Discussion How do we beat geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

WASaintsFan08

Team Captain
Feb 28, 2008
Western Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
I believe the best option may be attacking football.... playing riewoldt closer to the goal square hence making scarlett more accountable... bring kosi upto half forward and hope he gets going and busts a few packs open...

through the midfield id say regularly rotate opps to make geelong feel abit unsettled through the middle

and keep gram as open as possible for his long driving kick and attack on the ball

keep a close tag on all fowards to make them accountable in our back line hence pushing them wide when they do have shots on goal with the spare man pushing around the middle of the 50so it can be centred and quickly exited out

any thoughts?

I dont think I can answer this question seriously.

Throw puffydogs at em!

Blackmail the umpires, arrange a 'Harding' kneecap on Ablett, Bartel, Ottens and Ling, put up a freeway blockage sunday morning on Geelong Highway, play a 30 man team and see if they will allow you to borrow Buddy Franklin for a day and then maybe you guys will be in with a show.

I dont think I can answer this question seriously.
Throw puffydogs at em!

lol

No way you beat Geelong in offence. The best way to beat Geelong, is tight defensive pressure all over the ground, ask Collingwood. Dont you guys remember Pies beating Cats by 70 points. Best tackling game I have ever seen EVER! Dunno if you guys saw it but it was an unbelievable game by Collingwood. The never let the Cats breath for 2 secs. Geelong got the ball and then 3 collingwood players attacked him straight away. Geelong had no room to move, as it is obvious they love to play on and run. Pies took that out of the cats game with hard fast defensive tackling every where, and thats how were gonna beat Geelong.

Frustrate the hell out of them.
Play them at their own game. Block their forwards half and run it down fast.
Skills need to be clean, geelong thrive off turnovers.
We stayed with them until half time but their fitness and superiority blew us off.
4 qtr effort from every single player. 22 players accountable for their opponent. Taking every oppurtunity we get. Kicking 21 behinds ain't gonna cut it.

It's gonna take something special...

Do not go up the corridor unless it's a no risk option.

Tackle, bite, and generally maim.

And do some _ucking proper goalkicking practice with someone who knows what they are doing.

And play X.

1. run, chase and tackle like never before

2. play confident and smart footy

3. if and when tired : do what Harvey would do

play our own game. frustrate them into playing the man rather than the ball. nothing to lose.

if we can get our rivalry back that will be the start of it. somebody said tackle hard, and that is exactly it.

forward line pressure put pressure on when we havent got the ball we must try and force errors out of their defensive 25 cant let them set up near the wings their onballers score most of their goals try and bloke them 60 out from their line one on one shouldnt be a problem with their forwards

just kick straight... i didnt watch the game u last played them cos i was at a melb game at the time but i do remember seeing the scores at the start were u guy were a couple of goals at quater time... and when u look at the score u only had 1 less scoring shot...

i am on the saints banwagon for the finals and i think u will be there on sept 27...

go sainters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong's defenders always seem to enjoy their days against St. Kilda's forward line. Blokes like Scarlett, Milburn, Harley have been afforded too much leniency in the past against you guys. Forward pressure and making them accountable is crucial to having any chance of success. That is where our run starts, and if you can hurt their influence on the game you can slow us down... somewhat. :p If those guys get the ball rolling early and their confidence is up, just as it was in the finals last year, you will be blown away, because once they're out they are near impossible to reign in.

I think there will need to be another big bodied forward present up there. Alot of ball is directed through Riewoldt and as good as he's been the 2nd half of the year, he isn't the type to kick an amazing bag of 7-8 and single- handedly get his side over the line on Geelong's backline. Kosi or someone, I'm not sure what the options are, will need to occupy a Taylor or Scarlett to make them defend hard and not be allowed easy run from defence. Roo cannot do it by himself as he has of late.

Kosi will be crucial IMO, if he can lift he is a gamebreaker to match any and would be no easy beat for Scarlett or Taylor depending on where Riewoldt plays. He has to have a decent day and be a formidable presence at FF, even if he doesn't kick many goals, make sure his opponent can't run off, crash packs, draw the ball in dangerous areas. Scarlo has monstered Gerhig for years, so if the Saints are getting the ball down there he needs to capitalise on his opponents lack of nous playing on him.

The Saints intrigue me, you never know how they will come out. They can be awesome and beat anyone if they want to, but then again look terrible a week later. I expect Geelong to win reasonably comfortably but if the Saints aren't fired up this week, they never will be.

