How do we want the club to approach the Jack Viney option?

How to deal with the drafting option of Jack Viney if he is nominated by another club at pick 1 or2?

• Take him at pick 3 if hes nominated by another club - he has red and blue blood.

Votes: 49 81.7%
  • Take the best player available - let others take the risk drafting a kid who wants to be a Demon.

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They're bluffing.

Apparently the recruiters think that Viney would be picked up at about 9-10 in the current state of things and to take him at 3 would be doing the club a disservice considering the calibre of the current two top players in this years draft. Sheedy going for him is a pretty big risk if that is the ranking.

Considering the stance the club is taking be it bluff or no. If GWS did take Viney and we did end up letting them have him would we be better off? We'd end up with the number two and three draft picks with a fair chance of Viney coming home in a couple of years.

Considering the stance the club is taking be it bluff or no. If GWS did take Viney and we did end up letting them have him would we be better off? We'd end up with the number two and three draft picks with a fair chance of Viney coming home in a couple of years.

Why would Viney go to Melbourne if they stiffed him in this year's draft? It wouldn't be "home" to him at all after that, plus a few years elsewhere. We shouldn't pass on him for any player if we want to be a club with character. I would be filthy if we did that to both Todd and Jack. We know he can play, we know he's as tough as nails and fears nothing. Isn't that exactly what we've been lacking for about a decade? No other player is worth more to us than what that represents - even if they are more talented.

Why would Viney go to Melbourne if they stiffed him in this year's draft? It wouldn't be "home" to him at all after that, plus a few years elsewhere. We shouldn't pass on him for any player if we want to be a club with character. I would be filthy if we did that to both Todd and Jack. We know he can play, we know he's as tough as nails and fears nothing. Isn't that exactly what we've been lacking for about a decade? No other player is worth more to us than what that represents - even if they are more talented.
exactly, I don't want us passing a quality player that we already know can cut it at senior level, then expect him to come back to us. I'd love it if we worried GWS out of bidding for him but i don't think it's gonna happen so we've just gotta match it

Well if the story about us not taking him if GWS bid is correct then his dad agrees with it and I'm sure they've considered it with Jack, but honestly who knows what's going on.

I think it would do more damage to club if we let him go elsewhere and I personally think the idea of him going to GWS / GC then coming home is fanciful

We finally get the benefit of a gun F/S recruit, we will not let him go elsewhere

Do exactly what they're doing. We all know Jack, if he is drafted by that idiot Sheedy and the GW$ morons, will have no interest in playing for them long term. His dad is a Demon and he's been expecting to come to the Dees for a while now. He'd know as well as anyone that GW$, if they picked him, would be doing so only out of spite. Viney is a gun but is not the no. 1 pick this year. As soon as he gets the opportunity he'll come straight to the Dees anyway.

I think it'd be good if Jack held a press conference and made it very clear his heart is at the Melbourne football club, and that only a bitter arsehole *cough* sheedy *cough*, would force him to go elsewhere.

I would LOVE him to do a Mal Michael/Essendon move and 'quit' AFL if he's drafted by GW$, only to come to Melbourne the following year :p.

Do exactly what they're doing. We all know Jack, if he is drafted by that idiot Sheedy and the GW$ morons, will have no interest in playing for them long term. His dad is a Demon and he's been expecting to come to the Dees for a while now. He'd know as well as anyone that GW$, if they picked him, would be doing so only out of spite. Viney is a gun but is not the no. 1 pick this year. As soon as he gets the opportunity he'll come straight to the Dees anyway.

I think it'd be good if Jack held a press conference and made it very clear his heart is at the Melbourne football club, and that only a bitter arsehole *cough* sheedy *cough*, would force him to go elsewhere.

I would LOVE him to do a Mal Michael/Essendon move and 'quit' AFL if he's drafted by GW$, only to come to Melbourne the following year :p.
Not worth the risk. There is every chance he would bond with his teammates, and if they started to win matches together, we'd never see him again. We shouldn't overestimate his love for the Demons - especially if he felt betrayed by us not using our pick on him. I know I wouldn't be happy about that at all.

GC or GWS will not bid on him. It just wont happen, the risk and the potential fallout is way too great for them.

He will be coming to the Demons for our 2nd rounder.

We will get two absolute guns (Wines and Toumpas?) at picks 3 and 4.

And then theres pick 13 to play with too.

Good times.

Are the scully compo picks enforced in f/s bdding rule?????

with the ladder as it is:

we will end up picks 3, 4(Compo) and probly about a 12 or so (compo) all in the first round. without trading our first second round pick would be in the late 30s

if GWS and GC pass on viney and we take a couple of other kids with 3 & 4 and then say a port adelaide take the option of viney with their first pick.

Do we have have to use our compo pick (~12) or our first second round pick???

getting viney with our first second round pick would be the ultimate result for us.

I honestly think that both GWS and GC will pull out of the Viney situation as the wraps on the top few are too much to pass on.

I think the club should play hard ball on the situation and make the heartbreaking decision if it comes to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are the scully compo picks enforced in f/s bdding rule?????

with the ladder as it is:

we will end up picks 3, 4(Compo) and probly about a 12 or so (compo) all in the first round. without trading our first second round pick would be in the late 30s

if GWS and GC pass on viney and we take a couple of other kids with 3 & 4 and then say a port adelaide take the option of viney with their first pick.

Do we have have to use our compo pick (~12) or our first second round pick???

getting viney with our first second round pick would be the ultimate result for us.

I honestly think that both GWS and GC will pull out of the Viney situation as the wraps on the top few are too much to pass on.

I think the club should play hard ball on the situation and make the heartbreaking decision if it comes to it.
no, we wouldn't have to use the compo picks on Viney, only 1st round 2nd round 3rd round picks amd so on are to be used on f/s selections so our next pick would be in the 20s

You take the best available, hopefully we start doing this
so we dont miss out on more kids the calibre of Dustin Martin.

If GWS do it they risk one of the first two picks in the draft and stand to gain a mid to late top ten pick and a slightly better second round pick. The likelyhood of us taking viney is high but I don't know if sheedy is quite crazy enough to bet his bottom dollar on it.

Mind games guys.

We don't have to bid until they do, so we'll see what happens.

All parties involved will of course be kept in the loop...

The kid is 178cms, not overly quick and was certainly no stand out today.

Should he go top 2, not even nearly.

Grundy dominated today and others were far more impressive than Viney.

How exactly would he come home in a couple of years - pretty sure you can only do that as a free agent ? As much as everyone in the draft is "highly touted" I would take a player that bleeds red & blue - is so tough mentally & physically with whatever pick needed !

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226412715126

"He (Todd) has got his lips shut about a few things, I don't think he's telling me too much," Viney said.

"He's just told me that if they don't reckon I'm worth what they have to use, then they won't pick me.

"I've just got to try and work hard this year and hopefully make it worthwhile at the pick."

A likely first round bid from Greater Western Sydney will mean the Dees will have to use their first choice, (currently No. 3) to pick the 178cm clearance machine.

While Viney said he would be "initially disappointed" to leave the club he has been training at in part for the past two years, the under-18 gem was happy to get an opportunity at any AFL club.

I'm loving that we are going to push this all of the way. We are going to really make Sheedy make a massive call to take him at 2, but more likely p1 given they have to play GC away still.

Back