How do Collingwood keep doing it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly fitness, unbelievably fit to run over the top of most teams. Combine that with Essendon completely shitting the bed and The Crows shocking kicking for goal, Rankine is paid how much ? It keeps happening so it’s not a fluke. Last years final v Sydney, only the siren beat them, Sydney were out on their feet.
The worst thing for Essendon was the 3/4 time siren going, they were well in control, got too cocky, bang, pies get a sniff, momentum switch, clearly fitter than us, goodnight Bombers.

We tend to start fast, hold for quarter 2 and 3 then make another move in the last but i think the big thing is the players are not blasted if they make a mistake. McRae backs his players in. Amazing that when you play with fearlessness how much confident you are in executing your skills and with a good game plan it works a lot.

Clearly fitness, unbelievably fit to run over the top of most teams. Combine that with Essendon completely shitting the bed and The Crows shocking kicking for goal, Rankine is paid how much ? It keeps happening so it’s not a fluke. Last years final v Sydney, only the siren beat them, Sydney were out on their feet.
The worst thing for Essendon was the 3/4 time siren going, they were well in control, got too cocky, bang, pies get a sniff, momentum switch, clearly fitter than us, goodnight Bombers.

I don’t think it’s fitness because all teams are fit. There is almost no difference in fitness between professional AFL teams. I decided to watch the last quarter when they played Adelaide and for the first time I REALLY watched closely what they were doing. They play on all the time. I mean ALL the time. They keep the ball moving. Against Adelaide there was always someone ready running past. Every time.

They know if they do this that the opposition defence will be unorganised because when you move it quickly the defence has less time to prepare. Adelaide meanwhile often would take a mark and then go back, take their time, kick over the mark etc. They were sitting ducks and it was all their own fault. Sydney were doing exactly that in the Prelim last year too.

The trick IMO is to not protect the lead against them. Do what they do. Pretend you are 4 goals down rather than 4 goals up. Play on, keep the ball moving. Their defence is just as susceptible to quick ball movement as anyone else, but no one tests them because everyone just goes into their shell and tries to protect the lead.

The problem is opposition coaches are naturally conservative and not willing to take risks. It’s counter intuitive. You need to fight fire with fire against them.

Rope a dope gameplan. Hawks did it from 2010-2016

There's also a psychological element for their opponents. They're expecting a fightback, so they fall into a hole instead of playing their own game

I don’t think it’s fitness because all teams are fit. There is almost no difference in fitness between professional AFL teams. I decided to watch the last quarter when they played Adelaide and for the first time I REALLY watched closely what they were doing. They play on all the time. I mean ALL the time. They keep the ball moving. Against Adelaide there was always someone ready running past. Every time.

They know if they do this that the opposition defence will be unorganised because when you move it quickly the defence has less time to prepare. Adelaide meanwhile often would take a mark and then go back, take their time, kick over the mark etc. They were sitting ducks and it was all their own fault. Sydney were doing exactly that in the Prelim last year too.

The trick IMO is to not protect the lead against them. Do what they do. Pretend you are 4 goals down rather than 4 goals up. Play on, keep the ball moving. Their defence is just as susceptible to quick ball movement as anyone else, but no one tests them because everyone just goes into their shell and tries to protect the lead.

The problem is opposition coaches are naturally conservative and not willing to take risks. It’s counter intuitive. You need to fight fire with fire against them.
They are as fit as * mate, which, as you say, allows them to play on all the time. First quarter to last. Check last years final v Sydney, they were absolutely gassed at the end and were lucky to hold on. Essendon stopped to a walk on Anzac Day, it was so obvious.

There's also a psychological element for their opponents. They're expecting a fightback, so they fall into a hole instead of playing their own game
That's from both sides but yeah the real kicker is the opponent expecting it to happen. The fact that the media has been talking about it the last 9 months is keeping it fresh in everyone's minds.

They are as fit as * mate, which, as you say, allows them to play on all the time. First quarter to last. Check last years final v Sydney, they were absolutely gassed at the end and were lucky to hold on. Essendon stopped to a walk on Anzac Day, it was so obvious.

It's not fitness (at least not mainly). Think about it logically for a second. Essendon finish the third quarter full of running. Then in addition to that we have a three-quarter time break to rest. Then, inexplicably we stop for no apparent reason after a 6 minute rest?? That's not fitness. Every single club has 4 months of pre-season training where they get their players as fit as possible. These are 18 professional clubs - there would clearly be next to no difference in fitness levels. Why would there by? These are elite athletes across the board.

It's "system" from Collingwood. Most other clubs don't take the game on, and are consequently sitting ducks. Adelaide could have taken the game on if they were bold enough.

Collingwood didn't outscore Brisbane, Richmond and St.Kilda in the last quarter. In fact they've only won 4 of 7 last quarters. Is that fitness? No. What they do, when they are behind is take the game on, and do so continuously according to system, and other clubs don't have the balls to fight fire with fire.

The Anzac day game was the first final quarter Collingwood had won since March 25.

Last edited:
Richmond used to run out games better than any other team when they were winning their premierships. Dominating last quarters every week.

It's amazing how fit some of these teams can become that they dominate last quarters.

Must be some really impressive fitness programs these teams try out.

Was only 12 months ago Geelong kicked 7 goals to the Pies 1 behind in the last quarter.

Maybe they learned something?
We obviously did.

What people fail to remember that in the first half of the year it was the opposition chasing down us and holding on for the win. It wasn't until round 16 against Gold Coast where we chased down a sizeable lead late for the win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly right.

We’d finished our previous season 1 week prior to you.
For whatever reason the Cats had no legs or fluency the first 3 weeks.

Would've still been closer in the last quarter if we didn't have Stewart, Stengle and SDK go down early. The latter two eventually came back on but weren't right. Game loads were a bit too much for the rest of them.

Next time will definitely be a better marker. Should be close like most other Geelong/Collingwood games.

That's pretty much what Brisbane did. Collingwood lifted the pressure but so did the Lions and kept attacking. Instead of trying to hold the lead kept pushing and was able to get out the back and outscore Collingwood in the last. By playing on and running forward at every chance there are spares out the back all the time, its a high risk/high reward tactic. Teams have to be brave enough to take them on

It’s as simple as this: they train to win close games in the home and away season and have fourth quarter comebacks. Without that training there is no way that Adelaide would have been that inaccurate last week.

Unfortunately they didn’t train to win close finals so didn’t win the flag. I’m sure Fly is focusing on ‘training the close finals’ as his strategy for this year.

It’s as simple as this: they train to win close games in the home and away season and have fourth quarter comebacks. Without that training there is no way that Adelaide would have been that inaccurate last week.

Unfortunately they didn’t train to win close finals so didn’t win the flag. I’m sure Fly is focusing on ‘training the close finals’ as his strategy for this year.
This is revolutionary. Can’t believe it hasn’t been thought of!

I’m wondering if other teams outside Geelong have focussed on training to win Premierships, if they have, they’ll win the flag!

The truth is, the first 3-weeks of the year we comfortably outplayed our opponents in general play and should have won them easily. Geelong were insanely accurate was the only reason we had to come from behind against them and we kicked horribly inaccurately against Richmond.

Since round 3 weve had heaps of injuries and with a weaker line up opponents have outplayed us for large patches of games putting us in losing positions frequently. If anyone thinks its a tactic to be behind at 3/4 time Ive got a bridge to sell you. We have a lot of belief and keep coming at opponents and some of them have shat the bed like Essendon and Adelaide, and others like Brisbane have had the experience to take advantage of our weaker team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back