How do we take the next step to a premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're exaggerating his impact last year

Just one game but he did something in the wing which I haven't seen our normal wingers do. He took off and there were 2 players chasing him, they could not catch him. Was pretty exciting to watch.

I heard an interview with Cameron (gws coach) in the preseason, he was teeing off that 'his reserves midfield was beating up his midfield' it struck me at the time that this was

1) not real good for the younger guys
2) rather inflexible and
3) perhaps this is why Cameron never got the best out of the elite group he had

My fear now is Fagan is the same and well end up with the same result.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it's mainly a confidence under pressure thing and the only thing that will fix it is an away finals win against a top 4 team (not easy).
It’s a game plan thing, zone defence thing, five players against six, Richmond get six uncontested marks, we do a lot of chasing.

I think 2020 we peaked. Probably easy to say since that's the year we won a final.

Hard to see exactly why. Neale and Lyons were a force and it was Andrews best season. Other teams were also more impacted by COVID more than us.

2019 we had an easy draw and played with a lot of confidence

2021 we were impacted a bit more by COVID and a lot more by injury but it was clearly a step back

This year no excuses apart from the Essendon game which was a train wreck. I think a few guys just got a bit older or lost form and the younger guys haven't come one.

It's tricky our best 22 hasn't changed much for a few years and if anything our depth has gone backwards since 2019

I think 2020 we peaked. Probably easy to say since that's the year we won a final.

Hard to see exactly why. Neale and Lyons were a force and it was Andrews best season. Other teams were also more impacted by COVID more than us.

2021 we were impacted a bit more by COVID and a lot more by injury but it was clearly a step back

This year no excuses apart from the Essendon game which was a train wreck. I think a few guys just got a bit older or lost form and the younger guys haven't come one.

It's tricky our best 22 hasn't changed much for a few years and if anything our depth has gone backwards since 2019
2021 we were a bounce of the ball away from a GF appearance IMO, we would have dispatched Port in the Prelim in a similar manner to what the Dogs did.

2021 we were a bounce of the ball away from a GF appearance IMO, we would have dispatched Port in the Prelim in a similar manner to what the Dogs did.

I think we timed our late season run perfectly and still fell short of the Bulldogs at home (with some bad luck from our key forwards)

Apart from the McStay concussion we had everything going right and was still clearly the 3rd best team

When we won that final against Richmond in 2020 it seemed we were a breath away from a flag.

2021 was a heavily impacted covid year where we still seemed reasonably close but not playing as well.

I guess the next few weeks will tell where we are now but that seems a reasonably realistic take on things to me.

I think we timed our late season run perfectly and still fell short of the Bulldogs at home (with some bad luck from our key forwards)

Apart from the McStay concussion we had everything going right and was still clearly the 3rd best team

Hippy ACL has to be thought of too. Still certain that the best footy we've played under Fages was the 11 games we had last year with all 3 talls. 10-1 with an average winning margin of 6 goals and a belting of geelong included in that.

Hippy ACL has to be thought of too. Still certain that the best footy we've played under Fages was the 11 games we had last year with all 3 talls. 10-1 with an average winning margin of 6 goals and a belting of geelong included in that.
Yep, that stretch of games was the best footy we have played since being a top 4 team and with some luck, last year could have beaten anyone bar maybe Melbourne who were unbeatable at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back