As the league went national and professional, and the money required went through the roof, it seemed inevitable. It was. It was just so bloody awful.

The Roys were (on the quiet) a lot of people's second team. I take that as a complement, but I don't recall it possible to have a second team in Melbourne if you barracked for Fitzroy. Perhaps you hated some teams more. I liked the Bears though. Batting above their average, coached by a favourite in Walls, on the tellie every second Sunday, players like Voss coming through, fighting the frontier up north. I liked it when underdogs had success, when the same teams like Hawthorn, Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton seemed to have success year after bloody year. The V maroon and gold was also a bloody good jumper. A traditional looking football jumper.

The merger was possibly the best result for me individually, though I respect the position of every Fitzroy person in their decision as to what to do post 1996. Maroon was everyopne's history. The colors. The jumper. La Marseillaise. Its a good song isn't it. I liked where the Bears were heading up to 96. Post the night of Noel Gordon's sloppy three beers performance on the Footy Show, the club did a lot for those of us from the Roys side of the family from down south in those early years after the merger. I am grateful that we've been well considered along the way.

The die wasn't necessarily cast though. I remember watching the first Ansett Cup pre-season match of 1997 where the Lions lost. I realised I was onboard, when I was miffed that we lost. "We". OK, that'll do.

I've loved the Lions journey. I went to four Grand Finals. The concept of my team being in a GF still shocks me. I'm reminded of being a kid where it didn't seem possible that "we" could be in a Grand Final, when for many years it didn't seem possible that'd we'd win a game. I remember how good the crowds were at the GF, and more specifically the parade before 01, and Brunswick St after the wins. There was a real mish mash. Queenslanders were certainly made welcome. We all did feel as one. Just chatting to people from all parts of the Lions family was brilliant. Just like the stories in this thread.

Most specifically I remember at the end of the 03 GF. Aker had kicked the goal. Luke Power had cleared from defence to the wing boundary (which would have been insufficient intent now). I was in the second back row of the old Ponsford, so high that I couldn't see the bottom of the goal posts. The siren went. This old Collingwood supporter got up and just screamed at us all. "Fitzroy's dead, Fitzroy doesn't exist. Fitzroy's dead". This collection of Lions people in our bay, Queenslanders down for the game, old Fitzroy people, anyone in maroon and blue, just turned on him and tore strips off him. All of us. 'F off you stupid old man. It felt like the club and its people standing up for our history. It was superb. It sure helps if you win a Grand Final of course. No, we're not dead you stupid old flog, we're just a part of something different now. And we just beat your mob and won a premiership. Back to the slums you go....

I hated the jumper change, but again it wasn't just those from the Fitzroy side of the family who stood up for that nonsense. The traditional Brisbane Lions jumper was at stake, and everyone played their part. This was our club, didn't matter where you were from.

I love going to the Gabba, even though I've only been a handful of times over the years (though have spent a lot of time in FNQ, which I adore). The Gabba has a feel. It feels like my club's home ground. Hearing Country Roads makes me smile. Its unique. It seems like a natural progression that the fans sing it on and on after its played - not this Never Tear Us Apart bulldust that seems fake. I love that we're up against it for media up in Queensland. I love that we trained in a dungeon for decades and still had success, batting above our average. That is very familiar. We're not the biggest club, and I still like that. I love the new facility. I love Fagan. The concept of a 62 year old coaching in a GF makes me smile. I love that he cares about our players. I love how he's pointed out certain things in press conferences about the noise of our fans be it in Melbourne or Queensland. He's someone who gets our footy club. We need that. I love how our club has learned to nurture young talent within Queensland, and care for young talent from outside Queensland making the trek north when drafted, or far south east in the case of Kiddy. Drafting mates to play with mates. Brothers playing in the Reserves, so family is close. Unique....

I love it that in big games in Melbourne there is a still a bunch of supporters who go complete nuts when we have success. I can still feel the energy of bays and bays of Lions fans simply going off tap at the end of the game against the Demons in last years finals. Off tap! Simply going bezerk because our footy club had won a final against the odds. The underdog strikes again. It's possible.

We're a unique club. We're a fantastic footy club. Proudly from the Fitzroy side of the family, but very proud to be a Brisbane Lions member now for decades.