Gram in the middle is giving you something, bit of pace and direct football. i would love him at Carlton.
Kossi needs to play a two pronged attack with reiwoldt, Geelong lack tall defenders, Scarlett, Harley, Milburn, Hunt, they are all 190cm give or take a bit (Hunt is obviously smaller than that).

Midfield needs to have the game of their life. Dal needs to get 30 touches and hit passes lace out.

The worst thing the Saints could do is try to stop the Geelong midfield. The fact of the matter is you are probably going to lose; at least lose having a dip.

To be honest though, the worst thing Saints could do is beat Geelong, would guarantee no one will get close to them for at least the next 3 games, and probably another season. Just let them win, build up a bit of confidence, then beat them when it matters, 27th of Sep.

Geelong's defenders always seem to enjoy their days against St. Kilda's forward line. Blokes like Scarlett, Milburn, Harley have been afforded too much leniency in the past against you guys.

That has probably been our biggest improvement this year. Lost games to Bulldogs and Geelong based on their run from the backline.

Clearances were clearly in St. Kilda's favour the last time we played (round 4), but the scoreline obviously went Geelong's way, largely due to their run from the backline.

The biggest turnaround was when Gehrig went onto the LTI list. While he was a champion player, his defensive efforts in the F50 meant that the whole front 6 was able to be exploited. I remember that match against Geelong, Gehrig was just about worst on ground, and his opponent Scarlett BOG. Now he's been replaced by Charlie Gardiner, which you blokes know is not much chop, but he adds stability to that forward line, and working in combination can lock that ball in the F50 fairly well.

I think the clearances will be in Geelong's favour this time around though, especially if Luke Ball misses. Both teams could well hit the 400 disposal mark.

To be honest though, the worst thing Saints could do is beat Geelong, would guarantee no one will get close to them for at least the next 3 games, and probably another season. Just let them win, build up a bit of confidence, then beat them when it matters, 27th of Sep.

I actually agree with that.

Get smashed, but as long as we dont let them know how we're gonna play it doesnt matter does it?

But then I wouldn't trust us to get to the Granny lol.

Win at all costs, make the Granny and then... I dunno. Win it?

If we get our pschology right it is possible. The worst thing we can do it worry about how we can beat them. Process beats them, it can beat anyone. Notwithstanding the fact all the pressure is on them.

I believe the best option may be attacking football.... playing riewoldt closer to the goal square hence making scarlett more accountable... bring kosi upto half forward and hope he gets going and busts a few packs open...

through the midfield id say regularly rotate opps to make geelong feel abit unsettled through the middle

and keep gram as open as possible for his long driving kick and attack on the ball

keepa close tag on all fowards to make them accountable in our back line hence pushing them wide when they do have shots on goal with the spare man pushing around the middle of the 50so it can be centred and quickly exited out

any thoughts?

for a start, if you want to go down the path of having a spare man in defence, that means either Scarlett or Milburn will be playing as a loose man in our defence, and that would be caotic for your forward line, So i would definately try and avoid that.

Rotating your midfielders wont make a slim pickings difference, we have about 6-8 guys who we can play in the midfield, it is impossible to tire us out when we have so much depth and options of tallent to fiddle around with.

I agree that probably the onli real thing you guys can expose is Taylor in defence, But the thing about that is over the past few weeks Taylor has been just playing to gain valuable experience, But come finals we will be paying opposition more respect, if you are getting ontop of Taylor we will not sit around and leave him their, he will be off and someone else more senior will replace him.

We have won 21 out of a possible 22 games this year with a percentage of 162... we are top of the ladder by 4 games

your a good football team, but i think the only way this is going to happen is if Geelong loose the game themselves and don't turn up to play, not St Kilda beating Geelong.

Hoo-fuc£ing-rah!

Pressure builds, especially when expectation accompanies and a win is treated not as a win but a requirement. Are you seriously suggesting there is any pressure on StKilda? Structures collapse from tiny unseen cracks spreading...

No doubt you are favourites but you are not unbeatable, nobody is.

We have won 41 games out of 43, i dont think mentaly their is any problems on the horizon for us, records tell me that we are quite stable and consistent..

41 out of 43 is history now.

Everything starts again - The Saints and Geelong are on equal footing.

The winner gets a week break before being in the thick of it again in a prelim final, the loser get a home elim final for the right to an prelim final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back