Discussion How do we beat Hawthorn on Saturday?

Remove this Banner Ad

kosifan23

Debutant
Sep 2, 2008
Townsville, Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Storm, Raiders
A couple of questions came to me as I saw the final score last night:

Q: Who will play on Lance Franklin?

Q: Can all the young players step up or will they shatter under pressure?

Q: What are the main things we need to do to win?

I think Sam Fisher will get the first go on Buddy.

I think they might be a big nervous, but they all know how special it is for Harves, so I think they'll step up higher than ever before.

Shut down all the forwards, backs, rucks, and midfielders.

A couple of questions came to me as I saw the final score last night:

Q: Who will play on Lance Franklin?

Q: Can all the young players step up or will they shatter under pressure?

Q: What are the main things we need to do to win?

I think Sam Fisher will get the first go on Buddy.

I think they might be a big nervous, but they all know how special it is for Harves, so I think they'll step up higher than ever before.

Shut down all the forwards, backs, rucks, and midfielders.

- Maxy will get the gig on Franklin and shut him down (I believe he could do it anyday) Fisher wont get the gig unless Maxy isnt having a good night, Fisher is used as an extra midfielder basically we need his run.

- Our young fellas are capable of handling pressure (it seems to get put on us week in week out anyway)
If we just play like we did against the pies we're sweet (hard at it, first in for the ball) then we'll crack the Hawks open like we did last time.

Max is so underrated even our own supporters forget about him. Thrashed Buddy last time. The key is to have Max spoiling (and with his closing speed he should be able to beat Buddy in the air) and then extra numbers crumbing around the contest to stop Buddy at ground level. But of course if the supply is good there won't be too much Max can do to stop him, and that of course is the key.

Last time we dominated out of the centre after half time, taking the game on and entering the 50 at whim. Dunno what we did right, we just caught them on the back foot got a run on and never looked back. Dal Santo had a big game then and this week so he will be important.

im still quite bemused why fisher and blake keep gettin talked up as the men to man franklin... did noone watch the last match where maxy stitched him up. we need fishers run and carry and blake probably to take roughie. def maxie first up then if that fails sammy. we just have to match their midfields run and i think we can do that with grammy and goddard running of the flanks and im hopin x comes back in. Our forward line looks much better with the 5 guys in there like last night with plenty of space for roo and kozi

Maxy should be given the nod first for Buddy, is all else fails, turn to Fisher. Blake on Roughead and Gilbert on Williams, Raph on Osbourne.

Our answer??

Milne:
I can't see a great matchup for him, especially if Brown goes to Roo, so he may well be the key to a big win, if he can manage to kick a bag.

Goddard:
Chances are, unless Dal Santo absolutely fires, Sewel will sit on him, and minimise his use of the ball. This is where Goddard steps up. With God-like disposal, his the perfect substitute for Dal Santo. The play maker.

Gram:
We need his run from the back line, especially to break through 'Clarko's Cluster.'

Hayes:
Vital role in the centre. Needs to have a big game in that square to stop the likes of Mitchell/Hodge gaining first use after stoppages.

- Maxy will get the gig on Franklin and shut him down (I believe he could do it anyday) Fisher wont get the gig unless Maxy isnt having a good night, Fisher is used as an extra midfielder basically we need his run.

- Our young fellas are capable of handling pressure (it seems to get put on us week in week out anyway)
If we just play like we did against the pies we're sweet (hard at it, first in for the ball) then we'll crack the Hawks open like we did last time.

Believe he could do it anyday?! Onya! You've gotta be kidding pal...

If our defensive matchups are leaning in favour of the saints, they must stop hodge from cutting off leads of Reiwoldt etc. He does it week in week out, leaves his opponent and cuts off leads, if he's allowed to do it against the saints you'll struggle imo.
With Hodge, last time he was your only decent midfielder. His kicks were damaging and he kicked a goal or two that kept you in it. Will Clarko leave him down back knowing we didn't match up well on him last time?

With Hodge, last time he was your only decent midfielder. His kicks were damaging and he kicked a goal or two that kept you in it. Will Clarko leave him down back knowing we didn't match up well on him last time?

We were fielding a lot of the kids last time and playing Changa and Mitchell in the back pocket, so not sure it is an accurate barometer. Sewell was coming back from injury last time and didn't have much of a say. Also had Crawf out.