Enjoy the week, no matter where you are. Dare to dream. It doesn't happen every year.

My introduction to Aussie Rules & the AFL was weird. Remember the electronics store WoW Sight and Sound? They had a PS2 set up with "AFL Premiership 2006" loaded up.

This was in 2007 and I was 9 years old at the time, I was immediately captivated with the game and I was immediately drawn to choosing the Brisbane Lions because I was born in Brisbane and ended up living there until I was 16. So my entire life up to that point.

But I fell in love with every aspect of the club. So I started watching every Lions game on Channel 10. The first game I saw was when we played Carlton at the Gabba and we won by over 100 points and Jono Brown kicked 10 goals that day. For my birthday that year I had a custom Brisbane Lions cake, went with my family to my first game at the Gabba and my mum bought me a size 10 guernsey which I still own and have hung up in my wardrobe. Then the next year I started playing club footy for Coorparoo. Since then my passion and love for the Lions has stayed.

Last edited:
Dad was a Richmond supporter but when he moved to Brisbane in the 80s and the Bears joined the competition, he swapped to them.
Was too young to remember but Dad took me to the first Bears game back in the day. I'd asked Dad to play footy (which was League since thats what all my mates played) but he signed me up to Auskick (being a Victorian) and that was that.

Joined BigFooty after the "If it bleeds we can kill it" game in 2001.

Last edited:
Im another multi generational supporter. Grandpa was living in Fitzroy and started supporting them back when they were the Maroons and before they were the Gorrilas. Every male in the family has gone for the Lions ever since (females all follow Carlton after Grandma who grew up in Carlton).

Lot of my early memories are going out to Waverly and standing out there in the stands. Remember a lot of losses though. I'll admit the 90s were tough and my interest waned a fair bit. Probably didnt get to appreciate the threepeat as much as I should of as didnt get to many games. Actually worked at 2 of our Grand Finals behind the bar so atmosphere was great but sort of different experience.

Very much agree though that the bad times and the journey of improvement makes it so much sweeter now.

And cant wait to taking my son to more games and enjoying them with him. Although his only game was the Hawks game for a loss so still not sure if he is a bad luck charm or not.

Brilliant thread guys loved reading it, both from people who rarely post and those of you who's commentary I enjoy reading every week, great to see a little of the people behind the usernames.

I came to this country from the UK in 1974 a 6 year old kid trying to assimilate, grew up in country Victoria, Richmond were the powerhouse of the day and needing to have a team to 'fit in' were the team that came to mind.

Followed the footy loosely as you are forced to do down there, but in 1995 made the move from Melbourne where I lived as a young adult, to Brisbane where I have been ever since.

Having only loosely followed the game and being determined to be a good Queenslander on the removalists advice; I assured him would follow the three B's Bears (my 2nd favourite team anyway) Broncos and Bullets.

Not really a basketball fan so felt nothing about the Bullet's demise, and 28 years deep still waiting for rugby league to grow on me (dont even watch the origin), maybe it was an expat like thing but didn't realise how much I missed the aussie rules when went from being immersed in it, to struggling read about it or watch it and my passion for Australian Rules and the Bears just grew and grew.

Was really excited about my bears so initially not over the moon about the merger (best thing to happen of course) but at the time believed the Bears would make it on their own.

Anyway have been privileged to have followed our team through the glory years, recall sitting up late waiting to watch a footy show in 2001 when instead all I could watch was a plane hitting the world trade towers. Saturday morning 2001 Grand Final day my 2yo son tipped cordial on my TV shorting it out, bolted into Southbank and watched us clobber the Bombers on the Imax screen (Stressful morning) :)

My passion never wavered through the past 20 years, though rue our lack of sucess made it impossible to get my two computer nerd sons to watch them with me.

Super excited about this weekend, the long drought has often left me pondering whether I would be around for the next flag.

I need to get a life :) but watch nearly every game of AFL each week, like to play weekly fantasy for money so have a very good appreciation of the strengths of other teams, the point being that doing so I know how many good teams are out there, all capable of contending in ensuing years, and what a fine line it is in making Finals (think Crows) or winning them (Giants).

