Employment How do HR verify past employment?

Remove this Banner Ad

gimp!

Standus Operatus
Feb 20, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When a potential employer says they may perform past employment checks, what does this normally involve? A reference check? If you have no reference for that past job, a direct call to the employer? They also say that if they find out that you have claimed something on your resume that is false, that they may terminate employment. How could they possibly find out after you have been offered a job, after calling references and employers? What other possible ways can they determine past employment?

Generally we conduct reference checks or cold call listed past employers. Some companies also run Google or Facebook searches to see what they can dig up, but legally they're unable to use that information in their hiring decision (not that that will stop them).

I don't recommend lying on your application or resume. If you do, and they find out somehow, they can potentially fire you if they include that clause. That's the only reason that that clause would be included, so they can cover themselves in the future. Having said that, terminating employment isn't that cut and dried these days.

Generally we conduct reference checks or cold call listed past employers. Some companies also run Google or Facebook searches to see what they can dig up, but legally they're unable to use that information in their hiring decision (not that that will stop them).

I don't recommend lying on your application or resume. If you do, and they find out somehow, they can potentially fire you if they include that clause. That's the only reason that that clause would be included, so they can cover themselves in the future. Having said that, terminating employment isn't that cut and dried these days.

Thanks for the reply! So can I just confirm what would happen in this particular situation?

You say that you would perform reference checks or cold call past employers. So just say somebody puts on their resume that they currently work a job with X company for X amount of time, and they have an actual reference for that job (let's say the owner/manager of that company). You would call that reference to confirm employment and ask some typical questions about the nature of employment etc, and that would normally end there? They could do the odd google search that would come up with nothing, but there's nothing else legally (or illegally) they can do to confirm employment from their end?

A ref check, failing that if you don't have any you might provide character refs or educational. But sometimes they might just call an old employer and ask about you so it's best you be proactive and give them someone to call.

So somebody could theoretically put their friends business on their resume with their friend as the reference, and that's that. I suppose that makes sense though, for some reason I thought that there was more that a person could do, but that's not the case. I guess one way they can be stitched up is if the company hires Johnny, but soon find out that he can't do programming after all!

A ref check, failing that if you don't have any you might provide character refs or educational. But sometimes they might just call an old employer and ask about you so it's best you be proactive and give them someone to call.

I have worked for 4 companies over the last two years, and have solid references from 3 of those companies, including current job. I am a touch worried about the last one I left for this current job. When I told him I was leaving he was not happy, we got into it and I basically told him that he didn't know how to run a business. I won't be calling him. If I have 3 glowing references, what is the likelihood of a company taking the time to cold call the 4th company?

So somebody could theoretically put their friends business on their resume with their friend as the reference, and that's that. I suppose that makes sense though, for some reason I thought that there was more that a person could do, but that's not the case. I guess one way they can be stitched up is if the company hires Johnny, but soon find out that he can't do programming after all!
You could & many do but its not the best option, you may however see if you could do some work exp so it becomes a legit ref.
I have worked for 4 companies over the last two years, and have solid references from 3 of those companies, including current job. I am a touch worried about the last one I left for this current job. When I told him I was leaving he was not happy, we got into it and I basically told him that he didn't know how to run a business. I won't be calling him. If I have 3 glowing references, what is the likelihood of a company taking the time to cold call the 4th company?
Get a competent friend or your dad to call up & do a ref check, make sure they ask all the questions that will allow him to be negative if he intends to do so. Two is usually good three gives them options but you may want to call him just in case to see what he'd say. If you don't want them to call that employer no matter what then just give the impression you are still there & don't want them to know you are seeking other employment as it might jepordise you position with them.

Always good to word up you good refs too that they may get a call.

Get a competent friend or your dad to call up & do a ref check, make sure they ask all the questions that will allow him to be negative if he intends to do so. Two is usually good three gives them options but you may want to call him just in case to see what he'd say. If you don't want them to call that employer no matter what then just give the impression you are still there & don't want them to know you are seeking other employment as it might jepordise you position with them.

Always good to word up you good refs too that they may get a call.

I have already worded up my references, including my current boss. Problem with that job I quit is that it was well over a year ago now, so no go with that idea about implying that I still work there, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. Plus, if I have my current boss as a reference, that idea goes out the window. If it comes down to it that they call him, after contacting my 3 references, then good luck to them (can't see them working that hard to be honest!)

I have already worded up my references, including my current boss. Problem with that job I quit is that it was well over a year ago now, so no go with that idea about implying that I still work there, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. Plus, if I have my current boss as a reference, that idea goes out the window. If it comes down to it that they call him, after contacting my 3 references, then good luck to them (can't see them working that hard to be honest!)
Yeah I'd be surprised if they went passed two to be honest, some recruitment agencies will do three but four is a stretch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back