How do we take the next step to a premiership?

Could we see a change of role for Jarrod Berry this year
I still think the club will trial a 3rd tall forward in the preseason as i have mentioned in various posts
No reason why Jarrod (or someone else) can't fill this role until Hippy returns after the bye.
However he would have to play that role so no midfield time. Basically taking McStay's usual 3rd tall role
Jarrod at his best is not a huge accumulator of the footy
His best year disposal wise was 2019 having a disposal average of 19.6. (2021: 12.6 disposals, 2020: 15.9 disposals)
Defensively he would hopefully help restrict that opposition move out of our forward half

McStay:- 195 cm & 97 kg
J Berry.:- 193 cm & 89 kg

It's better for Fort / BigO to rotate through the third tall spot in my view.
We have 2 proper rucks now which will be an interesting dynamic for our team.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I still think the club will trial a 3rd tall forward in the preseason as i have mentioned in various posts
No reason why Jarrod (or someone else) can't fill this role until Hippy returns after the bye.
However he would have to play that role so no midfield time. Basically taking McStay's usual 3rd tall role
His best year disposal wise was 2019 having a disposal average of 19.6. (2021: 12.6 disposals, 2020: 15.9 disposals)
Defensively he would hopefully help restrict that opposition move out of our forward half

Ah the old. Look at measurements. Probably tall enough to play as a KPP.

If you want to look at stats. He's averaged 0.1 contested marks in his career and that's without playing on a key defender.

Apart from his height there is absolutely nothing to indicate that he can make it as a third tall in the forward line.

mish33

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
J Bez would be at his best playing a bit like Hermes does where he's defensively accountable in the midfielder but can exploit his oppo with endurance on transition. This or defensive Wing i reckon would not only suit him best, but fit a team need going forwards too. Just need Bez to get fit and stay that way!

Edut: Harmes!

Last edited:

If you want to look at stats. He's averaged 0.1 contested marks in his career and that's without playing on a key defender.

Apart from his height there is absolutely nothing to indicate that he can make it as a third tall in the forward line.

Lewy Taylor takes more contested marks than that!

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Did not say he is playing a KPP. I said he could fill the 3rd tall forward role of McStay until Hippy returns
Playing midfield he is not really in a position to take contested marks
Key forwards don't take many contested marks on average anyhow. Joe's career average 1.6 Hippy 1.0
No set in stone rule that a 3rd tall has to be a great contested mark. Just needs to contest that entry

I am quite happy for talls to take uncontested marks all day.

Our other option is a small/medium forward or a resting ruck
Jarrod because of his height will take the oppositions 3 rd tall defender just like a resting ruck. This helps Jo and McStay not being double teamed
The question is will he kick more goals than say Fort IF he makes the team or a small/medium player
Will he put more pressure on the opposition coming out of our forward zone than a resting ruck if one is played
Will he get more disposals than a resting ruck.
He is more likely to get a stoppage clearance than a resting ruck.
Is he more likely to make more tackles in our forward zone

Playing a 3rd tall from round 1 helps the game plan transition when Hippy returns rather than playing a resting ruck or small/medium forward

I put his measurements for posters or others viewing that may not be aware Jarrod is a fairly big lad for a midfielder

jfn

Boot Studder
Sep 14, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I'd like to see Jarrod Berry as a direct replacement for Birchall across half back. He could regain both form and confidence there. He could play as a rebound defender, lockdown defender, or take on the oppositions third tall. Fort's rotation in the ruck would allow himself or Oscar to ply the third tall on the forward line. Rayner coming back will be like a new mature aged recruit, Neale will be better if injury free, Dev Robertson needs more midfield time to show that he will be a gun. So plenty of midfield options without Berry.

Nuggo

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
Mornington
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Personally I see Jarrod Berry as a battering ram to get the ball going forward from the middle part of the ground. Not sure he has the intercept mark ability and/or finesse kicking skills and/or explosive pace to break defensive forward's lines to find a spot in the backline. He will drop back there to plug holes/guard space or put pressure on but ultimately I don't think it is his bag.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd like to see Jarrod Berry as a direct replacement for Birchall across half back. He could regain both form and confidence there. He could play as a rebound defender, lockdown defender, or take on the oppositions third tall. Fort's rotation in the ruck would allow himself or Oscar to ply the third tall on the forward line. Rayner coming back will be like a new mature aged recruit, Neale will be better if injury free, Dev Robertson needs more midfield time to show that he will be a gun. So plenty of midfield options without Berry.
I think JBez was a defender or spent some time in defence as an underage. Maybe wrong. I think he could be quite useful behind the ball. Can’t see him as a forward.

Last edited:

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
not sure we can count on J Berry goals kicking as well
Him and Clugga both make me super nervous when they kick at goals.
If he actually gets 5-6 games without injury like him in the middle or maybe as other said off HB or wing

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So far we've seen suggestions that Berry could be best M/F, Wing , KPF, pinch hit forward , and backline somewhere.

What about ruck ?

He was going to be our next Captain at one stage and now no one has any idea where he should play.

He seems to have good endurance ,is a big strong guy , but so far isn't outstanding enough at any one thing to be a shoe in for any position.

Let's just get him fit and well ,give him a role that he can cope with and hopefully over time get some confidence back in his body and his game so that he can slot somewhere into the M/F .Which is where I think he will be of most value if he can get his career trajectory back on the path it looked to be going.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Remember Bucks said rucks are overrated, when they lost to us by a point :)
So why not Berry in the ruck :)

Honestly he really needs a full preseason and probably 10 games to really get going
not sure he had that in the last 3 seasons.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
had a few bags also missed a few from 20 out in front
Jarrod Berry has had some shockers when goal kicking
However overall his career total is reasonable with 39 goals 30 behinds
Like everyone else it does not count out of bounds

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If he got confidence in his game back his goalkicking would be fine.

Though like a lot of young players he seems better on the run when he doesn't have too much time to think about it.

Back