How do AFL players get paid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Does anyone know how AFL players get paid?

What I mean is when I work, I get paid my salary every two weeks.

Contractors get paid at the end of their jobs.

Lump sum? A base amount then monthly throughout the year? Fortnightly over the course of their contract?

Also would they have tax taken out for them or would they have to do it themselves?

Would love an up to date answer on this

:D The reason Greg moved to the US was so he could perfect his choking technique against real players.

There's no separate tax bracket for sportsmen. If they pay more tax than Joe Citizen it's because their income is higher.

There used to be a 5 year averaging provision. Think there might have been one for farmers as well.

Does anyone know how AFL players get paid?

What I mean is when I work, I get paid my salary every two weeks.

Contractors get paid at the end of their jobs.

Lump sum? A base amount then monthly throughout the year? Fortnightly over the course of their contract?

Also would they have tax taken out for them or would they have to do it themselves?
Match payments are $5000 per game for AFL paid twice through the year collectively for how many games played in that period

Then salary is monthly

Match payments are $5000 per game for AFL paid twice through the year collectively for how many games played in that period

Then salary is monthly

Is that match payment fair dinkum? A player who plays the whole home and away season takes home their salary plus $110k? Sounds like way too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that match payment fair dinkum? A player who plays the whole home and away season takes home their salary plus $110k? Sounds like way too much.
The figure came straight from Brian Cook's mouth

In the old days of VFL, Footscray carried a sheet around the perimeter of the now Whitten Oval and people would throw money into it. Player payments would come from there less a small amount for the Hyde Street Boys Band.

In the old days of VFL, Footscray carried a sheet around the perimeter of the now Whitten Oval and people would throw money into it. Player payments would come from there less a small amount for the Hyde Street Boys Band.
Bring this back!

Id suggest:
Bitcoin, doge coin, etherium
Gold, silver, platinum bullion
Random Cash Brown paper bag give aways just under 10k.
1 dollar luxury car leases.
1 dollar penthouse apartment rentals.
"free" yachts.
3rd party agreements

Oh.... you mean within the cap?

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2022-CBA.pdf. Pg66 for payment schedule. Then pg 73

5. Times of Payment
(a) An AFL Player paid in accordance with this Schedule C shall be paid on the dates and in the manner set out below:
(i) minimum base payment or base payment (as the case may be) - by twelve (12) equal monthly instalments commencing on 30 November to 31 October the following year;
(ii) Senior Match payments (payable if the Player is listed on the official team sheet) - shall be paid by the 15th day of each month for Matches played in the preceding month or such earlier date as agreed between the Player and the AFL Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back