Analysis How do we score?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok, so its become abundantly clear that kicking a winning score is going to be a problem. Whilst we have recruited youngsters in Mckay, SOS, and Curnow with a view to bolstering that end of the ground, they will take time.

Despite our lack of goalkicking prowess we do have quite a few options to throw forward. Apart from the usual options, Kruezer, Cripps, Kerridge, Jaksch Gorringe, Clem etc.

Question is. What does our best front 6 look like?. Any left field options? . Can Cas kick 50?. How do we kick a winning score????

We're going to struggle, no doubt.

A fit Walker would be more than handy..................................................................but, his knee.
A beefed up Jaksch would give us marking power and goal-kicking accuracy.............but...............

Casboult will likely not be asked to support ruck, but to be a stay at home forward, with Kreuzer & Phillips supporting him when resting.

Too many variables and none of them particularly mouth-watering right now.

i believe it's about winning the ball through the midfield. we will have a very mobile forward line and look to share the goals. casboult is our get out of trouble long option otherwise we will look to hit targets in space. i expect cripps murphy gibbs thomas smith everitt walker kerridge lamb wright to share a lot of goals

Kick the ball between the big sticks at our end of the field without it touching anything else but air or the ground on the way there.

FMD, doesn't anyone read the rule book anymore?

Kick the ball between the big sticks at our end of the field without it touching anything else but air or the ground on the way there.

FMD, doesn't anyone read the rule book anymore?
Rule book?

I can't make head nor tail of it

th

Last edited:
This year is more about better ball movement into the F50 than kicking huge scores. We don't really have the personnel to be a threat of kicking big scores from individual brilliance (yet). Once we have consistent F50 entries where the forward is actually looked after a little, then the developing guys we have like McKay and Curnow have something to work with in the future.

Doesn't answer the question I know, but the shift in focus is the important thing for mine.

Bulldogs don't have dominate big forwards but play exciting high scoring football. Hawks have won the last three flags getting rid of Buddy and Roughead playing more like a mobile mid/fwd. They rarely have more than 4 players inside the forward half. The modern game is about winning the ball and hanging on to it. Midfielders are more the key than ever. I thought WCE were better last year when they lost some bigger players in the pre season. Casboult as a marking option but the movement of our smalls and midsizes will be the key. I actually don't see it as a big issue.

We're going to struggle, no doubt.

A fit Walker would be more than handy..................................................................but, his knee.
A beefed up Jaksch would give us marking power and goal-kicking accuracy.............but...............

Casboult will likely not be asked to support ruck, but to be a stay at home forward, with Kreuzer & Phillips supporting him when resting.

Too many variables and none of them particularly mouth-watering right now.
Harks, it's important that you know we love and support you no matter what, but we have been concerned for some time now that your use of the elipse has spiralled out of control.

At first it was just occasional usage, and we could live with that...hey, we've all been there brother. But now we can see that it is a genuine dependence and we are scared for you.

Here to talk if you need mate.

#intervention #standbyharker #getaroundhim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harks, it's important that you know we love and support you no matter what, but we have been concerned for some time now that your use of the elipse has spiralled out of control.

At first it was just occasional usage, and we could live with that...hey, we've all been there brother. But now we can see that it is a genuine dependence and we are scared for you.

Right. :) I just like balance and sometimes it separates points and makes for an easier and less cluttered read, but I hear you.

By the way; What's going on between the 'that' and the 'hey' It always starts off like that and before you know it............................................be careful :)

The fact remains that we have a dearth of quality in our forward line and as a result there are a number of positions up for grabs. It will be interesting to see if the new draftees SOS, Curnow etc can capitalise on the opportunity and step up to the plate. Hopefully we've selected the right players and they can fulfill their potential. Time will tell.

For the here and now, I suspect we'll trouble to kick a winning score most weeks. Casboult has shown glimmers of potential but I don't think he's done enough. Everritt impressed me last year and I thought was one of our most consistent performers up forward.

Funny, in many ways our forward line this season reminds me be a bit of when Kreuzer, Hampson and Warnock were coming through back in 08 after Ackland retired. At the time I was curious to see who would make it and deliver on their potential. At various times all three looked decent but in the end only Kreuzer remains and the others ended up not making the impact we'd all hoped for.

What's Harker got to do with the moon crossing the suns path?

Personally, I think we might have to chuck Charlie Curnow down there unless Everitt and Gorringe can make something of it.

Cas is our only real KPF, and Kreuz is much better as a mobile ruck.

Right. :) I just like balance and sometimes it separates points and makes for an easier and less cluttered read, but I hear you.

By the way; What's going on between the 'that' and the 'hey' It always starts off like that and before you know it............................................be careful :)
You do know this will eventually lead to semicolon abuse; possibly colon - and a dash or two of hyphens: life ruined.

Good question, I don't think we'll score a lot of goals. Walker is usually good for a goal. Casboult has never kicked many but should hopefully kick a few. Youngsters like McKay, Curnow and Jaksch will have to be tried but I can't see them kicking many. Mids resting there will have to kick a few. Everitt can kick goals.

It's going to need to be a genuine team effort. The kicking into our forward line will need to drastically improve for anyone to have a chance.

Gallucci looks like he has the ability to play a true small forward role. I think he could sneak a couple goals a game à la Puopolo. But will he get a chance?
In terms of talls, my hopes are on CC and Jaksch, but not sure how much impact they can have this year.
Midfielders will help. Graham's good for a goal or 2 here and there and Murphy is an underrated forward imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back