How do we counter the Sydney flood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watch last weeks game vs the Magpies. They had 12 players in the opposite forward fifty at times. Considering how our forwards like their space, it's going to be a massive test for both the coaches and players alike.

Add to that the fact that the SCG is a tiny ground - and we will have trouble countering this tactic.

Interesting, but it's a very physically draining style of play that I daresay will not hold us in good stead going into the first week of the finals.

I say we just man up from the beginning - and get Clinton Young to lurk around the outskirts of the forward fifty. ;)

I probably should have explained more! Let me elaborate Phil.. :)

We are soo much more dominant when we play on because opposition backman have a much more difficult chance of containing our forwards.. Buddy, Roughy ect! Also it gets the ball into our attacking 50 faster disallowing the Sydney midfielders to flood back in time for a Hawthorn attack.

The key to playing on at all time's, is a consistent performance from the whole team!! If ever player contributes, each performing their bit, this style is easily accountable to penetrate the Sydny flood! :)

However, if an even contribution from all players doesn't eventuate, Sydneys game plan will eventually get the better of us!

Pfft.. no chance! Hawks will win by 5 goals! I promise. :p

Super quick ball movement through the guts via our myriad hard running linkage players like Changa, Crawf, Lewy (I noticed he was doing more of that on Sunday), Youngy, Crusher etc etc....

As long as we don't fall into the trap and start chipping sideways and backwards we will win. They can block up our forward line, but it's not as though they have only one player to concentrate. We have four fast leading forwards, and that should be enough to kixk a winning score.
Buddy to kick seven!

As long as we don't fall into the trap and start chipping sideways and backwards we will win. They can block up our forward line, but it's not as though they have only one player to concentrate. We have four fast leading forwards, and that should be enough to kixk a winning score.
Buddy to kick seven![/quote]

Goals I hope.....

All this confidence makes me nervous.

I don't want Goodes to get 300 touches by playing a loose man in defence, any way we can combat Goodes? He really is an awesome player, he needs to be stopped even if he's in a defensive role.

Smaller ground at the SCG can help their style of play rather than ours as they don't have as much room to move in the forward 50. However I would be interested to see as a percentage how many of our goals come from the 50+ area, It seems to be quiet a lot. So give it to Hodgey or Young and we should be right. If we keep our run and carry from the half back like we have the last few weeks they won't have a chance. They can double team Buddy with a loose player in defence but there is always Roughie, Boyle and Dixon.

We should be right, I am confident and I will be away camping so I won't hear the result until Sunday night - hope it is a good one and we have Geelong first weekend at the G

Collingwood play smart footy.

We need to be disciplined and hang on to the ball. Let Goodes get his thirty touches in the backline it did not hurt the pies.

Kick straight and no stupid frees.

I don't want Goodes to get 300 touches by playing a loose man in defence, any way we can combat Goodes? He really is an awesome player, he needs to be stopped even if he's in a defensive role.

Its getting a little strange man. Seriously just a tad. He is a great player and we all agree his 2 charlies are impressive. But its getting a bit scary. Do you have a crush on him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its getting a little strange man. Seriously just a tad. He is a great player and we all agree his 2 charlies are impressive. But its getting a bit scary. Do you have a crush on him?

Players that don't have 2 charlies:
Voss
Black
Hird
Buckley
Crawford
Cousins
Judd

The guy is a machine.

Players that do have 2 charlies:
Greg Williams
Ian Stewert
Can't really think of any more

But no, I don't have a crush on him.

By not getting sucked into playing the way they want, like last time. We have superior fitness and skills, use them. Swans are looking stale, I reckon, and ripe for the plucking!

It will come down to the movement of the ball, the only time Collingwood did any damage was when rebounding out of defence and they were helped by the Swans playing lazy football in their forward 50.

Swans just refuse to move the ball with any kind of purpose or speed which allows teams to flood back against them so I think it is going to be a bit of a scrap fought between two heavily congested half backs, it is where both teams tend to generate a lot of their disposal and run through the middle from.

They are prone to dropping their guard early in games, we piled on I think 7 or 8 goals in the first quarter against them and they eventually choked up the game but the damage was already done.

Hawks I think would need to establish a good early lead and attack swiftly before they settle into their flood.

I may be mad but I don't think that Sydney flood back as much as flood the contest. They always have a lot of people around the ball.

That means that if you can clear the ball fast from the contest you should have space.

How it seems to me anyway.

I may be mad but I don't think that Sydney flood back as much as flood the contest. They always have a lot of people around the ball.

That means that if you can clear the ball fast from the contest you should have space.

How it seems to me anyway.

I didn't see the Collingwood Swans match last week, but I've heard a lot about the umpires "anti-tagging" efforts where they pinged Sydney for a lot of frees around packs for tackling too early.

I wonder if that will continue? Because our best asset is our ability to move the ball quickly i think.

My question would be how do Sydney counter our form against the Doggies?

I probably should have explained more! Let me elaborate Phil.. :)

We are soo much more dominant when we play on because opposition backman have a much more difficult chance of containing our forwards.. Buddy, Roughy ect! Also it gets the ball into our attacking 50 faster disallowing the Sydney midfielders to flood back in time for a Hawthorn attack.

The key to playing on at all time's, is a consistent performance from the whole team!! If ever player contributes, each performing their bit, this style is easily accountable to penetrate the Sydny flood! :)

However, if an even contribution from all players doesn't eventuate, Sydneys game plan will eventually get the better of us!

Pfft.. no chance! Hawks will win by 5 goals! I promise. :p

Last time you said i promise we did win!!I hope it happens again!p.s That was before the bombers game!:thumbsu:In a concerned thread about boyle,buddy and mitchell perhaps not playing!PLAY ON I SAY,LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

Kirk, Jude Bolton, Mcveigh, Ablett and Mathews, stop them GAME OVER...

They are very good around the ball but we'll have too many runners ..

Need to be disciplined and no silly free kicks Hawthon by 72 points...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back