Opinion How do we keep all of our KPPs?

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to agree that we will look to trade one of our talls at the end of the season.. and we shouldn't be scared of that.. use it to get a top 10 pick or good (very) quality midfielder...

Sometimes you have to give to get.. and I'm sure the club is already looking at options.

I could see melbourne giving us Picks 2 and 20 for a guy like Gumby or Hooker :)

I couldn't. I wish.

I've been on record saying that we should play Gumby on a wing, like Richo did in '08. He has the tank, and reads the play very well.

But trading one is inevitable. I think we should trade Hooker to St. Kilda because they seriously need someone like him and we can possibly get an upgraded draft pick. Something like:

Hooker + pick 13 for pick 4 as an example

It's threads like these that I miss the old Freo.. the one you could count on to take our left overs...

Old Freo may well have given us Fyfe and Hill for Gumby...

Hooker + pick 13 for pick 4 as an example

They need all the youngsters they can get, they've probably smartened up since they last offered this.

I'm too emotionally invested to want Gumby to go elsewhere, even if it was best for everyone. If he can string a few good games together, then he either earns a new deal or inflates his trade value. Would rather lose Hooker if push came to shove.

If we win 16 games this year, there is going to be players playing VFL for most of it that aren't getting enough opportunities that will make our decision easy. I have no doubt on this.

Right now i dont really care, i want to see them all play and see what they all have to offer!

I'm too emotionally invested to want Gumby to go elsewhere, even if it was best for everyone. If he can string a few good games together, then he either earns a new deal or inflates his trade value. Would rather lose Hooker if push came to shove.

I'd hate to see Gumby go too, but I think it is more likely to happen than Hooker to the Saints and Hurley to the backline.

They need all the youngsters they can get, they've probably smartened up since they last offered this.
Saints need a young-ish and experienced tall defender badly, a guy who can take the monsters and help Stanley to develop. Hooker is the perfect player for that role at the saints. It allows Fisher to play on that Crameri/A Walker type and rebound out of defense, and allows Dempster to play small too

Saints need a young-ish and experienced tall defender badly, a guy who can take the monsters and help Stanley to develop. Hooker is the perfect player for that role at the saints. It allows Fisher to play on that Crameri/A Walker type and rebound out of defense, and allows Dempster to play small too

Wonder if they'll offer us more for him?
They were also keen on Brown from West Coast right?

a 9 pick upgrade in the first round is actually probably a win for us.

I haven't been paying attention to him much but I think I heard he was getting games now and thinking of resigning with the Eagles.

I don't think they'd give a first round pick for Hooker, they'd probably get a mature age guy as a stop gap measure and use one of their early picks for a young KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't been paying attention to him much but I think I heard he was getting games now and thinking of resigning with the Eagles.

I don't think they'd give a first round pick for Hooker, they'd probably get a mature age guy as a stop gap measure and use one of their early picks for a young KPD.
It's not a first round pick. it's a downgraded pick.

I'll settle for Hooker + 31 for 22

It's not a first round pick. it's a downgraded pick.

I'll settle for Hooker + 31 for 22
Yes, that's more realistic. I still think they were mad to offer 25&26 or whatever it was for him. They really must be desperate which is odd these days when you can get a ready made, reasonably talented guy straight out of the VFL/SANFL/WAFL for a pick in the 90s.

Yes, that's more realistic. I still think they were mad to offer 25&26 or whatever it was for him. They really must be desperate which is odd these days when you can get a ready made, reasonably talented guy straight out of the VFL/SANFL/WAFL for a pick in the 90s.
The biggest surprise of the draft I thought was when they didn't draft Trent Shinners from Bendigo/Essendon VFL

The biggest surprise of the draft I thought was when they didn't draft Trent Shinners from Bendigo/Essendon VFL

Speaks volumes about their recruiting. We had a specific need for certain type of player, our recruiters did some searching and bam! Kommer is drafted with a late pick after being on literally nobody else's radar, lines up round 1, performs pretty well and has only missed games cos he got himself suspended.

So Watson spends all this time convincing Hooker and Gumby to stay on, only so we can trade them the following season. Makes me laugh this place.

And why discuss trades when the season isn't even 5 rounds old???

Ah BigFooty at its best....errr worst

And why discuss trades when the season isn't even 5 rounds old???

Ah BigFooty at its best....errr worst

You're totally right, we should stop talking about what you don't want us to talk about.

You're totally right, we should stop talking about what you don't want us to talk about.
We are not even a quarter of the way through the season and you want to talk about trades???

I would have thought with the ASADA crap and the fact that we are playing good footy, that would be enough to talk about at this point in the year.

These threads happen every year and every year they are pointless becasue so much changes as the season wears on. I recognise this is an issue, but it is not an issue right now. It may be come seasons end, but I would hope that is after a full season including finals where we can then assess the state of our list.

I'm tired of speculating about ASADA and how well we're going at the start of a season.
Why not speculate on list improvement and how to focus on keeping our KPP's or which ones to trade?

I'm tired of speculating about ASADA and how well we're going at the start of a season.
Why not speculate on list improvement and how to focus on keeping our KPP's or which ones to trade?
No disagreement on ASADA.

Just saying what has been a common theme on this board for years. So much changes in a season of footy and these threads aren't needed till seasons end (or when our season is effectively over).

The more interesting question at this point in time I would think is who stays and who goes from the best 22 when all are fit i.e. Hurls and Ryder are back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back