Strategy How do we cover for Caddy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
We use the wings so differently to other sides in the comp. They're not used so much as midfielders, as we push two more forwards up for numbers in there. They're used more as two extra half back flankers. As such, there's a certain skillset required to play wing for us. The two main criteria are that you need to be really fit and strong overhead.

We've trialled a fair few guys up there in recent times: Short, Graham, Pickett, Baker, Broad and most recently Castagna.

Short seems to get lost on the wing and doesn't have the same impact as he does in defense with a direct opponent.

Graham and Pickett seem more suited to working in congestion (although, in different ways to each other).

Castagna actually played the role pretty well in the second half last night, but his chaos ball use and decision making makes him a liability when he has to support the defense.

Baker was great offensively when he played the role in preseason, but he's the smallest guy on the team so he's not going to give the kind of aerial support that you see from Caddy and McIntosh running back.

Broad has all of the right attributes to excel in the role, but for some reason like Short above he just gets a bit lost up the ground and looks uncomfortable around stoppages (see his first quarter a few weeks ago when he was used in the ruck).

I think next week I'd probably start with Broad initially to give him another chance to shine in the role without having to worry about going into the ruck, and if that doesn't work I'd revert to Baker as we did against Collingwood in preseason.

A really good question that I don’t have the answer to. All I know if that Broad ain’t it in my opinion. He plays his current role well right now and I just want to leave him there. Perhaps Naish?
Tbh I don't think Naish is going to be around long term. He's too outside.

He's more your regular winger, racks up lots of ball on the outside and used mainly offensively. We don't play that role in our team, and I don't think he can do the Caddy role with his skillset.

He's more your regular winger, racks up lots of ball on the outside and used mainly offensively. We don't play that role in our team, and I don't think he can do the Caddy role with his skillset.
Yeah understandable. I personally don’t know so I’m interested to see what others think

Personally I hope that turns out to be a bit of a harsh assessment. He can, and does at times play a more contested game and is being coached to be more of that. He's certainly good on the outside in VFL. The kid who had an appetite for game play like Caddy was 28, Fraser Turner. He has courage too. Cumberland would be perfect in a couple of years if he recovers OK. Will Martyn might be an interesting one too, but he might be another season off yet. Isn't it nice to have options that don't have to be rushed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I hope that turns out to be a bit of a harsh assessment. He can, and does at times play a more contested game and is being coached to be more of that. He's certainly good on the outside in VFL. The kid who had an appetite for game play like Caddy was 28, Fraser Turner. He has courage too. Cumberland would be perfect in a couple of years if he recovers OK. Will Martyn might be an interesting one too, but he might be another season off yet. Isn't it nice to have options that don't have to be rushed!

Dont think theres any options let outside of the kids

Turner is a good about

Baker pushing higher if Astbury is fit sound sensible if hes fit

Based on on the Giants tall forwardline I think we’ll see Astbury come in and Baker move to the wing with a bit of rotation from Castagna and Bolton.

However, we won’t have the requirement for such a tall side every week. I’d absolutely love to see Patrick Naish get a run of s few games in the senior side to show what he’s got.

Does this mean he is better suited to a Half Forward Flank?

Not the greatest loss compared to others, hasn't been in his best form, I'd expect with some adjustments and tweaks we can cover quite easily. Caddy in 2020 isn't a critically important player.
Experience...that's what we lose with Caddy...something that is lacking with all our current outs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back