So premierships (even making Grand Finals) are to be treasured there is no guarantee we will be back next year, it's so very hard and you need everything to go right.

Have a wonderful weekend team, I know I will, as win or lose our wonderful team will make us proud!

I actually have a question that I'm hoping nostalgic types in this thread might be able to help with... I'm trying to work out the date of the first Brisbane Lions family day at Brunswick Street Oval which I think was in early 1997 (but it may have been before Christmas at the start of pre-season in late 1996). My photo ended up on the back page of the Age sport the next day (Sunday) having my Lions jumper autographed by Kevin Murray. I'm hoping to go into the Age archives and get a copy of the photo or digital print of that page for posterity...

For me - I came to be a Brisbane Lions supporter from Fitzroy - I was 13 when the merger happened and followed Fitzroy as my father had... (his family was Saints but his neighbour was a Lions man and so he joined in there). Dad attended games at Brunswick Street as a teenager with the club leaving when he was 21 and kept following from there around the grounds.

I never saw Fitzroy play in a final (I did attend the night grand final against Hawthorn at Waverley in 1991/92?) but saw some good teams in the early 90's before the talent drained away in '94/'95/'96

For me switching to Brisbane with the merger was a no brainer. The colours, emblem and song were the same and having been brought up to "dislike" the other clubs I didn't think switching to another team made much sense! (I have work colleagues who are old Roy Boys who did switch to North and Geelong).

I think the club has made a huge effort to respect the history of Fitzroy (even just having the family days at Brunswick is great and the relationship to Fitzroy amateurs is really nice), having been located in Melbourne I can't say how the Bears history has been retained/celebrated.

Meanwhile the jumper that Kevin Murray signed (long since faded away!) attended its 5th grand final on my back a couple of weeks ago. As many Melbourne fans would attest it can be hard to stay fully engaged with the mixed schedule of games (Ballarat, Geelong, Launceston!) and some particularly poor performances even in recent stronger years down here but still love the club. I felt the grand final this year felt like the start of something and I'm looking forward to having red hot cracks the next couple of seasons.

Moved to Brisbane Australia in the early 2000's, so it was an easy choice with the ongoing success at the time. Then moving back to Europe kind of lost the connection a bit - until Covid times, when all other sports were in lockdown (and the streaming capabilities had improved heaps since the early 2000's) I started to watch the footy again. Also very much into AFLW, which is very different - but the development of AFLW is interesting to follow. Big fan of ice hockey, and the whole tackling aspect of AFL/AFLW is a big plus.

Attachments

• Brisbane.png
    Brisbane.png
    265.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Lions.png
    Lions.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 57
2005ish. Things have gotten as of lately. Since the late 2000's I became more entrenched in local footy. Also, I've had a lot of family reconnecting to deal with.

Last game I saw live was the amazing clash between Lions and Cats at the Gabba with the Lions winning by a point.

I wore Liverpool colours that day, because I had to be neutral.That was an amazing game that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When i was in grade 1 Craig Starcevich and Shaun Hart came to my school for Auskick. Ended up joining a junior team briefly and rest is history. Needless to say a few years later I was very sad as my team was no longer the Bears (who I loved so dearly) but some weird hybrid of a terrible (at the time) Melbourne team and my on-the-rise team. Still miss the Bears brand, but love the team. Ended up getting my family into footy too!

Grew up in a Hawks nest but decided at age 6 in 1979 to support the Roys.
At times during the 80’s when Hawthorn romped to cup after cup that looked a very bleak decision. but loved the mid 80’s Lions teams and there was no going back and never once regretted it. Attended the last ever game as Fitzroy. happily got on board the merge as I could not fathom supporting another Vic team and Brisbane seemed intent on maintaining our heritage. Just wish I still had my old Fitzroy duffle coat.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Came to Australia in 2002, arrived in Melbourne and still no idea about AFL. I believe 2002 GF was on TV when I visited one of our friend's home. Still didn't catch on. That offseason FoxFooty channel was in our subscription list and I started watching replays.

One day they put on Round 17 2002 vs Hawthorn where big Jono Brown ran full steam into oncoming traffic like a freight train and took that Mark of the year splitting 3 players. That's it. A Lions fan was born.

