How do we fix our clubs culture?

Remove this Banner Ad

The best teams have enforcers I truly can't pick one, tex was but has pulled back I think I could handle him being suspended for a couple if he plays on the edge we have not one player playing on the edge are we crowbars again.

We have none in the twos either this is the biggest concern

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We don't agree terribly often but I think you're spot on.

Our club and especially the players and coaches are more interested in being friends than winning flags, just look at the pathetic way the players still dawn over dangerfield

You can still do that, look at the way Vince smashes us every time we play him but is still good mates with the boys

Hodge plays like that also he smashes players but would still have a beer with them after

They need white line fever

That's what I'm asking I guess. How did it get here and how do we fix it.. because I'm at a genuine loss.

Easy answer, Trigg.

All he was after was us to be competitive and just make the finals so he could smooze our sponsors, play safe so we didn't drop down the ladder.

He wanted to rock up to our games knowing we could win, imagine him over seeing a genuine rebuild. He would have nightmares going to our games with his corporate mates and us getting pumped week in week out.

Bill and Bob would never have allowed what has occurred over the last 15 years, ******* embarrassing - and Chapman is just as culpable, clueless numpty.

Easy answer, Trigg.

All he was after was us to be competitive and just make the finals so he could smooze our sponsors, play safe so we didn't drop down the ladder.

He wanted to rock up to our games knowing we could win, imagine him over seeing a genuine rebuild. He would have nightmares going to our games with his corporate mates and us getting pumped week in week out.

Bill and Bob would never have allowed what has occurred over the last 15 years, ******* embarrassing - and Chapman is just as culpable, clueless numpty.
Yep Bill and Bob facilitated Blight and allowed the great purge of 1997. We lack that kind of football leadership at board level now.

Th Crows culture is a symptom of the SA fear of offending anyone or failing.

The same culture which keeps an incompetent corrupt ALP in charge, and does things like temporary grandstands at the Clipsal, archaic trading hours and curfews at the airport.

Off the top of my head:
- volunteer penalties on the Tippett deal in order to appease AFL who gave their own penalties on top anyway
- accepted the first pathetic deal Geelong offered for Danger fearing we might not get anything for him, and he's such a great bloke we want to help him out (Geelong admitted later they were prepared to give up 2 first round picks for him)
- not trade for Gibbs expecting to get him without giving anything up

The only ballsy thing we did was sack Sando and bring in Walsh

Well now, Walsh is dead and the "kingmaker" Roo who we all felt was the one being "ruthless" turns out is just keen to get his mates involved, keep his cushie media work and earn millions from pokies, and hard decisions again are hard work.

To quote Jack Nicholson: what if this is as good as it gets?

Stands out a mile, jobs for the boys including most of the bloody board who just about all come from the big boys club of the North Adelaide branch.
Blakey used to do a phone in voice as Charles Herringbone and call us the lovely boys.

That's our culture.

chant night.

That's our culture.

Unchanged line up.

That's our culture.

Bring Bec Goddard and some of the girls in. They were tough, hard at the ball, and very intent on winning. Maybe some of that will rub off.
We'll bring them down to our level just give us time

unless the club wins a premiership a lot of people on this board would say No regardless of what the club does.

Not so, were the board accountable to the membership there would be no possible doubt as to the targets set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its the reality though and wasnt trying to be disrespectful, just saying i believed in his approach a lot more. I am not jumping off from Pyke though and will wait to see the outcome of the next 2 years before judging him harshly.
I was skeptical of Walsh at the time, but believe much of his work has been justified with hindsight.

The main source of my ire is that I see a lot of "Phil Walsh would never allow this!" comments criticising certain tactical or strategic choices, and the club's response to results. As if this wasn't the man who justified his failure to tag Nat Fyfe, by literally claiming that it achieved some sort of higher football goal beyond victory.

the joys of hindsight I wish I had. I see what you did there. To me this result was the worst for the season. So much to play for and we didn't turn up. That's what really hurts and frustrates the supporters. Surely now though, Mackay is out.

Nah I honestly think we did turn up but Geelong have got our players, style and game plan Sussed right out. And we don't have the grunt or plan to enable us with them. (And others).

I called for this a few years ago - bring in Mark Williams.
Controversial I know, but he is an expert at developing an 'us v them' culture. He will piss lots of people off (good) and rub many the wrong way (also good). He will upset the apple cart (perfect).

We need a tough screw you attitude around the club. He is the one guy I would target and happily give a significant role to.

We have gone down this nice path as long as we can. Time to get ruthless.