Expect Browny to play forward and Hodge back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Round 16 we played insipid footy in the first half, similar to the Hawks match at the MCG last year.
We had no confidence, which meant we had no run.
Hawthorn was looking for an easy win, maybe they were in the middle of a tough couple of weeks on the training track.
They were also missing opportunities to put us out of the game. But given we were playing so badly it didn't seem to worry them.
Then after half time, led by Roo and Ball and Hayes in the middle, we won the contested ball and smashed them all over the ground.
The improvement between our intensity and importantly confidence from the first half was miraculous.
It shocked the Hawks and they couldn't keep up.

Buddy wont just play out of the square again, Hudgeton will be exposed if he pushes up the ground. But I fully expect Fisher to take him if he does.

Hudgeton will take either Buddy or Roughy, depending on who is playing out of the square.

Max is so underrated even our own supporters forget about him. Thrashed Buddy last time. The key is to have Max spoiling (and with his closing speed he should be able to beat Buddy in the air) and then extra numbers crumbing around the contest to stop Buddy at ground level. But of course if the supply is good there won't be too much Max can do to stop him, and that of course is the key.

Last time we dominated out of the centre after half time, taking the game on and entering the 50 at whim. Dunno what we did right, we just caught them on the back foot got a run on and never looked back. Dal Santo had a big game then and this week so he will be important.
I Highlighted the words in bold as I belive that the centre clearances in this game are going to be the most crucial factor for both sides. Obviously, they generally are but the focus in the media shall be "how do saints stop buddy?". This IMO is wrong. The focus should be how do the Saints stop the Hawthorn midfield - Franklin is only as important as the blokes kicking it to him. In years to come he may be able to get round this by effectively heading up the ground if his midfield is choked, however at the moment the absolute key to beating the Hawks and negating Franklin, Roughead and Williams is to choke the midfield through close attention and hard tackling much the same way we did against Collingwood on Saturday night. It sounds obvious but I think the media are going to bypass this for headlines of "Buddy vs. Roo" etc and totally miss the obvious.
In short, we do what we did last time and the Hawks are quite beatable. Oh, and if Franklin is kept to 3 goals like last time that's not too bad as cos he kicked 100 in the regular season his game average is higher than that.

how good buddy must be for you all to consider he got smashed on a night when he manages three majors...

Lol, gee you're really obsessed over him?

No sh!t 3 goals is a happy return for the opposition. Keeping ANY FF, let alone somone as good as Lance, is a good return. 3 goals, is yes, getting SMASHED. E.G: 3 x 22 = 66... He kicked 100 odd goals, so 3 is a fine return.

He isn't the first to dominate the league so, and he won't be the last. Get ya hand off it kid

If you're old enough, you'll remember a bloke called Lockett.

No sh!t 3 goals is a happy return for the opposition. Keeping ANY FF, let alone somone as good as Lance, is a good return. 3 goals, is yes, getting SMASHED. E.G: 3 x 22 = 66... He kicked 100 odd goals, so 3 is a fine return.

He isn't the first to dominate the league so, and he won't be the last. Get ya hand off it kid

Why compare him to Lockett why not compare him to a premiership player like Carey or Dunstall.

WE ARE GOING TO SMASH YOU

Irrespective of the year he has had three goals is a good return from a FF anyone save for franklin and fevola are spoken of as having had a good day with three goals. I'm not saying he did have a great day just that its abit rich to say that maxy "thashed" or "shut him down" though he probably did get the honors on the day (with support and limited supply to franklin) I think saying things like that is getting a little carried away.

And I do vaugley remember a bloke called lockett playing second fiddle to a guy called Dunstall!

Why compare him to Lockett why not compare him to a premiership player like Carey or Dunstall.

WE ARE GOING TO SMASH YOU

Thanks for the fine contribution princess.

I am amazed by the amount of Hawthorn supporting idiots

Hahaha. All teams have them brother. There's only so many mentally stable supporters a side can carry.

Franlin is the best FF in the comp. We did a relatively good job holding him last time we played, but he still took alot of marks that game and he missed alot of goals, so i say we were lucky it was only 3. Respect.
IMO Hutchy is playing injured and for the last few weeks hasnt been running well, he wont be able to play on Buddy. Fisher should go to him, and hopefully hold him to under 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back