Grew up in country SA. VFL was 1 hour of the Winners on Sunday at 4. Had a soft spot for the Roys then.

Moved to Brisvegas in 92. Went to a few games each year at Carrara, just to see some footy. When the Bears moved to the Gabba, and went member based, I joined up. Bar 1 year been a member since. A Bears/Loins tragic was born.

BTW, was against the merger. How wrong I was. 3 flags proved that. Now I love our parentage of Queensland, and the original power club of the VFL. 4 flags in the first 10 years.

Love the Melbourne support - the inlaws are OK.

Epic thread.

Last edited:
I grew up in Melbourne with family who supported Carlton & Collingwood. I liked Lions, and also jumped on board because they were the best team at the time. Vividly remember many, many tears after the GF in 2004. Started going to games & one Sunday morning was taken to the Manningham Club for a family day & purchased my first guernsey in 2008 (just so happened to be the piss stained one lol, but as it was my first, it was my favourite).

Have attended 95% of vic games since 2009 and fly up once a year to see them at the Gabba. We have a group of about 4 who we go to games with, hopefully something we can pass onto our future generations. Anyway, here's a pic of the glorydays

Attachments

• 24221_109193332427919_5460117_n.jpg
    24221_109193332427919_5460117_n.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 36
Well this may shock and disappoint some but I was and still am first and foremost a Broncos man. But my love for the Lions is not far behind. Basically I love both teams and will watch any game they are in. In fact, in recent years, the Brin is were so hard to watch, if there was a clash, I’d watch the Lions.

I am disgruntled with the NRL as a whole, don’t get me started on their ‘leadership’ and so outside of the Broncs, don’t really care about anything else. The AFL is far better run and far more professional, I like that.

In terms of the Lions, I was really young when they merged and only remember one name - Roger Merritt. Then as the Lions started getting good in the late 90s, I loved how much that Lions team that led to the three peat played AFL like league. They belted everyone, just a truly imposing team. Then a friend bought me a season membership and I’ve been on board ever since. AFL games live are so much better than league and so although no longer living in Brissy and haven’t done so for a very long time, whenever the Lions are in town, I’m there.

Last year having both Brissy teams in the GF was a dream, just a shame about the results.

Grew up in a small town inside the Fitzroy Zone - Dad being a Queenslander and a League Man, reasoned that if I was going to play VFL it would be for the Lions and I might as well barrack for them so I did. Couple of local brothers were playing at the time for the Lions (one ended up being an inaugural 🐻. The death of Fitzroy was very hard for me and many others. I was living in Sydney at the time and the final game at the MCG left me with a sour taste. I was agnostic for much of 1997 until I returned to the region and under the urging of a now AFL coach took up playing again after a few years off. My footy jumper collection mysteriously disappeared in my move to Sydney and so when i went to buy a training jumper only one jumped out at me and so I committed. There was a young lad who I came up against in cricket who went alright at the game and he later made his way to the Lions as a father /son selection - he wore No.16.

Now a lad that wears the 6, I have known since he was born. He is a tremendous young man as is his family.

The Lions are my team.

Grew up in a small town inside the Fitzroy Zone - Dad being a Queenslander and a League Man, reasoned that if I was going to play VFL it would be for the Lions and I might as well barrack for them so I did. Couple of local brothers were playing at the time for the Lions (one ended up being an inaugural 🐻. The death of Fitzroy was very hard for me and many others. I was living in Sydney at the time and the final game at the MCG left me with a sour taste. I was agnostic for much of 1997 until I returned to the region and under the urging of a now AFL coach took up playing again after a few years off. My footy jumper collection mysteriously disappeared in my move to Sydney and so when i went to buy a training jumper only one jumped out at me and so I committed. There was a young lad who I came up against in cricket who went alright at the game and he later made his way to the Lions as a father /son selection - he wore No.16.

Now a lad that wears the 6, I have known since he was born. He is a tremendous young man as is his family.

The Lions are my team.
Number 6 was a student at Warrnambool College, long after I started my teaching career (when it was Warrnambool High School) in earnest, after a muck about year at Camperdown HS. James Rahilly was an ex-student, as was Clare Lindop, the first Australian Woman to ride in a Melbourne Cup. A great school in a great sporting town.

Last edited:
Back