But, but, but........God help us!

This one absolutely bugs the s**t out of me. So many of our guys just sag off waiting for the handball receive back instead of trying to open up an acre of space for their teammate, or let him get a clear disposal by laying a shepherd. Like, if you handpass to Cameron, he's off, don't worry about the receive back, hit his man to give him enough space and he's off.

What is worse is the player in some clear space moving with vision in our offensive direction, who then hand passes to a player facing the opposite direction and then stops so as not to receive back and does not provide any shepherd. How can this be tolerated ???

Stands out a mile, jobs for the boys including most of the bloody board who just about all come from the big boys club of the North Adelaide branch.
Jobs for the boys happens EVERYWHERE

I have been a disappointed supporter for many years.

Right now we're sitting in 2nd spot and 8-3. Our job is not yet done.

The second half of the season is going to be a lot tougher. Let's aim to try and go 8-3 again, we need the grit, determination and hunger in order to finish in the top 4 (1st to 4th on the ladder) this year. I want a hard hitting and fearless culture to this club who feeds off the criticism and delivers and I want to see the players enjoy the game. I expect every team in the AFL this season to lose at least 5 games, it is a very hard to predict season and it is so wide open.

As I said at the start of the season, this year was not going to be easy. Games are earned, not given.

The best teams have enforcers I truly can't pick one, tex was but has pulled back I think I could handle him being suspended for a couple if he plays on the edge we have not one player playing on the edge are we crowbars again.

We have none in the twos either this is the biggest concern

Jack Viney is exactly the type of player that we lack.

Looking back the Crows were also stupid to have not tried to nab Sam Mitchell out of the Eagles clutches, I know he only has a season or two left, but that's the guy that could have deliver us a flag and given us the hard edge that we're lacking.

Jack Viney is exactly the type of player that we lack.

Looking back the Crows were also stupid to have not tried to nab Sam Mitchell out of the Eagles clutches, I know he only has a season or two left, but that's the guy that could have deliver us a flag and given us the hard edge that we're lacking.
Fat lot of good he's doing West Coast. The guy is a genuine gun of the comp but his total lack of accountability wouldn't help.

Jordan Lewis on the other hand......

Fat lot of good he's doing West Coast. The guy is a genuine gun of the comp but his total lack of accountability wouldn't help.

Jordan Lewis on the other hand......

Getting 30+ every week

Also worth noting too that different players fit differently into different systems. Mitchell has the run and carry and toughness which is exactly the type of midfielder that we desperately need.

Getting 30+ every week

Also worth noting too that different players fit differently into different systems. Mitchell has the run and carry and toughness which is exactly the type of midfielder that we desperately need.
He's a gun there's no question, but in our setup I'd rather Lewis

This is a good question. First thing i would do is change that ****ed up insipid club song. Its a small thing but goes a long way to explaining our culture problem. I hate it, always have always will and it makes me cringe every time i hear it. Have a song that the players are proud to sing. Even on our best wins the club song is not sung as it should be. Basically the club just needs to be honest with itself and where we are at presently which is a 5th to 8th side. Cut the bullshit spin we hear every week and admit our mistakes and rectify them. I believe there needs to be a review of key decision makers at our club which implements a plan for a next 5 - 10 years. Ultimately comes down to what does our club stand for. Are we happy being the SA equivalent of richmond or do we want something better. Any player that comes through our doors must know that if you play for us you play a certain way or you dont play. That culture starts at selection. The squad needs to be developed not just the 25 that don has faith in. If he doesnt develop players by playing them then his stay at westlakes needs to be shortlived and replaced by a coach and match committee that does.

Last edited:
Questioning our Culture is something that gets rolled out pretty regularly however you spend a little bit of time in Melbourne and you get a feel that the AFC is well respected when it comes to culture and player development

To me the issue is not culture, it is more to do with a lack of top end draft talent

It is no secret that we have had a lack of top 10 draft picks and we have had to rely on developing players outside the high end talent range and players like Laird, JJ, Hartigan, Cameron, Rat , Kelly and now Greenwood are examples of rookie or late draft selections that are developing into AFL quality players

Even the likes of M. Crouch and Sloane were not high end selection and have probably developed as better players then their draft selection may have indicated

With this in mind you look across our list and there is always going to be winners and losers however overall I think that it is somewhat remarkable that for a list of our profile in terms of age and list build that we are even competing at the top end of the table against sides that have had a significant better draft of father-son position then our club

Culture is not the problem as our culture has us competing without the ability to draft in top end talent

What we need is that top end talent either by draft, trade or FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back